Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What camera?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
restore2seater
Hi everyone. First post of my own to start.
I would like to buy a digital camera that would be used to upload pictures to this and other websites. Cost is an issue since most of the extra money goes to restoring 914. I suppose EBay would be one option but Im not sure I want to go that route. What does everybody use here? Taking pictures and getting them developed at a photolab takes too long and costs too much.
Bleyseng
We have had this discussion a few times before but I still recommend the Nikon 3700 as the most bang for the buck. Its been on sale for $153 at Butterflyphoto.com for awhile. 3.2 mega pixels with lots of other features like it fits in your shirt pocket.

Geoff
restore2seater
That was about the price I was hopeing for.
I guess I should have done a search before posting this.
SteveSr
I use a HP435, 3.1 mega pixels,also fits in your shirt pocket,accepts a Secure Digital memory card and is about $149.00 on HP's web site.

SteveSr
boxstr
Kodak EasyShare DX 6490 has been a good one for me. The thing I like is the docking station. You take pics, slip into the docking station, loads onto the computer and it charges the batteries.
Not sure on the cost, check your local retailer.
CCLINSAYCHEESE
type11969
I just got the Nikon 3700, I really like it. Good balance of size, battery life, features, cost, etc. If you are only looking for a garage camera, get an older camera off ebay for cheap from someone upgrading. Since you are already going to have to reduce the picture size to upload it to a website, no point in getting a camera with a big megapixel rating. Something in the 2mp range will probably be more than enough. Just a thought.
brant
Hi Pat...
nice to see a first post...
I had the same camera question a month ago...

I got a ton of helpful advice and links to do comparison shopping with...

I ended up going with the bigger lense. It was more than I initially intended to spend, but should work good for distance photos (track photos)

here should be the old thread:
old camera questions thread.
Carlitos Way
If you're frugal, try www.froogle.com

Shopping web site by Google. I've found some great prices on electronics in the past. make sure you check out specs and such... but usually it's a great resource once you know the item you want to buy.

Regards,

Carlos
ChrisFoley
I'm real happy with my Canon PowerShot S200.
Shiny metal case, compact size, Compact Flash card.
tbil
Check out the HP's on thier web site. Have the R607 (I think) which may be a few more $$ than you want to spend but they have some pretty good options at lower prices. Have been very happy with it.
seanery
my opinion here. Buy a camera from a camera company:
Nikon
Canon
Minolta
Pentax
Kodak
Sony
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 11 2004, 07:50 PM)
Sony

Sony is a TV/Radio company, not a camera company.
seanery
I was waiting for someone to say that.
~85% of all television you see is from Sony, they make very good cameras. Cannon glass is the glass most have.
vortrex
I just got the panasonic DMC-FX7, really nice but kinda expensive. you can get a 3MP canon SD200 in the $200 range.
Jake Raby
I have a Nikon cool pix 2100 and I love it..
Ctrout
DPReview has all the info you would ever need to know on this subject.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 11 2004, 10:56 AM)
Kodak EasyShare DX 6490 has been a good one for me. The thing I like is the docking station. You take pics, slip into the docking station, loads onto the computer and it charges the batteries.
Not sure on the cost, check your local retailer.
CCLINSAYCHEESE

Just read an article regarding the Easy Share. It's touted to be the most purchased, affordable and ease of use camera today. Personally, I haven't had a chance to pick one up for trial, just going by what my Photography mag spews wink.gif I'm going with the Cannon Digital Rebel. I now have an Olympus C-2100 ultra zoom. Great cameras beer.gif

.....b
RON S.
I bought a Kodak easyshare 4530 I think.
Really simple camera to use.I got it at a walmart.They had a package deal going,camera and a docking port for $280.00 .The camera is rated at 5mg-pix.
I will say that the photo editting sofware that comes with it sucks though.It's to limited in it's features.
Not much you can do with it.

Ron
davep
What I really look for now is the lense. The autofocus doesn't work with indoor lighting most of the time. The bigger the lense the more light it can collect, and the better everything works. The best thing is to try the camera before you buy. Be sure to test it indoors, and see if the autofocus still works. Most have no provision for manual focus, so if the AF doesn't work, then it is nearly useless. Also test moving targets. Trying to take pictures of my dogs is so hard because they are in constant motion. You see a good pose, press the button, and several seconds later the picture is taken, then you find the subject has already moved and the shot is wasted. They go through batteries like no tomorrow, and the rechargeables tend to fade far faster than the alkaline. Some newer cameras have a short movie capability, and newer still can record audio also. Look for a lense with a good optical zoom range.
tbil
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 11 2004, 04:50 PM)
Nikon
Canon
Minolta
Pentax
Kodak
Sony

With regards to buying form a camara company, keep in mind were talking digital here. In this arena, HP is a camera company.

You want expertise in CCD's and algorythms, not necessarly strengths of a traditional camara company. Optics are important as well and the camera companies of course have expertise there. HP does development work and supplies components, CCD's and algorythm's, for many of the camera companies.
Joe Bob
I just bought the Olympus 5.0 m/pixel....$299....my third one...I'm hard on them as I use them at work for picture evidence on my tickets....will take wide angle and bigger lenses with an adapter. Haven't needed those as yet.
anderssj
I've been using a Canon Powershot A60 for a year--really like it. The pictures surprise me sometimes . . .

B-17G ("Fuddy-Duddy") at Newport News/Wmsburg Airport a couple of weeks ago . . .
hargray2
This was a gift. Kinda off the wall brand, but they have some good stuff to say about it
on their site. It will do 90 minutes of video with audio with a 512SD card.
http://www.mustek.com/html/prod_camra/mdc4000.html
cnavarro
OMG, mustek still exists... I had one of their scanners 10+ years ago and it sucked even then!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
seanery
agree.gif I had one too! Scanned ok, but drivers and support were nonexistant! ohmy.gif
Rhodes71/914
Gotta put in my .02

First digital I had HP something POS
Second one was a Kodak before they came out with the doc thing it was good but a little big.
Now I have a Cannon power shot S50, prolly more camera than you need but they have cheaper models.
I like the Cannon best of all of them.
Have used a Nikon cool pix before and was impressed with it.
hargray2
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Nov 13 2004, 05:23 AM)
OMG, mustek still exists... I had one of their scanners 10+ years ago and it sucked even then!

You say Mustek sucked 'even then' like technology was better then.

I don't think my camera sucks. It will take just as good pictures as the popular brands.
Most cameras don't do audio with the video either. The camera was a birthday gift, but
I would buy another if something happened to it. I really like it.

They all use the same cheap ass internal components anyway.
restore2seater
Well I went with Geoffs pick. Nikon 3700 from http://butterflyphoto.com . I went to http://reviews.cnet.com to check out the camera. The negative comments about the camera didn't really concern me. They were mostly about options that I have no need of. Mostly for high end users of the camera. I just wanted a middle of the road camera. The price and options of the camera was perfect for my needs. The only drawback was the memory card. (16M) Too small. So I went to http://dealram.com and bought a 512M chip. The price was $42.00 and had a $15.00 rebate. The camera should be here in about a week or two.

Thanks for everones opinions. I really wasn't expecting this big of a response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.