Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: voltage to horn pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
What is the voltage to horn pad supposed to be? I am trying to troubleshoot mine. I pulled pad off and made connection to metal plate and got nothing. I slapped it back on and left plug disconnected and then horn would go off intermittently as wheel turned. I am pretty sure I have a bad connection but was wondering what to check for with my voltmeter to check.
SLITS
It's a ground ... not a power wire.
last337
Well I wonder if the steering pad is poorly grounded or the wire coming through wheel is bad. I guess I can run an extra wire and find out.
Nine_14
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 23 2013, 02:44 PM) *

It's a ground ... not a power wire.

agree.gif

To check this, use ohmmeter.
SLITS
Horn Power Circuit:

Red wire from battery to fuse #11. Fuse #11 red wire to horn relay terminal 30. Power to the solenoid in relay comes from Fuse #8 (red w/ white trace) to terminal 86 on relay. To activate relay, a brown w/ white trace goes to the steering column switch (copper contact ring in steering column).

From the relay, a Black w/ yellow trace goes to the horn(s). Horns are grounded at a multiple ground (Brown wire) near the front end of the car and I don't remember which side the multiple ground is located.

So, the wire you see that attaches to the horn pad comes from the copper ring underneath the steering wheel. When grounded it completes the circuit to pull the horn relay in, which then activates the power wire to the horn(s).

The colors and circuit are from a '73 wiring diagram.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.