Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trouble removing fan housing on 2.0 first rebuild attempt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
Hi--
I searched around to see if I could find any info on this and cannot---perhaps because maybe its not even called a fan housing? At any rate I have purchased a straight low rust 1971 914 with a spare 2.0 and I intend to have a wack at rebuilding the engine myself. I have all the fi off, engine tin, the alternator, distributer etc BUT I cant seem to get the cover or case for the fan (fan housing?) off. Ive taken off all the slot screws that I can find, and the alternator and I can lightly pull it apart in areas but its still attached. I ordered the rebuild book but its not here yet----and trick to removing the flippin fan housing? thanks!!! smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jan 27 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Hi--
I searched around to see if I could find any info on this and cannot---perhaps because maybe its not even called a fan housing? At any rate I have purchased a straight low rust 1971 914 with a spare 2.0 and I intend to have a wack at rebuilding the engine myself. I have all the fi off, engine tin, the alternator, distributer etc BUT I cant seem to get the cover or case for the fan (fan housing?) off. Ive taken off all the slot screws that I can find, and the alternator and I can lightly pull it apart in areas but its still attached. I ordered the rebuild book but its not here yet----and trick to removing the flippin fan housing? thanks!!! smile.gif

Remove the fan. Remove the 4 8mm nuts and washers behind it. Make sure the thermostat wire is disconnected from the connection on the flapper shaft. Pull the shroud off. Done. Have an adult beverage and rest on your laurels while patting yourself on the back.

The Cap'n
peteyd

Ive taken off all the slot screws that I can find, and the alternator and I can lightly pull it apart in areas but its still attached.

There are two dowels between the two halves keeping them together. The dowels run horizontally through the center of the fan (if that makes sense). Just work your way around the perimeter with a screw driver. Give'r a few taps with the rubber mallet too. I just did this a couple days ago.

Pete
flash914
You don't need to split it to remove it, the bolt that hold it are behind the fan, so remove it first. If you are going to split it don't forget the two bolts for the bracket for the alternator on the left end of the housing. Gordon
euro911
It would be advantageous to have a digital camera handy and post pix of problem areas you will undoubtedly encounter in the future.

Sometimes pix are worth a thousand words shades.gif

welcome.png
adiokyro
Hi thanks for the help you guys--I thought fan may be a key BUT I removed the center bolt and the four bolts around it, but it still won't budge...stuck?

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 27 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Hi--

Remove the fan. Remove the 4 8mm nuts and washers behind it. Make sure the thermostat wire is disconnected from the connection on the flapper shaft. Pull the shroud off. Done. Have an adult beverage and rest on your laurels while patting yourself on the back.

The Cap'n

euro911
As far as I remember, there are only the 4 studs behind the fan and a bolt through the oil cooler bracket (passenger side) holding the fan housing on (shown in red) confused24.gif

Try tapping it with a rubber mallet ...

Click to view attachment
adiokyro
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 27 2013, 11:46 PM) *

As far as I remember, there are only the 4 studs behind the fan and a bolt through the oil cooler bracket (passenger side) holding the fan housing on (shown in red) confused24.gif

Try tapping it with a rubber mallet ...

Click to view attachment

Oh I see, I have all the fan bolts loosened but fan still stuck, pry it out?
Kirmizi
Remove the fan bolts and as was suggested, try lightly tapping with a rubber mallet on opposing sides to break it free.
Prying could potentially damage the fins. smile.gif
adiokyro
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jan 28 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Remove the fan bolts and as was suggested, try lightly tapping with a rubber mallet on opposing sides to break it free.
Prying could potentially damage the fins. smile.gif

oh ok ok duh I get it! ( : my friend to me "dude if you cant even get the fan housing off how are you going to rebuild it?" LOL

It's happening....Ill get some pics going of the build, I have the 77 911 front end going in, need some rear 5 lug hubs, need fuchs 16x6, have side shifetr trans, need the full linkage and late model engine mount bar... sheeplove.gif
Kirmizi
Here's a great thread for reference purposes:
http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page10.html
adiokyro
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jan 28 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Here's a great thread for reference purposes:
http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page10.html

thanks! yes Ive been checking that one out!
Dave_Darling
I would leave the center bolt in, just remove the three holding the fan onto the fan hub. Don't remove the four bolts around the perimeter of the fan.

Once the three bolts near the middle are out (they may be "triple square" bolts that you need the CV Joint tool to remove), just grab the front of the fan where the alternator belt runs, and wiggle it. There is a dowel pin between the fan hub and the fan, and that can help the fan to stick on the hub. Wiggling it for a while will help break that bond and it will come off.

Do you have a Haynes manual? If not, get one. It's usually less than $20, and has about 85% of the actual pictures and words from the factory book. It's not a great manual frankly, but it's about as good as we have. Tom Wilson's book on aircooled VW engines is also worth having if you're going to tear the engine down yourself.

Here's a link to a Pelican page with an exploded diagram from the factory manuals (also replicated in Haynes) :
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...oling_large.htm

In that pic, the fan is #11, and the pulley part of the fan is #12; they are held together by four bolts. The pulley part makes a good handle, so don't remove those bolts if you haven't already. The three bolts that hold the fan onto the hub are #6 (two are not shown). The hub itself and the central bolt holding it onto the crankshaft are not shown in this picture either, but it gives you a reasonable idea what the parts look like.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.