Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring short
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
So, I've been finalizing wiring on my recently acquired 914. I had all the wiring except the license plate lights hooked up. I got my license plates last week and was checking the lighting last night. I could smell something and I saw a whisp of smoke coming from the three wires that go to the engine compartment light. I immediately pulled the battery positive cable off. I could feel the heat on the cable shield going to the engine compartment light. I could feel some minor heat going back through the bundle of wiring to the rear tail lights and ultimately to the license plate lights. Is there a particular place in this that others have experience this wiring short? I guess I need to remove the protective sheathing from the bundle to make sure wires didn't get melted together along the heat path. I was disappointed to see that the fuse feeding those wires did not blow, It just started melting the plastic fuse body? It was an 8 Amp fuse and I'll have to look at my printout to see what position it was in. Approximately a middle fuse in the fuse block.
Any ideas?
thanks,
James
JStroud
Check where the wires go through the body, might have a wire with damaged insulation grounding on the body.
Good luck, electrical troubleshooting can be challenging.

Jeff
underdog
I had this happen when I reversed the + and - to the interior light. I had to open the harness and replace a burned section of the ground wire. two of the other wires were damaged also but repairable. Good luck.
76-914
That's a common area for shorts. Check the small loom that feeds the backup lights. It's exposed and suffers a lot of abuse.
JeffBowlsby
Did you get the license plate lights hooked up correctly? If you reversed them its a direct short to ground.
Dave_Darling
Yup, it's easy to get the wires to the LP lights switched. It's not obvious that one of the terminals gets grounded, but it does. Through one of the mounting screws, to the bumper pad frame, to the bumper, to the chassis.

--DD
chasrolex69
Same thing here, just last night I replaced my 74 rear lic. lights, both arched-sparked when i went to screw in. so I just have the wrong female ends on the wrong male terminal?
Kirmizi
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 28 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Yup, it's easy to get the wires to the LP lights switched. It's not obvious that one of the terminals gets grounded, but it does. Through one of the mounting screws, to the bumper pad frame, to the bumper, to the chassis.

--DD

agree.gif
Found this out when we back-dated my rear bumper and switched on the lights to test.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jan 28 2013, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 28 2013, 04:36 PM) *

--DD

agree.gif
Found this out when we back-dated my rear bumper and switched on the lights to test.

You should also buy the porcelain fuses instead of the plastic type. They don't melt.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 28 2013, 09:08 AM) *

Did you get the license plate lights hooked up correctly? If you reversed them its a direct short to ground.

Yep! That's exactly what happened. Silly me to think that the license plate lights were isolated from ground! It didn't damage any other wires in the harness that I could determine and license plate light now works. Well, one of them. the other one is burned out.

I'm having problems determining why the fuel tank sending unit won't work.
j
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.