Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waking up engine from a 20 yr slumber. UPDATE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
442nd914s
So I tried starting the engine for the first time since it was rebuilt to a 2056lt. Before being rebuilt, the car was in storage for 20 yrs. I already went thru the car replacing everything from hoses, fuel pump, shocks.....even the kitchen sink! So the engine will turn and only start for a bit when we spray gas down the TB. It sounds like it struggling to fire up like a diesel. Fuel delivery is good (new Bosch fuel pump), coil connections are good, grounds are good n tight. I am using a Pertronix system and a Msd Blaster coil. Only reason I have a blaster coil is because I plan on connecting a 6A Msd sytem after it starts and is timed in. My question is/are:
Am I doing wrong to use the blaster without the Msd system?
Here in Mo it has been well below 32 degress while tring to start the engine, shouldnt the cold start injector start to work? How can I tell if its working?
Any ideas what I maybe missing to make it fire up on its own?

I'm planning on checking fuel pressure tomorrow. Anything else?
Thanks for your help. Im open to the idea of anyone coming to help. Im in the Warrensburg KC area.
2.0 (2056} lt EFI all original
Mike Bellis
Have you set the injector (trigger) points in the distributor? They control the fuel trigger. It sounds like you are not getting fuel.
cwpeden
How do you set the trigger points? I've seen a tool for it but they arent readily available. Unless I make it myself on the lathe.

Are the gas lines hooked up the right way?
442nd914s
cheer.gif I have made FIRE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS7Og1zvdy8

After double and triple checking fuel lines she still hesitated in starting. I then had a crazy idea to disconnect the cold start injector. Perhaps its the freeking cold Missouri weather but after disconnecting it, she arouse from the dead after 20 years in storage.
Tomorrow I will time her in and take her to stretch out her legs w00t.gif
Jmedeiros
Just a thought, do you have the plug wires in the correct firing order?
Jmedeiros
Excellent news!! Sorry I suggested the firing order before seeing your successfull fire news!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.