Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dry sump plumbing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
hedfurst
Question for those of you who have dry-sumped your 4-cylinder cars.
What is the tank volume everyone's using and what are you doing to keep it from draining into the crank-case when the motor isn't running?

Thanks
Fred
ChrisFoley
3 gallon capacity is perfect.
If the bottom of the tank is level with the bottom of the engine there will be no issues with the engine overfilling with oil at rest.
f the tank is far above the engine sump you will need a special check valve.
mrbubblehead
Mine holds close to 10qts with a filter change. I bought an electronic valve to keep the oil from draining back into the sump but never installed it. My sump sits on the engine shelf so its above the case. mine leaks "maybe" a qt a week. And I run synthetic 30wt. I think it all depends on the tolerances of the oil pump.
hedfurst
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 28 2013, 05:04 PM) *

If the bottom of the tank is level with the bottom of the engine there will be no issues with the engine overfilling with oil at rest.

Where is your tank? My plumbing recommendations are that the tank-outlet be 200mm above the pump-inlet. I was looking at a 8quart tank-planned on putting it under the rear deck.
hedfurst
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 28 2013, 06:34 PM) *

Mine holds close to 10qts with a filter change. I bought an electronic valve to keep the oil from draining back into the sump but never installed it. My sump sits on the engine shelf so its above the case. mine leaks "maybe" a qt a week. And I run synthetic 30wt. I think it all depends on the tolerances of the oil pump.

do you mind telling me where you got your talk?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jan 28 2013, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 28 2013, 05:04 PM) *

Where is your tank? My plumbing recommendations are that the tank-outlet be 200mm above the pump-inlet. I was looking at a 8quart tank-planned on putting it under the rear deck.

My race setup wouldn't be practical in a street car.
Tne oil tank is in the passenger footwell. I shaped the tank specifically for my F Production car.

I don't know why you would need the tank 8" above the pump, and putting it in the rear trunk would be much higher than that.

The tank capacity should be at least 1/3 larger than the volume of oil you want it to hold.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jan 28 2013, 07:06 PM) *

Fred, I custom made my tank. Racer Chris was instrumental with my dry sump system. I didnt follow the conventional plumbing routing. I feel I improved upon it. There are many ways to do the system. And that depends on what oil pump you use.

Have you decided on a pump yet?

My Tank
IPB Image
hedfurst
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 28 2013, 08:09 PM) *

Fred, I custom made my tank. Racer Chris was instrumental with my dry sump system. I didnt follow the conventional plumbing routing. I feel I improved upon it. There are many ways to do the system. And that depends on what oil pump you use.

My Tank
IPB Image

Awesome tank. That's a great use of space.
I have a T. Pieper pump. Sure would appreciate any advice you would care to give.
mrbubblehead
I have seen pictures of that pump. They look to be a very good pump. Where did you find it? can you post pictures of it?

What are your system plans? Is the engine built yet?
yeahmag
Holy crap that's a nice tank! Here is the mock up I have for my tank, thermostat, and breather.

Click to view attachment
hedfurst
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 29 2013, 08:07 AM) *

I have seen pictures of that pump. They look to be a very good pump. Where did you find it? can you post pictures of it?

What are your system plans? Is the engine built yet?

Not built yet. Just collecting rest of the parts now
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
The pump came from the man himself in Germany. It was pricey but then it is an impressive piece of work.
I am very interested in more details about the construction of your tank.
hedfurst
not too sure about these pictures.
Woody
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jan 29 2013, 05:30 PM) *

not too sure about these pictures.

popcorn[1].gif
mrbubblehead
I looked at the PT pump and autocraft pumps. Both of which are high quality pumps. I went with the cb pump. I did a few case modifications as well to improve oiling and block all the pressure relief stuff.

heres the spin chamber.
IPB Image

and it spins the oil down into the tank.

IPB Image

what you cant see in any of the pictures is the small upside down pyramid shape of the tank that exits oil thru the hole in the tin. the same hole the 914/6 uses.
hedfurst
Wow. How long long did it take to make? Could you expand on the pyramid? How thick is the aluminium? 2 return tubes?
I've never had a chance to really examine a 6.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jan 29 2013, 04:13 PM) *

Wow. How long long did it take to make? Could you expand on the pyramid? How thick is the aluminium? 2 return tubes?
I've never had a chance to really examine a 6.

uhh not long. a day or two. I say pyramid, but it just the way the tank tapers down to a point. like a funnel. then exits out the side of the taper. your car has the exit hole also....on the drivers side down in the hell hole there should be like a 1'' hole down there.

I was going to use a cylindrical tank like yeamag but i just couldnt make it fit there.

I cant remeber the thikness, .030? i know it was too thin for my tig skills. the next one i make im gonna make it from 0.100. i used T6 sheet.
mrbubblehead
yes two return tubes. one from the pump and one from my remote filter which also incorporates a pressure relief. i think it bleeds at 70 or 80 lbs. my case has no bypass or relief so it gettin the straight juice.
hedfurst
How is the case having no bypass/relief beneficial?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jan 29 2013, 09:50 PM) *

How is the case having no bypass/relief beneficial?

A pressure limiting valve of some kind is needed. You don't really ever want the oil pressure to exceed 80 psi.
Doug's is incorporated in his filter adapter.
I use an adjustable unit made by Parker (fluid controls), screwed into the side of the crankcase.
An external relief valve routes the excess oil back to the dry sump tank rather than back into the engine sump as the stock relief valve does.
hedfurst
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 28 2013, 08:09 PM) *

Have you decided on a pump yet?

My Tank
IPB Image

What are the other structures on top of your tank near the firewall?
bam914
If anyone needs an external adjustable oil pressure relief I have one from when I was building my car with a dry sump. It is NIB. It has -10 fittings. $50.00 takes it.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
I located some pics of my oil tank.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the filler neck with a vent hose on the cap, and a stock 914 dipstick to measure the oil level.
Click to view attachment

This is the pressure relief valve I'm using. -6 AN hose is plenty big for the bypass.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mrbubblehead
chris, i bet it gets awful hot in the summer with your sump in the cockpit. i see the springs for dzus buttons, do you block it with a panel?
ChrisFoley
SCCA requires the oil tank be isolated from the driver compartment, so there is a removable panel.
I've never noticed the heat from my oil tank but I suppose it contributes to cockpit temperature.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.