Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Rear bumper issue also rear spoiler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dasnowman
Hi guys I picked up some used 916 bumpers of a fellow teener and the front bumper seems to fit great. But the rear bumper really doesn't line up or fit well at all, anyone have any ideas? Where is the top lip of the bumper supposed to line up on the rear of the car and also the side indents don't seem to match well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
JamesM
did you install these with the dog bones? looks like they are spaced out quite a bit. On mine they are bolted on directly with no spacers.
scotty b
Do yourself a favor. Throw it away and buy a new one. You'll be WAAAAAAY ahead of the game. There were a couple manufacturers for those and you seem to have gotten one of the worst ones, plus it looks like it is full of bondo.
Dr Evil
Scotty has HOURS into making my set fit my car perfectly. Hear his pain! wink.gif
Dasnowman
Anyone have a close up of what the finish bumper should look like. I can get the bumper to come in closer as the bottom is hitting the exhaust but body lines seem weird on the sides.

Also the rear spoiler has no bolts or mounting holes ?? Looks like it was installed before...
GeorgeRud
Welcome to the world of aftermarket fiberglass! Fitting these pieces makes the original price seem expensive when you figure out the time involved.

If labor is cheap (ie your time), enjoy your project. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
Phoenix-MN
It took nearly 40 hrs to fit and shape my 916 front and rear bumpers. The front was the worst
monkeyboy
That's fiberglass. My neighbor who does show car work for a living has told me that good fiberglass parts are shit and it goes downhill from there.
ww914
My front fit fine as did the rear with little reshaping. I did make brackets out of aluminum because they fit on an angle. The so-called "dog bones" would not have worked on my 75. I did have to re-shape the exhaust holes to make the Triad pipes fit better. I have spent hours on this work. I have removed all of the orange paint to find a lot of bondo. Some I fixed with resin and fiberglass. Today I am spraying the primer coat to see what it really looks like. I plan to paint them the same color as the car later today or tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

By the way, if I had it to do over, I would have bought brand new ones. I would have saved many hours of preparation. I would have done this even though mine fit pretty nicely. Well, if I go wide, I will have to do it anyway.
Dasnowman
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 23 2013, 07:53 AM) *

My front fit fine as did the rear with little reshaping. I did make brackets out of aluminum because they fit on an angle. The so-called "dog bones" would not have worked on my 75. I did have to re-shape the exhaust holes to make the Triad pipes fit better. I have spent hours on this work. I have removed all of the orange paint to find a lot of bondo. Some I fixed with resin and fiberglass. Today I am spraying the primer coat to see what it really looks like. I plan to paint them the same color as the car later today or tomorrow.

By the way, if I had it to do over, I would have bought brand new ones. I would have saved many hours of preparation. I would have done this even though mine fit pretty nicely. Well, if I go wide, I will have to do it anyway.

Looking good thanks for the post it really helped a lot. I like the orange blue 76 combo love to see it when it's matching it going to look good.
Yes my front fits like that but ya the rear looks like it needs a ton of work, I'm on a budget so I might try to make it work.
Tom
Warren.
I remember seeing pictures of the rear bumper on the car they came off of and the Triad outlets were centered fairly well. Work was supposedly done by a reputable body shop. I never test fit them to my car, but the Triad on my car is 42.5" driver's side inside outlet pipe to pass inside outlet pipe. Wonder if the dimensions changed a little over the years?
I think even new ones are going to take some fitment. My guess would be the front fit so well because it had been fitted, modified, and installed previously. All of these cars seems to differ slightly in dimensions. I think the Phoenix Red looks good against the Blue!
Tom
ww914
QUOTE(Tom @ Jan 23 2013, 12:53 PM) *

Warren.
I remember seeing pictures of the rear bumper on the car they came off of and the Triad outlets were centered fairly well. Work was supposedly done by a reputable body shop. I never test fit them to my car, but the Triad on my car is 42.5" driver's side inside outlet pipe to pass inside outlet pipe. Wonder if the dimensions changed a little over the years?
I think even new ones are going to take some fitment. My guess would be the front fit so well because it had been fitted, modified, and installed previously. All of these cars seems to differ slightly in dimensions. I think the Phoenix Red looks good against the Blue!
Tom

Hi Tom

Actually the holes for the Triad are untouched in the photo I posted. I have since closed up the opening a little. Probably would have been fine, but I am kind of anal.
I got them sprayed today with primer. Hopefully Laguna Blue tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I am trying to get them done and installed on the car for a run on Sunday. Again, if it doesn't rain.
Jon H.
Not sure what look your going for but mine were blended into the body. With the looks of the bumper you have that might have been what was done to it before.
David_S
I also blended mine to the body for that seamless look. I dont know that I have any good pics of the rear yet, but my avatar is of my front !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.