Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salt is not Healthy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
That's not snow. It's BALTIMORE

wacko.gif

My daily driver is runnin great. Been driving every day from York to Baltimore.

Bring it on......

ar15.gif smash.gif stirthepot.gif welder.gif driving.gif
bozo914
Be afraid, be veerry afraid. The salt worms are at work....... huh.gif
billh1963
Pretty car. I won't say anything about salt and 914's not mixing.... dry.gif
Nine_14
You can boil some eggs on the engine...... take some salt from the street smile.gif
rmital
wow....I thought NJ was generous with their salt spreaders.
at that rate, Baltimore's going to run out of their supply before the end of the Winter.

...and no matter what anyone says, glad to see you driving the car. I'm sure you smile more than the average Northeast 914 owner on a daily basis. flag.gif
lanker88
Most states are switching to a sand compound instead of salt for that very reason. The salt is actually really messing with local habitats and vegetation and then the run off is messing with water ways. In the next 5 years you wont see salt down on a road for snow at all. smile.gif THEREFORE, its going to be great for us 914 guys!
Nine_14
QUOTE(lanker88 @ Jan 25 2013, 10:19 PM) *

Most states are switching to a sand compound instead of salt for that very reason. The salt is actually really messing with local habitats and vegetation and then the run off is messing with water ways. In the next 5 years you wont see salt down on a road for snow at all. smile.gif THEREFORE, its going to be great for us 914 guys!

In Germany engineers are going to experience with heated roads, especially on dangerous areas like bridges etc. to reduce salt usage. Using geothermal energy for this, but ist's a expensive way.

CG-914
I remember that we had sand with a little salt in Germany not great but better then here in Tennessee, they get freak out from one flake of snow, result is the equation 1'' of snow = 5'' of salt! barf.gif ar15.gif

Love the fact that you drive your car every day though first.gif !
914Eric

That is awesome...and a 73 DJet. Love to hear that.

Gives me hope that my 40 year old 73 DJet will be reliable once I'm all done going through it.
jsayre914
D-Jet is VERY reliable. Sexy too. shades.gif
MDG
Straight sand is brutal. Treacherous driving once the snow melts down to a wet road. Mixes with the sand and it's worse than ice. They use a salt/sand mix here.

I've never seen that much salt residue left over before as in Joe's pic. That's nuts. I doubt Toronto uses half that much salt all year.
crash914
it was bad the other day...no plowing or anything of the freeway...40 mph ride all the way in to balt..
Elliot Cannon
I spent a few nasty winters in South Dakota when I was in the Air Force. They used to use pea gravel to help with traction in the snow. When the snow melted, they would retreave it with street sweepers and use it again the next year. Of course, that was a loooong time ago. laugh.gif
euro911
My neighbor, Dave, was stationed at Ellsworth - said it was colder than a witch's ...
mepstein
Joe - Congrats on driving your car all year long while (most of) the rest of us watch them sit in our garage.
914Eric
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 25 2013, 03:28 PM) *

Super job. Is that pic right after you did your 2056 build?
jsayre914
QUOTE(914Eric @ Jan 25 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Yup driving.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 25 2013, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(914Eric @ Jan 25 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Yup driving.gif

Looks great. beerchug.gif Good to see that you got this all ironed out Joe...and very glad to hear about the reliability of D-Jet - that's what I am rolling with.
tod914
Some cheapo steelies might serve you well for winter driving. The salt will eat into the fuchs.
jsayre914
914 Abuse !!!
happy11.gif driving.gif
McMark
You might think about driving without rockers. wink.gif
jsayre914
Rockers are coming off within next few days for the car wash.
FERG.gif
Spoke
The roads around here look just like that after a 1 inch snowfall on Friday night.

The PA turnpike uses huge amounts of salt. The last time I was on the turnpike, my car turned absolutely white. There was so much salt on the back of the car that I couldn't read my license plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.