Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the ebay confusion thread going south
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
payment noted in my account for said item @ $54.95. i recieved a "new" offer via email. i don't like this. i was polite.

kevin
djm914-6
Sounds like a South East parts deal to me.

What did the "new" offer say?
Part Pricer
Dealer cost on that item is right around $135. It's going to cost him around another $5 for IMC to pack and ship. That would mean about a $85 loss out of his pocket.

I bet he doesn't ship and just takes the hit on his feedback.
rhodyguy
i'm really at a loss here. it's too early to hit the tums. new oem seal, seller had a fancy ad alright, and forgot to READ it for CONTENT. ad changed within minutes of me making reference of it. i wonder if it's someone here? if one screws up, and gets caught in the wires, you make it right and bank some love. i'm not ready to conceed anything at this point.

kevin
Aaron Cox
if i were him/her, id make it right so you wouldnt bash me on the forum in front of potential buyers. save face you know? smile.gif
Part Pricer
I'd bet he just got the email notification of the Buy-It-Now from your purchase and freaked. He realized his mistake and made the change before SLITS could buy them all for that price.
SLITS
I would have shared happy11.gif
GWN7
His mistake. He "should" do the right thing.

I was selling some stuff on ebay and relisted them. I accidently duplicated a listing and ended up with two buyers and only had 1 item. I emailed the second buyer (by time) and explained the problem. Gave him the offer to cancel his bid or I would sub a better item (more $$) at my cost. He took the better item, everyone was happy.

Hope it works out.
anthony

But why is the right thing taking an $85 loss on a part for a typo? If someone had bought 10 from his store, would an $850 loss be the right thing to do?
F4i
agree.gif why not meet him half way? Save you both some cash and everybody is happy. Try and see it from both sides. What if it were your typo and you bid a thousand dollars for it?
rhodyguy
well it's hard to KNOW what he would do if i bid $1000. i tend not to worry about separate universes. but i didn't, and $85 is a long way from $1000. let me know how it goes when you use the "buy it now" feature, in other words pay what they're asking- no auction, and they tell you to forget it because THEIR store ad, that they are responsible for, is incorrect. f41, they don't expect any $ penalty on their end.

kevin
F4i
Do whatever you want to do. I was just pointing out that there are two sides to this. I provided an example to see that, not a seperate universe. I agree they try to cover their ass and limit the $$ penilty on their end. Wouldn't you? All I was suggesting was a middle solution that causes you both to take a smaller hit. As was mentioned he may dump the whole thing and take the neg. feedback. If that happens you don't get a good deal and he has negative feedback, no one is happy. This is just opinion on the situation not personal. beerchug.gif
F4i
Just read the other thread on this. I can see why you would be pissed. He acted without trying to resolve anything he could have offered to work with you on this. HIS bad.
GWN7
When your selling on Ebay there is plenty of opportunity to check and double check your ad before it is placed. You can even change the listing if you discover a mistake in it afterwards.

The buy it now feature was used, which is a contract to sell and buy at a fixed price.

To me it would be a learn from it experance.

I'd feel sorry for the sellar if someone had posted the ad here and all of them were sold at that price.....
SLITS
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 12 2004, 01:39 PM)

But why is the right thing taking an $85 loss on a part for a typo? If someone had bought 10 from his store, would an $850 loss be the right thing to do?

In a contract, which this sale is, if you make the error you are still responsible. If he is careless enough to miss a $100 error, it to effin bad. Since there was only one sale and he immediately revised the ad, if I were he I would have taken the hit and went on my way. That's the way I think and that's what I do on eBay. I've taken a hell of a larger hit than that to make things right.......It's principle (and business).
spunone
agree.gif
anthony
If I was the seller I would have certainly been a lot more gracious. On the other hand, if I was the buyer and I knew the price was a typo, I'd ask the seller to sell me one at his cost. In my book that's a win win. I wouldn't feel right holding anyone to a price that was obviously a typo.

This guy though will just take Kevin's negative. He's got thousands of feedbacks and a single negative isn't going to hurt him one bit.
Demick
Kevin - just walk away and forget it. You won't get a seal out of him for $55 so save yourself the heartache. He made an honest mistake on the price. Do you really expect him to eat it just to give you a too-good-to-be-true deal? He's not Wal-Mart, he's just a regular guy trying to make a few bucks on e-bay by selling stuff at low prices with low overhead. The farthest you are going to get with this is to leave him negative feedback and he doesn't give a crap about that, and he will likely leave you negative feedback as well - and your one negative out of three transactions will look a whole lot worse than his one more negative out of 5000. That will just make you even more mad.

Like I said, save yourself the heartache and forget it.

Demick
SLITS
Last story.......At one time I was a Mfgr's Rep for a line of coffee makers - They cost $1500 each at the time - I submitted a quote for an future install of two (2 ) units, BUT I forgot to put "each" at the end of the price. It isn't brain surgery to figure out WHO paid for the second machine.

I now reach for my hanky to dry my eyes over the sorrow I feel for the seller who made a typo in his ad finger.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I buy cigars on Yahoo auctions. One day, the deal of the year came up and I jumped on it. I knew it was a mistake, but jumped on it anyway. The seller emailed me and admitted his mistake, and stood by the auction. I offered to pay a legitimate price for the cigars, as I know what they are worth. He refused my offer, and made the deal good. I am still a customer after 4 years, and I don't have to bid anymore. I order and he sends! rolleyes.gif
DNHunt
Legally the guy's on the hook. Can you collect on it? Probably not. It's not a big enough amount to pursue legally so, if he wants out he'll take a hit on feedback.

But, what's the real issue? The guy made a mistake. Cut the guy some slack and write it off as a good deed.

Dave
djm914-6
I brought this topic up at my Church's Men's study this morning. Many people say the seller should do the right thing and ship the product for $55. I originally thought the same way. With a little reading this morning it dawned om me that it was an honest mistake and many here are trying to punish and ridicule the guy for it. That's not right either. Two wrongs don't make a right, isn't that what they say.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters,6 whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. 4:9 And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.
SLITS
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:42 AM)
I brought this topic up at my Church's Men's study this morning. Many people say the seller should do the right thing and ship the product for $55. I originally thought the same way. With a little reading this morning it dawned om me that it was an honest mistake and many here are trying to punish and ridicule the guy for it. That's not right either. Two wrongs don't make a right, isn't that what they say.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters,6 whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. 4:9 And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

First, it is a business transaction. Ethics are involved, not morals. The ideal way for the seller to have come off was to agree to ship the item at the price stated because it was his error. He then could have asked for some leeway because he made the error. The buyer should have been given an option. I'm sure a mutually agreeable solution could have been worked out.

Since he only communicated that he was killing the deal because he would lose money and that he would sell it for his cost was not an appropriate solution. He is a weasel.

The best reason for selling at the stated price was given in the cigar trading post. A long term customer is worth taking it in the shorts once.

I will guarantee that the seller WILL proof his ads after this.

And no, I would not have taken advantage of the situation and bought them all. I am keenly aware of the "normal wholesale and retail" price. Even I am not that much of an asshole. I bought 300 OEM lower targa seals at an auction for $2.00 each - I sold them for $10 each, knowing full well the list was $89.00. In addition, when someone that I shipped said the seal was to hard and/or cracked (some were), I shipped a replacement at no cost. My reputation was more important than the effin money.

Ok, you can continue beating it to death now. It was an error he should have backed up and bit the bullet.
rhodyguy
you see my point ron. if it's unclear, i did use the BUY IT NOW FEATURE, at a posted, advertized, every day price(atleast for those few minutes). i want more money for all of the parts that i sold too cheaply. what's the good deed here dave? nomeorenginkyo. biggrin.gif

kevin
DNHunt
Ron is right about it being a case of ethics. But, moral businessmen make ethical business decisions. When I posted before, I neglected to mention what I thought the seller's obligation was. He should offer the sail at the agreed price. He won't and Kevin probably can't make him.

My comment about a good deed stems from the fact that one can only control one's own actions. This guy made a mistake and Kevin can take the position he will not profit from someone else's mistake. I see that as a good deed just like returning lost property is a good deed.

Things aren't always clear cut, and I haven't always been the perfect angel, so I offer this as unsolicited advice from someone that doesn't always do the right thing.

Dave
rhodyguy
i still love you dave laugh.gif

your pal, kevin
DNHunt
Damn Kevin that's awfully nice of you. With all the work I've been doing on my car I'm not sure if my wife still loves me. You might want to rethink that statement, cause I may come over for a hug. wub.gif

I got the "we never connect anymore lecture" last weekend, so I've been playing it pretty close this week. I can't seem to get her to go for connecting over a 4 pot. I told her it'll never be cleaner than it is right now. No go, she wants to connect out of the garage.

Dave
EdwardBlume
How about the theory of what you'd want to see happen if the roles were reversed. If you made the mistake and someone else was on your butt to come through... you'd feel stupid and ripped.

Its bad karma.

I like the concept of good communication and compromise.
rhodyguy
suppose someone scooped a car for a song. upon further investigation the car is found to be... unique, to put it mildly, and could have a very high value. should the buyer go back to the seller and "you know, i sort of got over on you. here's a big check.". you get to ask the purchaser of your car for more money rob. i mean, it really was too good of a deal. believe me, i have been ripped in the past and felt stupid. but i sucked it up, lived with it, and moved on.

kevin
SLITS
I like this thread and will provide a couple more examples:

1.) I sold a set of polished 5 lug Fuchs - shipped them - and was notified by the buyer that the lug pattern was not Porsche. I took him at his word, refunded the purchase price and freight and then paid the return freight.

2.) I sold a high performance VW transmission for a dune buggy. In transit, the tranny was broken. The buyer shipped it back at his expense, I had it completely rebuilt and then shipped it back to him.

The point of these stories - I felt I fullfilled my obligation as a seller to provide the item I had sold even though it cost me money. I know that if I have an item that either of these buyers want, they will not hesitate to purchase from me.
rhodyguy
a non-political thread about ethics, which is what this one is really about. ethics that is. you have the rightous kharma ron. you're coming back as a cow biggrin.gif . i'm not steamed over the seal fiasco. it just chips away at my faith in people a bit. spliffs for everyone!!! w00t.gif

kevin
Dr Evil
I have been selling some of red-beards stuff on ebay as of late and some have gone crazy high, others crazy low, but I stuck to them all. Hell, one part sold for $.99 and after fees I made $.30. Shipping took more out of me than $.30 freaking cents. If it were a private seller then I would have negotiated, but since it is a business and the hit would be less dire I would expect them to honor the contract. I see eye to eye with Ron on this.
I had a customer reacently that was not thrilled with some work that I had done for him. The reason being that I was not clear enough in my requirements for a dash core to be made into a 10. Long story short, I took my dash out, covered it, and will be sending it to him shortly. I may have lost my ass in the deal, but I can look at my self in the mirror and be proud for being a man and owning my mistake. As well, I have the best customers on the plannet! They are understanding, appreciative, and work well with me to help me satisfy their expectations.
redshift
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 14 2004, 11:39 AM)
you have the rightous kharma ron. you're coming back as a cow biggrin.gif

kevin

Nope! Can't be the same thing twice in a row!

M
SLITS
Damnit Miles, I expected you to say I would be reincarnated as the Village Idiot...............wait............uhhhhhhhh..........nevermind wink.gif
redshift
Again:

YOU CAN'T BE THE SAME THING TWICE IN A ROW!

Cows, and i-dots are not mutually exclusive.

smile.gif

M
iiibdsiil
You know that the guy would most likely pull the "this auction is a legal contract" crap if you would have over bid, i.e. put an extra 0 or something. And he would never let it down and bad mouth you, at least that is what most would do. So, you can pull that crap with him, or you can just give it up and make it right if you really need the part.

He being a business man should fess up to his mistakes, and should make it right for you, but, he might/probably won't do that.

I bought something from Radio Shack one time, they still had the sale price sticker up on it, even though it was a Wednesday, and the sale ended Sunday, the manager let me have it for the sale price, even though I told him it was okay, and I would pay normal price, since I needed it. But, because they made it right with me, I will be a customer of theirs when I need stuff, instead of going to the other guy for it.

This transaction might cost him $85, but, depending, it might make him $500, because he might make a new return customer. If he gets the negative feed back, It might stop one person from buying something, and thus cost him $85 still. Who knows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.