Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Alloy Wheel Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I cleaned up 26 factory lugs for plating. What I found was that 2 of the 26 where chrome plated. The rest were clear zinc. Each of the bolts has the VW logo stamped on the bottom so I know they are factory not aftermarket. Were some of the early 73 bolts plated? I think I remember seeing some early on, then everything went to zinc. Has anyone else seen this?

Drums66
.....Oh the wonder of Zinc idea.gif (have seen it on other parts, as well)
thumb3d.gif
Tom_T
Mark -

AFAIK all of the 70-76 MY OE alloy lugs were all zinc - but more of a semi-shiny finish, than some zinc plating that is almost chrome-like. They did sell black plastic lug caps back in the 74-76 MYs for some factory wheel set-ups IIRC.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Porsche may have started to substitute the black oxide finished ones later - after 914 production ended - when they started using the black lugs on the 911/930 black 5-lug Fuchs, & selling those as a superceded part/part no.

There are two nailed topics at O&H with good pix for reference on this - one being the "Wheels & Tires" topic -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74857

...& the other being The few, the rare...." one which featured Steve G's/smg's all original Sahara Biege `73 914-2.0 in the pic below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101921

Click to view attachment
^-- The semi-shiny finish blends better with the correct OE "frosted" semi-shiny background finish on the wheels. --^

Hope this helps!
popcorn[1].gif
rgolia
where are you going to have them plated. I need to have mine done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.