Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bug/Bus Seal or 914 Version?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
Will an engine bay seal for a Typ1 or 2 (Beetle/Bus) fit the engine shroud area in the engine bay of a 914? They look to be the same cross section but the 914 version ( 914 504 117 10) is 10 times as expensive....Any thoughts??
walterolin
Have you looked at 914Rubber.com? Mark makes nice stuff, prices are reasonable and he is happy to talk to you. And the engine seal will be the right one.
lennyhope
QUOTE(walterolin @ Jan 26 2013, 08:05 PM) *

Have you looked at 914Rubber.com? Mark makes nice stuff, prices are reasonable and he is happy to talk to you. And the engine seal will be the right one.

I'm in England. I have used 914 Rubber before and pleased with them...A bug seal, if can be modified, can be had for as little as equivalent of $7....
Mikey914
That's actually the question I asked myself 5 years ago that got this all rolling. I was unable to find a bus or 911 seal that fit. They were too short and the bulb was too small for the track. I'm not saying you can't use one, it just will not fit right, and will probably pop off the tin.

One of the reasons the shipping is so expensive is the set of all 4 weigh 6lbs. I can see if i have a single laying around, but for the most part I bundle these into sets as I don't have the luxury of shelfspace.
-Mark
lennyhope
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 26 2013, 10:53 PM) *

That's actually the question I asked myself 5 years ago that got this all rolling. I was unable to find a bus or 911 seal that fit. They were too short and the bulb was too small for the track. I'm not saying you can't use one, it just will not fit right, and will probably pop off the tin.

One of the reasons the shipping is so expensive is the set of all 4 weigh 6lbs. I can see if i have a single laying around, but for the most part I bundle these into sets as I don't have the luxury of shelfspace.
-Mark

I have the engine out and ready to go back in.....Then i realised the seal was worn bad....I guess i cant replace when back in!? Let me know if you can manage a single item and a total inc shipping. Just been on to Mittelmotor and they can do one for $87 US incl. shipping. Much appreciated.
euro911
The only thing I see different is the orientation of the engine (being in backwards). Try the seals from a bus that has a Type-4 engine unsure.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
The angle is diferent, as well as flap legnths. Check with Hess motors in Germany they buy these too. I just have all my rears in sets with the sides and front. If I break one out I have 3 other seals I don't have places for laying around. They weigh 5lbs so shipping adds up.
You can try the bus seal.
lennyhope
Thanks, I appreciate that.... ;-)
lennyhope
Can one be fitted with the engine in place?
euro911
Yes.

Jack up the engine, disconnect CVs, clutch cable, speedo cable and ground strap, then drop the trans.

Remove clutch pack, flywheel and old seal.

Reinstall in reverse order ...

Be sure to replace the graphite O-ring in the flywheel and a new lock-plate (washer) when reinstalling.
JamesM
I had an engine rebuilt by a VW shop years ago that used the VW seals in my car as they couldnt find the proper 914 ones back then. Not a perfect fit and had to be modified to work, but they work. Have not had to pull the engine in the last 12 years, but when i do I will replace them with the proper ones now that they are easy to come by.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.