Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
I'm considering putting flares on my '73 914. Body man tells me it will be $5K to mold flares to body, attach & paint. Also I'm going to add GT fenders front & back. I found complete fiberglass fenders with flare & fiberglass quarter panels with flares. Will these be easier/cheaper to install? Are they any good. Body guy told me fenders would be no problem, but quarter panels would be tough & that he would have to cut original quarters out to replace them. Are they that hard to do? Thanks
ConeDodger
I bought the steel flares in my Avatar for $600 during a group buy. Original customs mounted them up for about $2000. You need a new body man I think. Scottyb is on your end of the country...
Eric_Shea
He said paint as well. Also... I think you mean bumpers not fenders. $5k sounds cheap for all that but... confused24.gif
Steve
For steel flairs, Beach boys racing charged me 400.00 a corner or 1600 for all four. Paint is another story as most you know. It just depends on how nice of a paint job you want.
RON S.

5k is a lot of money to put out for adding fiberglass flares to a 4cyl 914. (Paint not withstanding). Which I'd assume you have.

If your body man is going to hack sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif up your quarters anyway, you may as well consider buying the available steel repo flares that a lot of us, myself included, have bought and installed welder.gif .

At least with the steel flares, you'll get your return on them at resale.

914 values have been on a slow rise over the years. Installing the steel flares over the fiberglass ones will surely increase it's value, and increase the public interest in your car should you ever wish to sell it. Besides, it's probably the same 5k either way you go.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

scotty b
you need to clarify between a fender, a 1/4 panel, and a bumper first. A fender and a 1/4 panel are one in the same. As Erc stated the 916 BUMPERS are additional pieces. If your bodyman is going to attatch the flares, mold into the body, FIT the 916 bumpers and smooth out and paint the whole car then 5K is a crack fix price. Go for it, but dont expect a show car.

NOW, if all he is doing is glassing the flares on and blending, bolting the bumers on as they arrive, and scuffing and shoooting the whole car, that is more in line with a 5K price. Again, don't expect a show piece for that money.

Also make certain he is going to use the proper bonding materials to attatch the fiberglass to metal, otherwise, you'll be seeing it in a few years. icon8.gif
GeorgeRud
agree.gif

If you're going to do it right, get the metal flares installed. The fiberglass ones should only be used on a racer where they're attached with removable fasteners in my opinion.

To each his own, but you'll never regret getting the metal flares. You will regret the fiberglass ones!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 19 2013, 05:34 PM) *

He said paint as well. Also... I think you mean bumpers not fenders. $5k sounds cheap for all that but... confused24.gif

confused24.gif What are you talking about E? Mark painted mine? av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
Maybe it's the light. I don't think he matched the silver very well... tongue.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 20 2013, 08:40 PM) *

Maybe it's the light. I don't think he matched the silver very well... tongue.gif

Huh... Looks fine to me. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.