Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 1.7 D-Jetronic on a '74 1.8, any thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Stowers
Having recently bought a '73 1.7 ( sold to me as a 2.0!!) I discovered its been fitted with a '74 1.8 engine. It was sold with the D jetronic parts which I plan to fit instead of the current carb setup. Anyone done this? Our UK Guru, Kevin, tells me it will be fine but JawjaPorsche says the compression is different and may cause issues. Any thoughts?
I've tried to mail the previous owner but one, 'Kendog' on here to try and get some history but no reply yet, did anyone know this Zambezi green car from the MA area?
ThanksClick to view attachment
SLITS
As long as you use the complete D-Jet setup it should be fine. The 1.8 L-Jet injectors were slightly different in connection and had different flow characteristics. A small increase in fuel pressure would accommodate a higher fuel flow from the 1.7 injectors.

Supposedly, the 1.8 runners are larger in diameter than the 1.7 runners.

Compression would not really be a concern.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Spoke
I have a 1.8L running on a '71 1.7L DJET induction system. Seems to run ok. Not sure what the HP is.
type47
Given that the car is 30ish years old, the engine could be built to 2L specs on a 1.7 case (assume you ID'd the serial number of the case to support your statement that it's a 1.7). I think I remember someone saying that the 1.7 cases are desirable because of their "web construction" (something to do with the support of the case....strength of the case...), so it could be you have a good set-up; it'd be nice if the PO verifies a good build.... That said, you would like to also know if the engine has a cam designed for carbs or FI before putting FI back on....

edit: Whoops, upon rereading I see you say 1.8, same comment about the engine built to 2L specs....
David Stowers
Definately 1.8 case but internals unknown, would like to track down 'Kendog' if possible
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.