Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
I'm having an issue with the turn signals...They don't work. The emergency flashers work fine. The parking brake light works fine as well. I mention that because my understanding is it uses the same flasher relay. I took the turn signal switch out of the column and tested it on the bench and it shows proper continuity for left and right. No shorts, No blown fuses. At this point I'm stumped. confused24.gif Any thoughts on where to go from here? This is a '74 completely stock wiring nothing has be molested.

TIA
Spoke
Since the lights flash with the 4-way flasher, the wiring to/from the lights is ok.

The issue is more towards the steering wheel turn signal lever. Notice that the turnsignal switch is in parallel with the 4-way flasher contacts.

Here's the wiring diagram for your car wrt the turn signals.

I assume when you say the parking brake blinker works that the 4-way flasher is off. This would mean that Fuse 9 is ok.
904svo
Do you mean they come on and don't flash? If thats your problem you have the wrong bulbs installed or one of the front side marker bulbs are burn out. If you are using a stock flasher thats the way it was design to let you know a bulb was burn out.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 26 2013, 02:50 PM) *

Do you mean they come on and don't flash? If thats your problem you have the wrong bulbs installed or one of the front side marker bulbs are burn out. If you are using a stock flasher thats the way it was design to let you know a bulb was burn out.

But all 4 flash when the emergency flasher switch is pulled?? Also, the parking lights come on when the key is off. If I turn the left blinker on with the key off, the left parking lights come on; and the same with when I put the right turn signal on. However I will check the bulbs. Thanks
904svo
Most people forget that there is 2 bulbs per side for a total of 8 bulbs. Front side fender light and parking light ( 2 bulbs) and the same for the rear.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 27 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Most people forget that there is 2 bulbs per side for a total of 8 bulbs. Front side fender light and parking light ( 2 bulbs) and the same for the rear.

My front turn buckets only have a place for one bulb a 1157 confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
904svo
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jan 27 2013, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 27 2013, 03:37 PM) *

My front turn buckets only have a place for one bulb a 1157 confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

The other one is on the side of the fender.
Dave_Darling
The bulb in the front bucket has two filaments in it. One comes on with the parking light, and is tied to the side-marker light (the "wart" on the front fender). The other is the turn signal. If you use a single-filament bulb in this socket, weird stuff will happen.

The switch is one of the primary suspects in this case. The hazard lights and the "engine off side marking lights" feature use different parts of the turn signal switch than the turn signals proper do. The wiring would also be a suspect.

--DD
LotusJoe
Turned out to be a bad turn signal switch. Thanks to Spoke for the diagram on the wiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.