Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No left side lights....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Working on the green car today and notice that I don't have any left side running lights (side marker, tailights, etc.). The right side is fine and the headlights work okay. Anything obvious to check?
jersey914
Have you checked all your fuses?
scotty b
Bill I had to F with both of those to get them working, but apparently they jiggled loose again. The problems are the bulbs are loose in the holders. If you look at the front side marker I actually had to shove a little piece of aluminum foil in there to get it to hold in place. Obviously that didn't do it sad.gif

I can guarantee you this is not a wiring issue. It is loose bulbs. Try new bulbs first, if that doesn't fix it, you may have to swap out the housings
Dave_Darling
Always a good policy to check the grounds any time you have an electrical issue. It might not be the cause, as Scotty says, but cleaning up the grounds can't do anything but good for the electrical system...

--DD
Drums66
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 20 2013, 01:42 PM) *

Always a good policy to check the grounds any time you have an electrical issue. It might not be the cause, as Scotty says, but cleaning up the grounds can't do anything but good for the electrical system...

--DD

....Always!
thumb3d.gif
messix
light switch
scotty b
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 20 2013, 02:49 PM) *

light switch

rolleyes.gif
billh1963
Didn't get a chance to check it out tonight. Had to drive upstate to pick up a "treasure trove" of 914 parts.

The entire left side is dark.... might be a ground issue
scotty b
is the front signal light working ? If it is then I'm betting it is the same loose bulb issue I ran into. When the side lights were out, everything else still worked. If you have lost the t.s. and tailights on the left side then there is def. another issue
Pat Garvey
Those bulb tabs are easily "worked" to get full contact with the bulbs. That's why God made thumbs!
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 20 2013, 08:26 PM) *

is the front signal light working ? If it is then I'm betting it is the same loose bulb issue I ran into. When the side lights were out, everything else still worked. If you have lost the t.s. and tailights on the left side then there is def. another issue

With the parking lights on, the entire left side is dead. Side marker, tail light, turn signal are dark. With the headlights on it's still dark on the left side; however, the headlight itself comes on.
904svo
With the ignition switch off and the left turn signal operated. here is the current path (gray/black) from the operated left turn signal, current flows through the operated switch to fuse #5 the other side of the fuse is wired to two gray/black wires one goes to the front lights the other to the rear lights. So fuse #5 should have voltage on both sides if it only has voltage on one side the fuse is bad or a bad connection, If no voltage is measured check the gray/black wire on the bottom
of turn signal switch if no voltage is measured you have a bad turn signal switch.

Hope this helps you out.
billh1963
Finally fixed the issue. I approached it methodically and in the course of troubleshooting I fixed the license plate lights, interior light, and reseated all the connections. Even after all that the side lights still weren't working. Going into the fuse box I pulled all the fuses and cleaned them and the connections. Turned the key back on and voila!.... total victory! beer.gif

Don't underestimate the value of clean connections! biggrin.gif
jersey914
That make's post #2 the winner.......I had the same exact problem and i just went out and bought all brand new fuses so I was starting fresh at the brain box. Those little bullet fuses corrode very easily. Glad to hear you are all powered up!

first.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Jan 27 2013, 01:40 PM) *

That make's post #2 the winner.......I had the same exact problem and i just went out and bought all brand new fuses so I was starting fresh at the brain box. Those little bullet fuses corrode very easily. Glad to hear you are all powered up!

first.gif

True!

beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.