Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proud New Owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wolfeman1727
Hi all,
I am the ecstatic new owner of a slightly neglected 1973 914, 1.7 model which someone has put a 2.0 in.

I got the car with first gear problems and ended up having to take apart the tranny and replace the first gear synchro and dogteeth... which I did myself successfully with out terrible difficulty. I got to Drive this sweet little thing around for about a week and the engine sputtered and died on me.

It doesn't get gas
-replaced the fuel pump
-replaced the filter
still no avail

The leads in the fuel pump plug read a laughable .2 volts when the ignition is on and the engine turned over.
Im not getting the power
-replaced relay
-cleaned all connections on the regulator plate

Im getting 12 volts across the leads attached to the relay, but the relay isnt closing my circuit.

Any Ideas??
I miss driving the darn thing! pray.gif
rick 918-S
You may have a bad relay board or a bad replacement relay. Take a relay from one of the headlight motors and try that. welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif

Dave_Darling
Fuel injected? If so, the ECU ("brain") grounds one pin of the relay to run the fuel pump. It will do that for about 1.5 seconds when the key goes from "off" to "on", then again while the starter is cranking, and also when the engine is running over about 50 RPM.

That assumes the D-jetronic injection that was originally used on all of the 1.7 and 2.0 914s. The 1.8's L-jetronic injection ran the pump when the flap in the air meter was opened. Carb setups will typically run the pump while the key is on, but that is up to the person who converted the car to carbs.

Brad Anders has a troubleshooting flowchart on his D-jet site: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders .

--DD
Elliot Cannon
Are you anywhere close to Paso Robles?
wolfeman1727
All the connections on the board looked good, and I swapped several relays just for fun.

I will confirm connections on the plate with a meter tomorrow and see if there are any issues there.
The system is definitely D-jet

wolfeman1727
I'm currently out of Stockton, Paso Robles would be a little bit of a drive haha
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(wolfeman1727 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:45 PM) *

Hi all,
I am the ecstatic new owner of a slightly neglected 1973 914, 1.7 model which someone has put a 2.0 in.

I got the car with first gear problems and ended up having to take apart the tranny and replace the first gear synchro and dogteeth... which I did myself successfully with out terrible difficulty. I got to Drive this sweet little thing around for about a week and the engine sputtered and died on me.

It doesn't get gas
-replaced the fuel pump
-replaced the filter
still no avail

The leads in the fuel pump plug read a laughable .2 volts when the ignition is on and the engine turned over.
Im not getting the power
-replaced relay

Im getting 12 volts across the leads attached to the relay, but the relay isnt closing my circuit.

Any Ideas??

There are a few of us that are within 30 minutes of you! I am in Discovery Bay and at least 4 others are close too! If you need some eyes I am sure we could find someone to come out help you get it going again!

It sounds like your relay or your Fuel Pump is having an issue.
76-914
here ya go.......... http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm
mtndawg
Come on wolfeman! A new owner post with no pics. A picture is worth 1000 words.

QUOTE(wolfeman1727 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:45 PM) *

Hi all,

It doesn't get gas
-replaced the fuel pump
-replaced the filter
still no avail

Im not getting the power
-replaced relay

Any Ideas??

wolfeman1727
ALRIGHT, alright... here's a picture of the new obsession laugh.gif Click to view attachment
pt_700
although rare, the brains do go bad.

my '71 1.7 was down for months as i tried to diagnose issues similar to yours (no signal to the injectors when cranking the motor, in my case).

after i broke down and took it to a pro, he spent hours covering the basics before swapping an ecu from a running car and she started right up.

good luck and let us know how things turn out.

oh, welcome to the madness!
wolfeman1727
There are a few of us that are within 30 minutes of you! I am in Discovery Bay and at least 4 others are close too! If you need some eyes I am sure we could find someone to come out help you get it going again!

It sounds like your relay or your Fuel Pump is having an issue.

I'm Going to try and do a little more investigation and research for now, But I greatly appreciate the offer, and may take someone up on it soon.
I'll let ya know
bandjoey
Filter Inside the gas tank plugged? Run the pump out of a gas can to see if the tank/ line is plugged up.

Old gas varnish plugging up injectors or carb jets?

Temporarily run a hot 12v wire to the pump?

Great looking car!

Jeffs9146
beerchug.gif
442nd914s
idea.gif Do I spy vinyl A pilars? Is this one of those 1000 Ca cars?
As for the fuel pump problem. If it has the original factory wiring. Brown is ground to the fuel pump. I would get a small 5ft jumper wire from the battery and go directly to the + side of the pump to verify the pump works.
Step 2. Remove hose from the in of your filter. Gravity should push down the fuel in the tank and spill out. If not then u have a bad fuel line. Obviously this step will only verify fuel to the filter, not your voltage problem.
Good luck
SirAndy
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Jan 24 2013, 03:32 PM) *

agree.gif

Looks like one of the elusive 1000 first of '73 ...
idea.gif
wolfeman1727
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 24 2013, 04:07 PM) *

agree.gif

idea.gif

I'm afraid there isn't any vinyl on my pillars, this car was factory white and was painted...sloppily
wolfeman1727
The tank was just filled up when I developed this issue... and it all drained nicely from the hose attached to the pump... no clogs or bad lines.

Im pretty confident my lack of voltage is the issue at this point.
Time to double check all my fuses and connections
442nd914s
QUOTE(wolfeman1727 @ Jan 24 2013, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 24 2013, 04:07 PM) *

agree.gif

idea.gif

I'm afraid there isn't any vinyl on my pillars, this car was factory white and was painted...sloppily

When I lived in Ca (Compton to be exact) this kind of paint jobs were popular
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PtjdHaMeiiQ...v%3DPtjdHaMeiiQ
wolfeman1727
After much touching, unplugging, testing It started right up...

We bypassed the relay to test the pump, which worked beautifully... and then re- installed the relay...and the dammed thing worked.

I'm back on the road for now driving.gif
Thanks guys! beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
etcmss
oxide on leads that you cleared up by unplugging? splice somewhere in the wire to the fuel pump that won't allow power through (intermittent)? i hope the gremlin stays gone.
Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.