Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky clutch pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chandler1969
What is the best method of eliminating a squeaky clutch pedal? My car was caught in a downpour from which I learned I need to replace targa seals. From all of the moisture inside the car, my clutch pedal started to squeak when used. Will WD-40 work or is there a particular grease to use?

Thanks in advance
'73-914kid
Do you know if the pedal cluster has ever been rebuilt?
chandler1969
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 29 2013, 11:30 AM) *

Do you know if the pedal cluster has ever been rebuilt?

I really do not know. I hasnt in the 2+ years I have had the car
TheCabinetmaker
Since wd stands for "water displacement" it might help remove any water in the bushings. Will it help the squeak? probably not. How much water leaked in? Pull the carpet and floorboard. If the whole cluster looks dirty, greasy, and rusty, You might need a rebuild.
chandler1969
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 29 2013, 12:08 PM) *

Since wd stands for "water displacement" it might help remove any water in the bushings. Will it help the squeak? probably not. How much water leaked in? Pull the carpet and floorboard. If the whole cluster looks dirty, greasy, and rusty, You might need a rebuild.

It was alot of water. So much when I took the floor mats out they were dripping like a slow faucet. I'm planning, when I get some time, to get all of the floor tar out and reseal the pans. I guess that would be a good time to rebuild the cluster. What is degree of difficulty on rebuilding?
toolguy
If it was that wet, you can bet the inside of the tunnel is soaking. . and the water is in the seams. . the squeaking pedal is the least of your worries for now. . pull all the carpets and get it dried out. . under the pedal assembly will rust. . . Don't ignore it unless you're ready for bigger problems

the OE Pedal bushings are Nylon. . best to replace them with a bronze bushing kit . . about $25. . . leaking brake fluid usually causes the nylon bushing to swell and sieze, causing a sticky pedal. . . you can do it all in a Saturday. . .
TheCabinetmaker
I think there is a thread here somewhere. Maybe in the classics section.
chandler1969
Thanks guys. I found a thread by Eric Shea on rebuilding pedal clusters.

As soon as I got home the day it rained, I tried to get the car dried up as much as possible. I'll pull the pedal board this weekend and take a look at whats going under there. I'll try to remember to post a pic or two on what I find.

This never would of happened if my other car's alternator hadn't gone bad. I never wanted to take the 914 out in the rain.

Thanks for the responses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.