Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The MicroBus is Coming Back!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
They have been teasing us with that for years, I hope they are serious this time!
ottox914
I'm still waiting for the BlueSport. Might as well wait for this as well.
MDG
I dunno . . .

The article in TC's link was written in December 2010 according to the by-line. Looks like two year old news that never panned out to me.
MrHyde
I saw the concept at the Toronto auto show a year or two ago. It sure would be cool if they do it right.
carr914
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2013, 09:43 AM) *

I dunno . . .

The article in TC's link was written in December 2010 according to the by-line. Looks like two year old news that never panned out to me.

Fuch! headbang.gif I didn't see the Headline Date

When the Cheeseballs at VW Realize they would sell a Gillizion Micros instead of a few Chrysler T&C/ Routon?
Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 28 2013, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2013, 09:43 AM) *

I dunno . . .

Fuch! headbang.gif I didn't see the Headline Date

When the Cheeseballs at VW Realize they would sell a Gillizion Micros instead of a few Chrysler T&C/ Routon?

agree.gif ...they have had some nice VW vans & Westies in Euro-land/ROW for years, which were better designs than a rebadged Chrysler T&C, or their propsed new SUV from the recent Detroit Show that looks like it may be a rebadged Jeep Grand Cherokee.

This was their "California" Westy type camper based on their Euro/ROW Van...

Click to view attachment
^ ... a very nice camper-van with a slick interior & hard-high-top versions too...worth googling for a look-see!

IMHO they also need to lose the rectangular headlights & use the roundy ovals on the new Bug with more flowing "vee" lines at the color break to make it look good.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

A more Retro look aside - it would flow better & look more sleek with arching curves off the front & around rounded/oval headlight/TS units, but the horizontal taillight/brake/back-up sets are good & tend to lower the look of the back-end IMHO.

While I like the retro instrument panel on this concept - what the heck is that torpedo suck into the lower dash!!?? It looks like it rammed an oncoming torpedo!

A nice Westfalia retro redux would be nice too...

Click to view attachment

Member Hans L. on here with the orange street & white/black/green racing 914-6s was involved in the original design of this concept, so maybe he knows if & when it may see showroom floors? confused24.gif

shades.gif
Crank up the Beach Boyz & get this sucker built & on sale ..... with a few design tweaks!

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
montoya 73 2.0
I remember the previous thread on this. We all had a spirited conversation on the design part as a few of us are / were designers and several of us didn't want to change the old designing (round tailights, round headlights, large VW emblem, etc., etc.) of the "Microbus" if that was what they were going to use as the model name. Changing a well known "iconic" design just for "design sake" is not always a good idea. The concept design has grown on me and in all fairness it is a great design but as Ford, Chevy and Chrysler have seen in the last several years, doing a retro car with the original designs but with a updated tweak here and there can bring in the masses. But there again it is my opinion and the Engineers at VW will do what they will.
JamesM
I really wish VW would make a flat 4 again, and stuff it in the rear. While I like the fact they are looking to go retro, I would still take a Vanagon with a Suby swap over this just based on usefullness.

aircooledtechguy
Maybe I'm just the only one here, but. . .

That new "microbus" design that's been kicking around for 4 years or so SUCKS!!! barf.gif I would rather get a vasectomy or a root-canal w/o pain killers than drive one of those ugly POS. huh.gif

Other than the 2 tone paint and similar colors, that abomination has absolutely NO resemblance whatsoever to the classic microbus. At least when the new beetle came out you knew exactly what car it was trying to be a modern version of. The new beetle while not my cup-o-tea, started the trend of updated old models like the Mustang, Challenger, Mini, Camero, etc, etc. It was a well done modern take on a well known icon and in that regard, they did the beetle justice.

I've made a career out of driving and repairing some of the oddest vehicles made. I've owned virtually every type of aircooled VW made, but that would be the Aztec or Juke of the VW world.

But hey, who am I?? Just a consumer. . .

popcorn[1].gif
montoya 73 2.0
I wouldn't buy one of those either Nate, As it would probably start in the 30k and end in 45k range. IMO, To much for something that looks like a "Minivan" and nothing like a "Microbus". I would pay for a TDI microbus that looks like a Microbus! If I wanted a minivan I would by a Chrysler/Dodge.
KELTY360
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 28 2013, 04:22 PM) *

I really wish VW would make a flat 4 again, and stuff it in the rear. While I like the fact they are looking to go retro, I would still take a Vanagon with a Suby swap over this just based on usefullness.

agree.gif That's a great place to work from for some retro styling. Some tweaks to the greenhouse and body details would be all that's necessary to capture an iconic shape and functionality. But that's really what VW should have done in 1990.....sigh.
Tom_T
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 28 2013, 03:22 PM) *

Flat 4 WBX with an up grade to a WBX 6 that can actually tow something & scoot along in town & run long highway distances at 70-75+ speeds would be even nicer! biggrin.gif

If you extended the rear step-up/box forward under the middle seat, you might even be able to make it a Midi-Mini..... idea.gif
VaccaRabite
Those prototypes are BUTT UGLY!

Zach
carr914
You do realize that people say the same thing about 914s, right? poke.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:00 AM) *

You do realize that people say the same thing about 914s, right? poke.gif

Yeah, but EVERYONE knows that's bs.gif lol-2.gif
damesandhotrods
I’m just not warming up to it. It just looks like a Euro Van with more dash space. And the Euro Van didn’t sell that great in this country. The only good news would be they probably wouldn’t be built in Mexico, and the bad news is they probably won’t be coming from The Fatherland.
struckn
I like it but I think I'd buy this for under $30K if I could aford it.

IPB Image

shades.gif
poorsche914
For around $10k plus the donor car (4 door mk4 Jetta), Smyth Performance is going to offer a mid-engined early '60s style single cab Kombi kit.

Something like this...

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
montoya 73 2.0
This is what I want. I literally have everything but the shell, also have a extra 2.0 liter type IV motor to put in it.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.