Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some Steel Sheet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Like the title says I need some 16ga steel for some body repairs and I don't know where or what to buy. Do I buy a sheet of hot rolled galv or plain steel. I'd like something that will hold up to the weather. Also, where to buy. Patton's sells 4 x 8 sheets but that's a little more than I need. TIA. kent
wndsnd
I bought mine from a local sheet metal guy. He is a provider to HVAC Service guys. I used 18Ga and 16ga scraps they had around the yard. I would say, "I could use a 2 X 2 and they would go out and see what they had. This way it was 1/4 the price of haveing full sheets cut.

Also, don't worry about surface rust, you need to clean all with a die grinder or something before welding and it all will be nice and shiny then. Or, clean and spray with a good weldable primer and you are good to go or store till you need.

John
SLITS
K&H Metals on Main St in Riverside. They have a scrap remanent pile of sheet metal or did when I bought 18 ga to repair /6 HEs.
strawman
Don't weld galvanized steel unless you use a fresh air supply! Burning galvanizing compounds are highly toxic. You'll need to treat the welds anyway, so just use hot-rolled sheet metal. I use Metal-Prep first, then two-part epoxy primer.
76-914
Thx, just the answers I needed. I've heard of welders with galv poisoning and drinking milk. huh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 27 2013, 10:23 AM) *

Thx, just the answers I needed. I've heard of welders with galv poisoning and drinking milk. huh.gif

Drinking milk causes galv poisoning? It's a good thing I don't eat any dairy products. happy11.gif
Spoke
My steel supply here in Allentown is Hill Metal on, yep, you guessed it, on Hill Street.

Great little steel shop with lots of stock. I've bought 14, 16, 18, and 20 ga steel sheets from him. They usually have many bits and pieces laying around.

He has several car guys that call on him for steel. He always asks me about my 914 when I go there.
gothspeed
'Industrial Metal Supply' in Irvine, Near John Wayne Airport. They have everything you need, even small pieces. All for very good prices.
edwin
Hot rolled vs cold rolled?
I thought cold was the go for strength
Edwin
RON S.

We live in the age of the internet now.
almost anything is available and can be shipped to your door.

www.onlinemetals.com

no minumims, and any size shape and grade of material available... biggrin.gif

There are all kinds of online metal vendors now. The above is just one source...
76-914
agree.gif Yep, found Bobco Metals online and ordered tonite. $15 shpg is cheaper than gas. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.