Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High capcity oil pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi I'm installing an oil cooler in the front bumper of my '73 914. It's got a 2.4L 4 that's got 160hp & 170ft lbs of torque. I want to install a high capcity oil pump to keep oil pressure respectable. Any advice on who sells a good one? Do I have to drop motor to install it, & is it a simple switch or do you have to modify anything to make it fit? Any advice would be great.
Tom
pcar916
The six cylinder engines don't usually use an external oil pump. The existing pump in the engine case moves the oil through an external thermostat and into either the external oil tank when it's cold, or into an oil cooler after it warms up.

You would use an external pump in applications like a transaxle cooler when the transaxle doesn't have a pump internally. But only then when your usage makes the oil unbearably hot, and/or you need external filtration.

Good luck
JStroud
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 30 2013, 06:20 AM) *

The six cylinder engines don't usually use an external oil pump. The existing pump in the engine case moves the oil through an external thermostat and into either the external oil tank when it's cold, or into an oil cooler after it warms up.

You would use an external pump in applications like a transaxle cooler when the transaxle doesn't have a pump internally. But only then when your usage makes the oil unbearably hot, and/or you need external filtration.

Good luck

Classic case of, didn't actually read the question av-943.gif
McMark
av-943.gif Sorry, Ron.

Schadeck is the one I use, there is some modification that needs to be done, but Aircooled.net sells a unit that's ready to drop in. It can be installed with the engine in the car, I've done it three times in recent memory. But I have a lift and that makes things a whole bunch easier. In a garage, I'd probably pull the engine to do the install and make your life a whole lot easier, even though the process will take slightly longer.
pcar916
Ooops beerchug.gif Hope that's the worst thing that happens to me today!
Elliot Cannon
Is a higher capacity oil pump even necessary? I have a 2.2 liter type IV. If I want to relocate my external oil cooler from under the rear trunk to the front bumper is my current stock oil pump OK?
yeahmag
You need to consider this as a system and treat it holistically. You will need to size the pump by the length of your run - assuming you are using an external cooler and/or filter. You should consider adding the kit to stiffen up the bypass in the case and if using a filter adapter disable the ball/plunger bypass.

I'd consider 30mm the "norm" for this. 27mm pumps will probably be to small in the end. Aircooled.net is great to work with. Can't recommend them enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.