Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kerry hunter header
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I want to spend a few hundred bucks on my 2.0 to get some extra HP. I am still running all stock ignition with stock cams and dual 40s. I like the price of the Kerry hunter headers over the tangerine headers. Should I invest in headers or make ignition upgrades first?

Are the Kerry hunters still available?
jcd914
Ignition upgrade does not get you more horsepower unless yours is not properly igniting your air/fuel charge currently. Ignition upgrade gets you reliability, less maintenance and might be necessary for a tweaked engine but your mostly stock and won't benefit.

I don't have direct experience with Kerry hunter headers but they seem to have a good reputation. Chris' headers are the best you can get and will perform and last accordingly.

Jim
timothy_nd28
If you upgrade your headers, wouldn't you lose having heat?
last337
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:58 AM) *

I have no heat as it is and don't really intend to fix it. It is only cold a few months of the year here in New Orleans and just keeping the windows up warms the car up pretty quick.

Is chris the guy at tangerine racing? I just can't justify that expense. Any other recommendations for less expensive alternatives?
wndsnd
Tangerine can do a heater box with their headers.
JamesM
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:24 AM) *

I have no heat as it is and don't really intend to fix it. It is only cold a few months of the year here in New Orleans and just keeping the windows up warms the car up pretty quick.

Is chris the guy at tangerine racing? I just can't justify that expense. Any other recommendations for less expensive alternatives?

Euro race is another option. they use stub pipes which makes things 100x easier.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 19 2013, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Euro race is another option. they use stub pipes which makes things 100x easier.

How about a link?
hydroliftin

[/quote]

How about a link?
[/quote]

Try High Performance House in Redwood City, CA. I think Rich may have the European Race Header. Last I heard Kerry Hunter was no longer making these but the web site is still up so you may be able to contact him. I have a Kerry Hunter that I got on eBay and I am guite happy with it. I sprayed it all over with bar b que high temp paint and it had not rusted in 5 years. Grass roots motorsports claimed a gain of 11 HP on the dyno with a stock 1.7. Some don't like the supertrapp muffler but with 8 disks in it, it is not too loud for street and flows well enough by my standards. For the money a used Kerry Hunter is a great deal.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jan 19 2013, 03:33 PM) *

Grass roots motorsports claimed a gain of 11 HP on the dyno with a stock 1.7.

I doubt it. shades.gif
struckn
I noticed a major improvement going from stock cam to one specific for carbs. Smoothed out the mid range transition while excellerating and just more everything power wise. It's a big job but worth it IMO, plus while inside you can take care of bearings and seals amoung other things.
last337
I didn't find any at high performance warehouse but did see some here but no price http://europeanracingheaders.com/products/914-4/

And these

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/p914.4-158hmm.htm

How loud is the supertrapp on the Kerry header?
edwin
Pretty sure the euro race headers aren't being made currently. Triad do a set very similar
hydroliftin
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 19 2013, 03:34 PM) *

I didn't find any at high performance warehouse but did see some here but no price http://europeanracingheaders.com/products/914-4/

And these

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/p914.4-158hmm.htm

How loud is the supertrapp on the Kerry header?

The supertrapp is louder than the Flowmaster type can you find on a euro race header. You have to call Rich at highperformancehouse.com. He is there M-F and sometimes on Sat. As you found out Paragon still shows the euro race. I'd call them to make sure before ordering.
Wegeng_Haus
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:25 AM) *

I want to spend a few hundred bucks on my 2.0 to get some extra HP. I am still running all stock ignition with stock cams and dual 40s. I like the price of the Kerry hunter headers over the tangerine headers. Should I invest in headers or make ignition upgrades first?

Are the Kerry hunters still available?

I bought my second KH header last year. The install is not difficult and the header performs great. I installed an 18" Supertrapp, which is rumbly, but not too loud. I am a peewee racer, so I can't go all in for the high dollar stuff, yet. The last KH header went through two auto-x seasons with no noticeable degredation, before I sold the car. I also call Kerry once or twice a year with questions and he is very cool. Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.