Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have I gotten myself into?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Erben914
I took off my rocker panels yesterday to shoot them black. The po had them bright green barf.gif
I spotted a tiny bit of rust around the passenger side jack hole area. I decided to poke at it with a screwdriver.
then a grinder.
and then a sawzall.

My little project turned into this...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

What have I gotten myself into?

I wanted to drive her around and enjoy my new little car for a few months before I go crazy with a full restore. sad.gif

JStroud
That's never good, I've got donor chunks of metal if you need them....you just have to cut them off the car.

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
That looks bad but totally fixable. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif Aren't you glad you found it now instead of having it collapse on you out on interstate 5? biggrin.gif
billh1963
From an East Coast perspective that is just a speck of rust (and if that's all you have you are nowhere near collapse). Fix it and drive!
rex66m
How did the hell hole look?
SirAndy
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 30 2013, 03:16 AM) *

From an East Coast perspective that is just a speck of rust (and if that's all you have you are nowhere near collapse). Fix it and drive!

agree.gif

Do a search here for "hell hole". There are several really good threads about fixing that area.
Repair panels are readily available from Restoration Design. They also run a banner Ad here.

welder.gif
injunmort
i am having the same experience. my last one appeared pretty solid, turns out not to be the case. all very repairable. it looks like your motor mount is compromised in your first photo. good luck with it.

biosurfer1
Let me know if you need some help, I'm local. Once I get my alternator back in, I'll have mine back on the road.
Erben914
QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 30 2013, 12:19 PM) *

How did the hell hole look?

The hell hole looks pretty good just a little on the battery tray. The donut is hanging by a thread and I am a little worried about the engine mount dish thing.
Erben914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jan 30 2013, 01:16 PM) *

Let me know if you need some help, I'm local. Once I get my alternator back in, I'll have mine back on the road.

Thanks biosurfer. I plan to weld in a patch panel to box the long back together until I tear it all apart and do a rotisserie in the fall. Is that just crazy? I want to keep driving it on the weekends and i am still planing on making the bay area meet on the 8th. I just love the go cart feel. I got it bad! driving.gif screwy.gif
Erben914
Here is how it worked out. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=365
405]
I'm back on the road. I'll re work the interior of that are and the motor mount when I dismantle everything in the fall.
Thanks for all of the help and advice.
Andyrew
Did you spray weldable primer on the back side before hand?

I would have also sprayed rust inhibitor or even just primer in the area before you sealed it up.

But hey a patch is a patch!

Eric_Shea
Don't be "That Guy" Andrew. slap.gif

That's an amazing repair that takes most guys here 4 years to complete. biggrin.gif
JStroud
Hey great job, that was fast. Might want to fix that motor mount before you drive too far. If you go for a drive this weekend, stop by, looks like I'll have your door here. Should get it today from Mike (kg6dxn).

Jeff
Erben914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jan 31 2013, 06:23 AM) *

Hey great job, that was fast. Might want to fix that motor mount before you drive too far. If you go for a drive this weekend, stop by, looks like I'll have your door here. Should get it today from Mike (kg6dxn).

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff. Are you gonna be around on Saturday?
And thanks Andrew. I didn't prime under the new plate. hissyfit.gif unsure.gif This started out as a temporary patch it turned out way better than I thought I could do.
I'm learning as I go. Do they sell the weld thru stuff at Home Depot for next time?
jersey914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2013, 08:27 AM) *

That's an amazing repair that takes most guys here 4 years to complete. biggrin.gif

agree.gif
jersey914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2013, 08:27 AM) *

agree.gif
Mike Bellis
Yep, Jeff should be here soon to pick up your door. It's a perfect matching color of red. Should look great on that white car... poke.gif
bembry
Note to self....DON'T poke my car's jackpoints! smile.gif

(sometimes, you just don't want to know)
Erben914
QUOTE(bembry @ Jan 31 2013, 04:28 PM) *

Note to self....DON'T poke my car's jackpoints! smile.gif

(sometimes, you just don't want to know)

Seriously! The passenger door shuts a lot better now smilie_pokal.gif
Erben914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 31 2013, 04:11 PM) *

Yep, Jeff should be here soon to pick up your door. It's a perfect matching color of red. Should look great on that white car... poke.gif

Thanks again Mike. I'll just throw some white primer on it for now.
JStroud
QUOTE(Erben914 @ Jan 31 2013, 06:53 PM) *

You mean this door?

Click to view attachment

Saturday works after 1:00, I have an appointment with clients in the morning.
I'll PM you my address.

Jeff
Gint
That's gettin it done. Nice work. welcome.png
Todd Enlund
Dude, you made a big hole in your car and had it fixed the next friggin' day?

beerchug.gif

Awesome!
Erben914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 31 2013, 08:49 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Awesome!

I know man I got obsessed about it. First time too!
My wife was a little irritated that i was so focused so I told her I was fixin it so that she could have the garage back. smoke.gif
Erben914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jan 31 2013, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Erben914 @ Jan 31 2013, 06:53 PM) *

You mean this door?

Click to view attachment

Saturday works after 1:00, I have an appointment with clients in the morning.
I'll PM you my address.

Jeff

It's beautiful biggrin.gif
Dude you either have carpet in your garage or your wife lets you park in the living room.
mtndawg
Wow!...am I reading this right, that you fixed this in 24 hours? Shipping usually takes longer than that. What's your estimate on a full restore, a week? Eric appears to know his way around metal.
Erben914
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Feb 1 2013, 06:49 AM) *

Wow!...am I reading this right, that you fixed this in 24 hours? Shipping usually takes longer than that. What's your estimate on a full restore, a week? Eric appears to know his way around metal.

Shipping... I made my own piece. No time for shipping.
7TPorsh
Do you have time to come down and do this to my car? Truly amazing!
gothspeed
QUOTE(Erben914 @ Jan 31 2013, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 31 2013, 08:49 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Awesome!

I know man I got obsessed about it. First time too!
My wife was a little irritated that i was so focused so I told her I was fixin it so that she could have the garage back. smoke.gif

Great job on that repair man smoke.gif!!
7TPorsh
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 1 2013, 10:02 AM) *

Do you have time to come down and do this to my car? Truly amazing!

Post number 914...wooohoooo
Eric_Shea
Yeah but now you screwed it up and are at post 915! ohmy.gif

If you post a reply you can be at 916... very rare indeed... lol3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.