Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - 914 2.0 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
lsintampa
New member here. Almost bought a 914 as my "first car", back in the day. Had to be in the middle 70's. My dad didn't like the car as he couldn't work on it (old school Chevy mechanic). Ended up with a Triumph GT6 instead.

Now over 40 years later, I'm looking for a 2.0 914 project. I've done a few project cars, most recently a 74 TR6, so I'm at least familar with the process.

I don't know much about the 914 but would like something that has a solid frame and body panels. Mechanics (motor / trans, etc.) are secondary. Running would be better than not running - but not necessary.

I would prefer something local (or at least close) to the Tampa Bay (Florida) area.

NO RUSH - I'm actually not quite ready to take another project right now, but if the right opportunity come up, I could make room.

Thanks for any leads.

Len
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Jan 28 2013, 03:06 PM) *

New member here. Almost bought a 914 as my "first car", back in the day. Had to be in the middle 70's. My dad didn't like the car as he couldn't work on it (old school Chevy mechanic). Ended up with a Triumph GT6 instead.

Now over 40 years later, I'm looking for a 2.0 914 project. I've done a few project cars, most recently a 74 TR6, so I'm at least familar with the process.

I don't know much about the 914 but would like something that has a solid frame and body panels. Mechanics (motor / trans, etc.) are secondary. Running would be better than not running - but not necessary.

I would prefer something local (or at least close) to the Tampa Bay (Florida) area.

NO RUSH - I'm actually not quite ready to take another project right now, but if the right opportunity come up, I could make room.

Thanks for any leads.

Len Len, how about mine???? Bob

lsintampa
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Jan 29 2013, 07:20 AM) *

OK, being the new guy on the forum, I'll bite. WTF.gif

Looks like a fine car, tell me about it and why you think it is a "project".
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Jan 29 2013, 10:55 AM) *

Hmmmm, Ok I shall try! 1/ car needs to be driven. 2/ Better interior. 3/ Does not 'Need' much but lots of do dads that at the moment I cant thing of[57 yo] How BIG a project are you looking for? This is a very solid 2L car, carbs, koni shocks, need top seal, very fast! Solid rolling project to do with, as you roll........... Bob Arnett 812-232-4777
Razorbobsr

As you can see, I have a few cars in the shop, currently 3 Triumph GT-6s, My TR-6, A TR-8, anf my latest 59 TR-3 1 owner car.
Razorbobsr

Born at McDill AFB 1955, lived is Tampa for many yrs. Lowery Park? Ralston Beach?
boxstr
1976 914 2.0 project car. This is an original black car, paint code L041. This car sat in a dry garage covered for 20 years. Current owner purchased to build a 6 conversion. A 1977 Porsche 911 got in the way. So the 914 sits on the side lines unloved.
It was completley disassembled, with the exception of the dash and the front and rear glass.
The motor and trans are together and out. The suspension has been removed and meadia blasted, ready for powdercoating. The rear trailing arms have been boxed. There is an Engman interior reinforcment kit included .New Elephant control arms and bushings, along with all five lug convesrion components.
All of the items removed from the car have been properlly and carefully wrapped and boxed and labeled. 2.0 Motor and trans are also with the car.Original FI in place.
This is a a time capsule car. It can be put back together as a 4 or taken to a 6, Subie or V8 level. Priced at $3960.
Text or call Craig at 503-799-5794 for more details.
The pics that you see are ideas of what it could look like
Razorbobsr
[quote name='boxstr' date='Jan 30 2013, 09:39 AM' post='1811988']
1976 914 2.0 project car. This is an original black car, paint code L041. This car sat in a dry garage covered for 20 years. Current owner purchased to build a 6 conversion. A 1977 Porsche 911 got in the way. So the 914 sits on the side lines unloved.
It was completley disassembled, with the exception of the dash and the front and rear glass.
The motor and trans are together and out. The suspension has been removed and meadia blasted, ready for powdercoating. The rear trailing arms have been boxed. There is an Engman interior reinforcment kit included .New Elephant control arms and bushings, along with all five lug convesrion components.
All of the items removed from the car have been properlly and carefully wrapped and boxed and labeled. 2.0 Motor and trans are also with the car.Original FI in place.
This is a a time capsule car. It can be put back together as a 4 or taken to a 6, Subie or V8 level. Priced at $3960.
[/quote The blue car above is faster! LOL Bob

Chris H.
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 30 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Craig,

What is the VIN number on that car? Close to the end of the run or no? The suspension stuff is worth 2/3 the price! Too far away for me but a good deal.

boxstr
Vin. 47629003492
Craig at CAMP
racerbvd
I have a 1.8 project up in Jax, and there will be some other cars for sale at my Swap=Meet Feb 9th.
lsintampa
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Feb 1 2013, 07:41 PM) *

I have a 1.8 project up in Jax, and there will be some other cars for sale at my Swap=Meet Feb 9th.

Can you post some information about this event? I'm not having much luck finding out about it.
racerbvd
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Feb 2 2013, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Feb 1 2013, 07:41 PM) *

Can you post some information about this event? I'm not having much luck finding out about it.

Sure thing, I have had some calls from some Tampa 356 guys that are planning on making the trip.

BVD is Having a Swap-Meet

Saturday, February 9, 2013
8:00am
IPB Image
https://www.facebook.com/events/38364418838...lan_user_joined

The plan is to hold it between the Rolex 24 & the 12 Hours of Sebring.
The location is the parking lot of the Astoria Hotel, located on US 17 in Orange Park, FL, right off of I-295
There will be a spot to sell cars as well as parts, all German Marques Welcome...

Time to clean out the garage, gather some stuff & hopefully take a bunch of mine home with you;)
IPB Image

This is the parking lot, the area that backs up to Park ave is where the Cars that are for sale will be parked:D
IPB Image
IPB Image
carr914
I'm in Tampa, don't know of any Cars available right now, but if I find one I will let you know. If you find one, I'll be glad to go with you to check it out

T.C.
lsintampa
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 3 2013, 08:04 PM) *

I'm in Tampa, don't know of any Cars available right now, but if I find one I will let you know. If you find one, I'll be glad to go with you to check it out

T.C.

Hey T.C. have you seen the red 914 on CL. I was 10 minutes from going to see the car when the owner called me to say he changed his mind about selling it. Two days later he renewed the ad. Called him I got the impression he's looking for someone that is just lusting over buying "his" 914.

I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number.
lsintampa
Looked at my first prospect yesterday.

76 2.0, in Florida - near Orlando area

Ask was 6.500. The owner knows little about cars - let alone this car. Seriously he is a really nice guy, but when it comes to cars - well all I can say is he really isn't a car guy.

Car runs, I drove it. It ground every gear, and will not hold 4th at all. Body panels were fair - some rust on the panels, but nothing that couldn't be repaired.

I jacked up the right front - little play in the front wheel - again not sloppy, but some.

I was going to jack up the left front - but a good look and I thought it better that I didn't. Was afraid I'd push the jack into the car - didn't want to go there.

Hell hole was rusty, but not through. Tray was still there, tray edges were shotty.

Interior was fair. Rust behind the right seat (near the corner of the b-pillar). I could pull it off it layers. I did not lift the carpet - as I knew I was taking a pass on it.

I'm not familar that much with the 914, but I have done several rebulds of other cars, so I know what to look for (for my skill set).

BTW - I saw on both the left and right underside floors what looked like some metal that was put over the existing floor pans held in place with sheet metal screws. The screws were not rusty, so my guess is that was PO covering up the rusted out floor pans - but I'm not sure.

My assessment - car needs transmission work for sure, along with some significant rust repairs. I did drive it, but since I was having such a hard time shifting it, I really didn't get around to being able to judge the motor. Started right up and ran - seemed a bit rough.

In terms of ask VS what you may be able to get this car for... IMHO, I think he just wants it gone and any offer at this point would not be ignored. At one point (before I made up my mind to pass totally) I through a low number out there and I think that was acceptable.

CL add: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3557770696.html

If by chance you have any interest and contact him, tell him Len told you about the car. Not that I'm getting anything for referrals, I just though he was a really nice guy and offered to help him.

I told him he should register here and post the car, but I got the impression he wasn't going to do that. I also offered to answer questions he may get from world members - should he post the car here.

Anyway just passing along some info of my hunting ventures.

shades.gif

Razorbobsr
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Feb 9 2013, 09:56 AM) *

Looked at my first prospect yesterday.

76 2.0, in Florida - near Orlando area

Ask was 6.500. The owner knows little about cars - let alone this car. Seriously he is a really nice guy, but when it comes to cars - well all I can say is he really isn't a car guy.

Car runs, I drove it. It ground every gear, and will not hold 4th at all. Body panels were fair - some rust on the panels, but nothing that couldn't be repaired.

I jacked up the right front - little play in the front wheel - again not sloppy, but some.

I was going to jack up the left front - but a good look and I thought it better that I didn't. Was afraid I'd push the jack into the car - didn't want to go there.

Hell hole was rusty, but not through. Tray was still there, tray edges were shotty.

Interior was fair. Rust behind the right seat (near the corner of the b-pillar). I could pull it off it layers. I did not lift the carpet - as I knew I was taking a pass on it.

I'm not familar that much with the 914, but I have done several rebulds of other cars, so I know what to look for (for my skill set).

BTW - I saw on both the left and right underside floors what looked like some metal that was put over the existing floor pans held in place with sheet metal screws. The screws were not rusty, so my guess is that was PO covering up the rusted out floor pans - but I'm not sure.

My assessment - car needs transmission work for sure, along with some significant rust repairs. I did drive it, but since I was having such a hard time shifting it, I really didn't get around to being able to judge the motor. Started right up and ran - seemed a bit rough.

In terms of ask VS what you may be able to get this car for... IMHO, I think he just wants it gone and any offer at this point would not be ignored. At one point (before I made up my mind to pass totally) I through a low number out there and I think that was acceptable.

CL add: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3557770696.html

If by chance you have any interest and contact him, tell him Len told you about the car. Not that I'm getting anything for referrals, I just though he was a really nice guy and offered to help him.

I told him he should register here and post the car, but I got the impression he wasn't going to do that. I also offered to answer questions he may get from world members - should he post the car here.

Anyway just passing along some info of my hunting ventures.

shades.gif
That makes my blue one look like a cream puff. LOL Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.