Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Design the ultimate 914 garage!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
Looking at buying a new house. Sits on 5 acres and has a roughly 30x60 metal (Morton Building) barn on it. Less than 10 years old, wired and has water (including bathroom). No HVAC at this point.

Click to view attachment

If I buy this house the barn will get converted to a garage. Obviously, it will have a lift(s) and will eventually get HVAC (will need to be insulated first). So, if this were your garage, what would you do to it? Would you build a tool room along the back to lock up your tools? This barn will need to hold 5 to 6 small cars at any one time (currently have 4 914's and 2 TR-6's). I have attached a drawing (close...not totally accurate) of the garage to help the creative juices flow. How would you lay this out?

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Have a dirty side for grinding and welding on cars.

Have a clean side for assembly, tweaking, storage and display of cars.

Paint booth if you are into that.

On the clean side, you could have a bar, some seating, TV, etc. and not worry about getting griding crap and dirt all over it.

I hate having a regular garage that is always getting filthy from cleaning and fabrication.

John
draganc
You should encounter for following areas: car storage (easy access), parts storage, tools for every day (1-2 carts), tools storage, clean working space (i.e. workbench) and dirty work space (grinding, cutting, welding, cleaning).

For insulation, I would suggest www.insofast.com, very easy to install and good r-value.

Good luck!
stuttgart46
You should probably pad the walls because you must have screw lose to have 4 914's and 2 TR-6's. LOL
I'm just jealous. I wish I had that much space.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

Pave the yard and put a "Bill's Used Cars" sign up at the head of the driveway and you're in business!

biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jan 23 2013, 04:16 PM) *

You should probably pad the walls because you must have screw lose to have 4 914's and 2 TR-6's. LOL
I'm just jealous. I wish I had that much space.

It's not mine yet...looking hard at this!
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 23 2013, 04:30 PM) *

agree.gif

Pave the yard and put a "Bill's Used Cars" sign up at the head of the driveway and you're in business!

biggrin.gif

You have to sell the cars to put up a sign like that! It doesn't work for hoarders lol-2.gif
SUNAB914
Shitter, sink, enough voltage to run all the goodies and expand in the future. Loft to keep parts in. Office to hide in when tired. Air hose docking stations. Alignment pit. Alarm system. Stereo system. Just a few thoughts.
When's the party!! Very nice possibilities.
Eric_Shea
You have to sell the cars to put up a sign like that! It doesn't work for hoarders

Just put rediculous prices on them. your wife will think you're at least trying (she might even feel sorry for ya) biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Insulate
Install a mini-split heat pump for summer and winter wrenching
Get a 2-post lift (since there seems to be plenty of room for car storage)
High amp sub-panel
Plenty of lights and outlets!
Clean and dirty work sides

With all that and tools to do the work, you should be set.
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 23 2013, 04:43 PM) *

You have to sell the cars to put up a sign like that! It doesn't work for hoarders

Just put rediculous prices on them. your wife will think you're at least trying (she might even feel sorry for ya) biggrin.gif

No wife...I'm twice divorced. Now you know why I have so many cars and other toys! I learned it is much cheaper (and easier) to date and discard than to marry them. lol-2.gif
ThePaintedMan
I'm a bodywork nut, so mine would definitely have a booth. But a bar is a must as well, and much cheaper and would get used more often!
billh1963
Well, the house a very large attached 2 car garage and also has a room over the garage that would hold my pool table. So, most entertaining would be at the house.

I would have a fridge in this building as well as lots of chairs for hosting a transmission rebuild clinic or something something similar! smile.gif
scotty b
chair in the middle of the floor. Dim light bulb swinging above it. Battery, duct tape and jumper cables on the floor.......

Then throw a house warming party for the neighbors
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 23 2013, 05:42 PM) *

chair in the middle of the floor. Dim light bulb swinging above it. Battery, duct tape and jumper cables on the floor.......

I'm going to cancel my future plans to visit Scotty's shop next time I travel through Va.
billh1963
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 23 2013, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 23 2013, 05:42 PM) *

I'm going to cancel my future plans to visit Scotty's shop next time I travel through Va.

Only visit during daylight hours! biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Just ask Matt...
Andyrew
I would reserve a corner for a dirty/clean area. Something that could hold in all the dust of sanding and bodywork, have proper vents to outside, but could double as a paint booth and therefore have walls and ceiling that can be sprayed down clean with water. Like I said this would be enclosed. I would go with double doors for getting the cars in. Make it big enough to fit a modern mid size sedan with 2 feet of room each side length wise and 4 feet of room width wise.

Elliot Cannon
To someone with a 17'X17' garage, that looks fantastic. When you're done, I think your place would be perfect for the East Coast Ramble. Of course not until you finish the Auto Cross track. stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
Here you go... Not really anywhere for the girls to change outfits but I got the stage and pole setup... biggrin.gif

whip[1].gif jerkit.gif threesome.gif

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 06:51 PM) *

Here you go... Not really anywhere for the girls to change outfits but I got the stage and pole setup... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

That is awesome.... aktion035.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 23 2013, 06:35 PM) *

I would reserve a corner for a dirty/clean area. Something that could hold in all the dust of sanding and bodywork, have proper vents to outside, but could double as a paint booth and therefore have walls and ceiling that can be sprayed down clean with water. Like I said this would be enclosed. I would go with double doors for getting the cars in. Make it big enough to fit a modern mid size sedan with 2 feet of room each side length wise and 4 feet of room width wise.

Great design, Andrew. The reality is I don't see myself getting into paint work. Learning to weld is a possibility; however, paint is probably not in my future! biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 23 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Great design, Andrew. The reality is I don't see myself getting into paint work. Learning to weld is a possibility; however, paint is probably not in my future! biggrin.gif

agree.gif leave the welding, bodywork & paint to Scotty and make a reassembly and mechanic area for you to play.
Tom
kg6dxn,
That's sick, I like it! But that would require at least one other "barn". LOL!!
Tom
Tom_T
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 23 2013, 01:59 PM) *

I learned it is much cheaper (and easier) to date and discard than to marry them. lol-2.gif

huh.gif ... the women or the cars Bill? ... must mean the women, cuz waaaay too many cars! laugh.gif

Check that clear ht. under the ceiling joists or roof truss bottom chords.

When I visited Jeff Bowlsby's garage a few years back we measured what he had clear under lowest beam to floor at his 4-poster lift, & it was about 11'-6" IIRC to lift for a 914 top & bottom.

More ht. would be required for taller vehicles top &/or bottom of the lift.

Assuming you're looking to stack more cars in there that is. There are also a couple of lift mfgrs. who make the tandem HD double width lifts. They advertise in the car mags.

I'd also look to open up the long side walls for access with several doors & load in sideways with the lifts, assuming you have room to put a driveway access over there. that way you can avoid shuffling cars so much. It will require structural reinforcement around those added doors to compensate for lost wall area (lateral resistance diaphram).

I'd insulate - over-insulate - add vapor barrier & drywall the whole thing - walls & ceiling, do the heavy storage on racks or a reinforced ceiling over the bath/office/work rooms, with lighter storage up in the "attic" created above the drywall (may need structural reinforcing). Also do a good patch, prep & seal then epoxy coat that floor. You can add HVAC or a heat pump etc. when you're ready, as well as a humidity control there in SC.

Most all of the other advice & ideas is good, but you'll have to pick those best suited to you.

Of course the strip club idea is always an option, and may make you more popular than cars & BBQ! biggrin.gif

Oh - and lose the chicken pens on the right & clean up the poop! lol-2.gif

IPB Image

shades.gif
r_towle
I would suggest you start with insulating it immediately.
You will never get another chance to have a clean barn.

Do it now, or regret it when you have to move everything later.

This comes from a guy with a 140 long barn that was empty....now its not...
Insulate it now, trust me.

rich
billh1963
Good points on the insulation!

dcheek
[/quote]No wife...I'm twice divorced. Now you know why I have so many cars and other toys! I learned it is much cheaper (and easier) to date and discard than to marry them. lol-2.gif
[/quote]

You will appreciate my 2 favorite quotes regarding women:

"Women, you can't live with them, and, you can't live with them!"

"Every women is a bitch except your mother but, she was a bitch to your father".

Dave
moparrob
Another quote from my wise friend 'Rick' - "If it flies, floats or fu$'ks - lease it". Words from a wise Vietnam vet.
SUNAB914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 04:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

PERFECT!
We'll call it the PINK Panther.
DRPHIL914
So you are thinking about this rather than building that expanded garage on your current property? sounds like a good idea!

this has lots of potential!!!! - of course you need a paved drive to keep those garage queens clean!! - and extra parking for the frequent visits of other 914 enthusiasts!

1. Insulate - maybe the closed cell foam stuff, that way you dont have to worry about roaches, rats and other critters making their home in it the vapor barrier taken care of that way too,

2. commercial HVAC heat/cooling for those nice 106degree S.C. summer days!

3. 2 lifts - think about this- probably a 4 pole lift that can also park another car under it, then a separate mechanic's lift

4. tools: compressor, mobile tool boxes as previously discussed,

5. Audio/visual - 65" LED LCD TV- you could even do a video teleconferencing tranny clinic if the good Dr. Evil could not get away due to the practice and new bambino, - also great while having a group work day to have the game on, or the race, etc

i have a feeling the more you think about it the more you will want to do this!

is it in town , or out in the country?

-drawings coming later-----
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 24 2013, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 04:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

PERFECT!
We'll call it the PINK Panther.

That is a great name! lol-2.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jan 24 2013, 11:32 AM) *

Another quote from my wise friend 'Rick' - "If it flies, floats or fu$'ks - lease it". Words from a wise Vietnam vet.

It took me two tries to figure that out! laugh.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 24 2013, 12:04 PM) *

So you are thinking about this rather than building that expanded garage on your current property? sounds like a good idea!

this has lots of potential!!!! - of course you need a paved drive to keep those garage queens clean!! - and extra parking for the frequent visits of other 914 enthusiasts!

1. Insulate - maybe the closed cell foam stuff, that way you dont have to worry about roaches, rats and other critters making their home in it the vapor barrier taken care of that way too,

2. commercial HVAC heat/cooling for those nice 106degree S.C. summer days!

3. 2 lifts - think about this- probably a 4 pole lift that can also park another car under it, then a separate mechanic's lift

4. tools: compressor, mobile tool boxes as previously discussed,

5. Audio/visual - 65" LED LCD TV- you could even do a video teleconferencing tranny clinic if the good Dr. Evil could not get away due to the practice and new bambino, - also great while having a group work day to have the game on, or the race, etc

i have a feeling the more you think about it the more you will want to do this!

is it in town , or out in the country?

-drawings coming later-----

It's more in the country...but very close to the interstate! Five acres with a pond, nice house, fenced in.
Tom_T
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 24 2013, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jan 24 2013, 11:32 AM) *

It took me two tries to figure that out! laugh.gif

....or Bill, you can do the Mante Te'O thing, & just date imaginary gals, then save the cost of all those date dinners & drinks for more cars/stuff! lol-2.gif

Get a good cell plan though for that! laugh.gif
7TPorsh
Won't work for me...have to see the pole while sitting at the bar.
bandjoey
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 23 2013, 06:26 PM) *

That's ok. Girls like original body paint. Nothing fancy as long as your artistic.
billh1963
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 24 2013, 03:11 PM) *

That's ok. Girls like original body paint. Nothing fancy as long as your artistic.

Might have to learn bodywork and body paint faster than I thought! evilgrin.gif
SUNAB914
Fishing pond, I'm there!
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 24 2013, 07:09 PM) *

Fishing pond, I'm there!

Actually, the water is very clear right now and I saw some very big fish in there. Not sure what they were (definitely not catfish smile.gif )!
carr914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 06:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

You need to get your priorities in Order - Bar, Bathroom, Work Area, Storage

beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 23 2013, 08:44 PM) *

I would suggest you start with insulating it immediately.
You will never get another chance to have a clean barn.

Do it now, or regret it when you have to move everything later.

rich

agree.gif
flippa
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 03:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Where is the champagne room? confused24.gif
Porsche930dude

id swap the lift with the dirty work area. that way your tools are closer together and you dont have to walk as far going back and forth
ottox914
I didn't see an excessive amount of jack stands noted in any of the designs.

Really?
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 23 2013, 08:44 PM) *

rich

More like a 140' cave - as I went deeper I started watching out for cave trolls and worrying about awakening the Balrog... unsure.gif

There were all kinds of treasures laying about too! w00t2.gif
Dasnowman

My buddies shop has a full band setup over 1/4 the shop upstairs drums, amps, internet with a 6' pulldown screen that can be seen upstairs and down. Pool table under the loft with bar sink, fridge, more tv's and wood stove that heats the shop up really fast.

Can't wait till my 914 is drivable so it can join his 69 VW bug and late 50's VW double barn door cargo Van for the parties.
KELTY360
Outlets everywhere...can't have too many. Drop down outlets in the center. Lots of perimeter lighting and fill spotlights. Build a platform or mezzanine around the lift so you have access to the upper part of the car when it's in the air. Make sure that the concrete floor is thick enough for a lift.

This will seem like a little thing, but an indoor motion sensor light aimed at the entry door ensures you'll always have light when entering and leaving.

It may look like a lot of space but remember this basic law of fizziks: Nature abhors a vacuum. Enjoy!

bandjoey
and don't forget bars on the windows and a good burglar alarm..seriously.
billh1963
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 27 2013, 02:56 PM) *

and don't forget bars on the windows and a good burglar alarm..seriously.

Absolutely...cameras, alarm, and smoke detectors
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.