Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thought I broke it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
Went for a ride after work yesterday, its almost 60 here in mid-Jan!

Drove the back roads all around my house, and as I'm heading back home, I popped on small stretch of highway (about 2 miles) to get home.

Just as I get the car up to about 70, I hear something snap, like a spring, and it sounds like the spring is whipping or spinning. The noise appears to be coming from the front passenger wheel, or just behing the dash. My first thought was that the spring for the front hood let go and was banging around under the hood.

The car had no vibration and the brakes were fine, I slowed down and limped it to the exit, did a quick look under the hood, and in the wheel well. Nothing looked like a problem, I got back in, and drove it home, still making that noise like a spring clanking around. Did another quick inspection in the driveway, and couldn't find anything. I put it to bed, and planned pull the wheels this morning to see if I could find what happened.

This morning, as I go out there to jack up the car, the problem is staring me in the face...

The windshield trim popped out at the top, and was flapping in the breeze. It had seperated at the top center clip, but all pieces were in tact, and not bent. I was able to re-attach everything and make sure it was secure, and went for an even longer and more enjoyable ride today.
Can't tell you how relieved it feels to go from thinking something really serious broke, and is gonna cost significant cash, to taking 10 minutes to pop the trim back in place and go for a nice long drive... piratenanner.gif
914Sixer
It is truly is a good feeling to find out it was nothing major.
914Eric
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 19 2013, 12:28 PM) *

It is truly is a good feeling to find out it was nothing major.

agree.gif

Yea...Ya never know when that "Noise" is going to cost $500 or $2,000.
biosurfer1
I had that happen to my on the freeway too. Top was off and I had my hand resting on the windshield surround. The damn thing broke off, flung back onto my hand then off the car before I could react. Drew a little blood but overall not that bad. Plus having Mikey914 selling the trim, I didn't feel too bad!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.