Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove black 3M glue - front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
The previous leaky front trunk seal was glued in with a generous amount of black 3M weather strip which came in a squeeze tube. After 3 hours of getting way too high on Goof-Off and getting about 1/4 of it off, I am turning to the brain trust for an easier method that does not involve repainting the channel.

Thought about using a heat gun, but don't want to blister the paint. Ideas?
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
rudedude
3M adhesive remover
wingnut86
lol-2.gif

av-943.gif

blink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(rudedude @ Jan 27 2013, 07:17 PM) *

3M adhesive remover

agree.gif I keep a can on the shelf.

Just for Mr.Wingnut slap.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-General-Purpose...dee&vxp=mtr
Spoke
Naphtha also works on glue products.
jimtab
I was gonna say "Low yield Nuke"....but 3M remover is the shit!
GS Guy
Mineral spirits. Work it slow, won't do anything to the paint. Once the WS adhesive starts to soften up it comes off like magic. Never try this while the WS adhesive is setting up (like cleaning off the extra that squeezed out behing the weatherstrip) - instant paint remover! Just let it dry a couple of days and then remove the extra. I use the stuff whenever I need to remove any kind of adhesive off a painted surface.
advtracing
Did the old glue on a 76 911 firewall , used crc sticker strip which is a orange citrus base . Not toxic and makes 40 uears old glue drop off
Randal
QUOTE(rudedude @ Jan 27 2013, 07:17 PM) *

3M adhesive remover

+1 That stuff works so good and does nothing to the paint. Did the underside of my son's 944 hood and the paint, where the glue was previously holding up the rubber pad, was perfect. Made the rest of the car look bad.
914Eric

I tried 3M adhesive remover on the engine compartment where the old, original sound deadening pad was glued down.

It didn't work worth a darn.
type2man
QUOTE(914Eric @ Jan 30 2013, 04:32 PM) *

I tried 3M adhesive remover on the engine compartment where the old, original sound deadening pad was glued down.

I use a rubber valve stem with the threaded part chucked on a cordless drill. Amazingly enough, it works wonders.
914Eric
QUOTE(type2man @ Jan 30 2013, 03:56 PM) *

I use a rubber valve stem with the threaded part chucked on a cordless drill. Amazingly enough, it works wonders.

Wow...I'll give it a try, since I still haven't found a way to get it off.

beerchug.gif
McMark
QUOTE(type2man @ Jan 30 2013, 03:56 PM) *

Body shop supply houses carry these 'sticker/decal removal tools'. Never tried, one, but it sounds like the same idea.
RickS
Was at the specialty auto body/paint supply store and quizzed them about the 3M adhesive remover products. Their thought was that any 3M product which won't damage the paint is essentially like Goof-off and has about the same strength.

Sooooooooooooooooo, what I am doing is soaking the adhesive with Goof-off and letting it sit for a couple of hours. Then using a screw driver which I rounded off the corners and blunted the blade to slowly scrape off the gunk without damaging the paint. It's slow but the vapors are gone by the time I start scraping.

One thing I found in the process was a surprising amount of surface rust in the channel between the headlights. Dam those low points!! After getting the worst of it out, I am treating the remained with Rust Mort and then painting.
tod914
http://www.skygeek.com/051135-08984.html The old 3M adhesive remover is much better than the newer. Illegal in alot of states. Would definetly wear a resporator if using it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.