Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's finally at the bodyshop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
After waiting since last May I had to find another shop to do my car...I did that and now they have the car and are going to have paint & bodywork done in 4 weeks. So I need some paint info...

If I can't (havn't so far) find a front chrome bumper I will have to put painted ones on...what color black are the painted bumpers (74')?

What color black is the suspension?

I'm still debating on the color of the car...original L041 black or Signal Orange (like my 1st 914 I bought in 77') I picked up a cool 1/18 die cast of a 914/6 Saturday that is Signal Orange...it's been telling me "paint is orange" ever since I put is on the shelf.

Any opinons on the Signal Orange with the sail panels and roof painted the same color? (black pretty much looks the same)

JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 29 2013, 03:39 PM) *

After waiting since last May I had to find another shop to do my car...I did that and now they have the car and are going to have paint & bodywork done in 4 weeks. So I need some paint info...

If I can't (havn't so far) find a front chrome bumper I will have to put painted ones on...what color black are the painted bumpers (74')?

What color black is the suspension?

I'm still debating on the color of the car...original L041 black or Signal Orange (like my 1st 914 I bought in 77') I picked up a cool 1/18 die cast of a 914/6 Saturday that is Signal Orange...it's been telling me "paint is orange" ever since I put is on the shelf.

Any opinons on the Signal Orange with the sail panels and roof painted the same color? (black pretty much looks the same)

Signal Orange is the coolest color ever for a 914. The reason I did not get that color when I bought my 914 in 73 was because my friend bought one two months before me and it was Signal Orange. At the time, I thought it was kinda lame to get the same color as my friend but I always loved Signal Orange.
bulitt
Thread going over in the originality forum- Semi Gloss for the Suspension
Suspension paint thread
aharder
I'm a Signal Orange guy biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
I wanted Signal Orange or Tangerine but someone said factory black cars are special in some way.

Color change would have been hard since I didn't rotisserie the car.

Jgilliam914
My 2nd 914 was signal orange if I ever get another I would make sure it was that color. I love the contrast with the black top and sail panels. The stock look is sweet but I would upgrade to 5 lug wheels on anything 914
biosurfer1
I'm partial to Signal Orange...you'll rarely have to worry about pulling up next to another signal orange car:)
Type 47
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 29 2013, 12:59 PM) *

Suspension paint thread

Thanks Bob!

Bumpers anyone?
Type 47
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jan 29 2013, 03:24 PM) *

My 2nd 914 was signal orange if I ever get another I would make sure it was that color. I love the contrast with the black top and sail panels. The stock look is sweet but I would upgrade to 5 lug wheels on anything 914

Opinons on SO and no contrast... sail panels and roof (sanded smooth) painted SO?
Type 47
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 29 2013, 02:50 PM) *

I wanted Signal Orange or Tangerine but someone said factory black cars are special in some way.

Color change would have been hard since I didn't rotisserie the car.

I think there are fewer black cars than others...I have some 1970's body repair that will always be evident when the rear trunk mat is pulled up so originallity is not critical here

QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jan 29 2013, 03:24 PM) *

I plan on upgrading at some point...it has a "like new" set of ATS wheels on it now...plan is to get it all back together then think about the 5 lug Fuchs.
Dave_Darling
Black was an extra-cost optional color on the 914.

I prefer the black roof panel on any 914, regardless of the car's color.

Early cars had body-color bumpers if they weren't chrome. Might be a nice look. Later cars had satin black bumpers if they weren't chrome--then of course the last couple years had black rubber bumpers.

Look up the thread on the 914 configurator. I'm pretty sure that you can change around the color of bumpers, top, sail panels, and so on.

--DD
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 29 2013, 06:25 PM) *

Suspension paint thread

Thanks Bob!

Bumpers anyone?

Real nice set in the classifieds.
Type 47
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 29 2013, 07:22 PM) *

Black was an extra-cost optional color on the 914.

I prefer the black roof panel on any 914, regardless of the car's color.

Early cars had body-color bumpers if they weren't chrome. Might be a nice look. Later cars had satin black bumpers if they weren't chrome--then of course the last couple years had black rubber bumpers.

Look up the thread on the 914 configurator. I'm pretty sure that you can change around the color of bumpers, top, sail panels, and so on.

--DD

Oh yeah, i've had the configurator bookmarked for about 6 months. a very very cool site.

SO just looks a little off on it though but I've also got some good pics from posts here.

If is go with the black it's not an issue. I'm not sure I like the body colored sail panels with a black roof though. although that's how early euro cars were I think.

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:46 AM) *

Suspension paint thread

Thanks Bob!

Bumpers anyone?

I'm on it
Type 47
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:46 AM) *

Suspension paint thread

Thanks Bob!

Bumpers anyone?

The only ones I saw were the set on ebay...I only need the front and they won't ship the ebay ones.
jimkelly
various oranges
Type 47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 31 2013, 07:05 PM) *

various oranges

Thanks for posting pics of solid orange tops/sail panels.

Type 47
I hope this question doesn't get burried at the bottom here...if it does I will create a new post...

QUESTION: when i paint the car, everything is getting sprayed so, if you put the vinyl on can you removed it without damaging the paint?
charliew
All the vinyl I ever saw including my wifes 69 camaro could not be removed without some damage to the paint.
Type 47
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 1 2013, 07:06 PM) *

All the vinyl I ever saw including my wifes 69 camaro could not be removed without some damage to the paint.

That's what I thought...I guess the thought process should be not to go with the vinyl and hope to strip it off but to 1st go without and then put on the vinyl later if you just don't like the "naked" look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.