Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 caliper rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vitis

We are switching from SCCA F production, where we used M calipers, to H production so we have to go back to 914-4 calipers. Going to rebuild them and curious if I can remove the parking brake from the rears? Recommendations?

Milt McPherson
bulitt
I Recommend you PM Eric Shea. He's the man concerning brakes and Unicorns.
Eric_Shea
Had this discussion a few years back with a customer.

I don't see why you couldn't remove the inner adjuster mechanism from the pistons and put them back in. you would have to leave the adjusters locked in the bores.

Not sure what the advantage would be though. confused24.gif

You could get some fancy new 914-6 calipers (those are 914 calipers... Technically) and have the weight advantage and retain the same size pad and piston of the ones you're taking off (and cut your weight by 10lbs out back).

http://www.pmbperformance.com/calipers.html
ChrisFoley
I run modified stock rears on my FP car.
The internal mechanisms were removed long ago.
All you need to retain is the o-ring seals that go on the adjuster screws, but the threaded portion can be cut off.
vitis
Thanks Eric. Maybe I could say I want to reduce unsprung weight but I could probably figure a better excuse. Truthfully with our racing luck I was hoping the less parts would be less to go wrong. The Ms ( you rebuilt our fronts and sold us the rears) worked great for us in F production but in H production we have to go back to the unvented rotors and are supposed to use "stock" calipers so I figure we will go back to the 914-4 calipers since they require a 1.8 liter engine. I doubt we will be going Nationals but figure we will try to be within the regs.

Chris,
I think maybe I'll take a look at your recommendations when I take the rears apart. Thanks for the help. BTW, I need another stainless steel fuel line with AN male fittings but would like the engine compartment end to be turned towards the driver's side. We need a return to our fuel cell since we will be going EFI.

Milt
ChrisFoley
Removing all the guts is actually pretty easy once you split the halves apart.
New o-rings are available.
The cap covering the parking brake pivot is just a thin disc, like a freeze plug.

The brakes work just fine with that stuff out of the way.

The custom fuel line is no problem. Email me.
vitis
Thanks Chris. I'll email you for the fuel line.

Milt
stugray
I thought that I read that you can put front calipers on the rear if you dont want/need the E-brake.

Was I imagining that?

Stu
Eric_Shea
No... It's just a very bad idea because you have a car that is rear biased heavy now. Ready to swap ends "when" they lock. It's the early fronts that have the proper offset.

Better bet for those considering that move; get 911 rear calipers and remove the spacers and use the 914 fasteners to put it back together. They are made from the same casting but they have a more manageable 38mm piston in them. Same pad size, just a better bias match.

That said, this is what Milt had, he's now changing classes and going back to a smaller 914 rear caliper again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.