Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about buying my buddy's 915 box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Anyone have a ballpark idea of what a 915 box is worth when I know that it did absolutely work when it and the 2.7 it is mated to was pulled from a '78 911 w/ 195k on it? Not interested in the 2.7, but possibly the 915 transaxle. I'd plan on rebuilding it or sending it to the 'doc for a refresh.

$500? Less? More?

Randy
Mark Henry
Why? I wouldn't bother unless you had a higher performance /6.

If you can get it for $500 I'd buy it to flip it (no rebuild), but your buddy might not be pleased with that.
Also some 915's are a dogs breakfast.
Dr Evil
$500 is a good price. I have been trying to get some cores, but the prices are stupid with the lowest I have seen at $750 for a turd box. I would buy it from you for $500. The gearing in that one may be tight with high RPM. Also, if you can use a 901, do that. A 2.7 + 901 is a nice combo and saves a lot of headache.

RoadGlue
Oh, this would just be for a future project. Nothing right now. I have a nice 901 box for my current 4-banger project. The 2.7 is already in the process of being sold by my friend, so we were thinking of what to do with the 915 box. When I find that stash of gold I will have a 914-6. Until then, I'm very happy with a zippy little VW-Porsche motor. smile.gif

Thanks for the insight on the price. I'll pass that on and I'll probably pass on it as that money would be better spent on a new cam and other motor bits.
pdlightning
I paid 800 for mine and was glad to get it. If you can find a 930 box that would be better, but more expensive. It would be nice to have 108MM CVs instead of the 100 MM on the 915, but it is only a 4 speed.
Gint
I've been shopping for a 915 for a couple of months. That's a great buy, as described. I'll buy it if you don't. laugh.gif I've heard that a few times lately. I'm buying one for $1200 and it's a great buy for different reasons, hence the higher price.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 30 2013, 12:56 PM) *

Anyone have a ballpark idea of what a 915 box is worth when I know that it did absolutely work when it and the 2.7 it is mated to was pulled from a '78 911 w/ 195k on it? Not interested in the 2.7, but possibly the 915 transaxle. I'd plan on rebuilding it or sending it to the 'doc for a refresh.

$500? Less? More?

Randy

1978 911s were delivered with 3 liter engines. The tranny case was aluminum, vs. the mag alloy case for the 2.4/2.7 version of the 915. The mag case units are worth substantially less than the aluminum ones, and pre-'82 trannies have a weak 2nd gear synchro mechanism, which fails by blowing up. All 915s have problems with the shaft bearings coming adrift in the diff housing.

The Cap'n
PRS914-6
This is a subject that pays to research since it's much misunderstood. If that tranny is a 8:31 mag, you should snag it. In my opinion, this is the best one to get a since it has an iron girdle in the bearing housing where the races are pressed in but also has the 8:31 R/P and a low HP service life. Works great unless you are running really serious HP.

Everyone wants the aluminum case because aluminum is "stronger" but have you ever seen anyone complain that the mag case broke? Sure, aluminum is stronger than magnesium but that doesn't mean the mag will fail. Every aluminum case beats out the bearing holes because the aluminum 915 does not have the iron insert. I have yet to tear apart the aluminum version that did not have egg shaped holes and need to be repaired ($900). I have seen several where "rebuilders" used a center punch inside the holes to "repair" the sloppy egg shaped holes. Laughable.

So, you can hold out for a "stronger" aluminum box that has no iron around the bearings with egg shaped holes or you can buy the "inferior" mag version with the iron girdle and a low horsepower engine that has been attached to it for it's entire life.

Assume any tranny will need a rebuild and easily upgradeable. Take advantage of people running from the mag versions from lack of understanding and put that money saved into it's rebuild and you'll have a great box and save some $$

I'd happily buy one for $500

Good luck, these are always tough decisions with varied opinions.
By. 78 all 915s should be alu vs mag case. If memory is correct 77 was the transition year
Dr Evil
I have an almost complete 930 box that was shipped to me in pieces several years ago. I really need to get rid of it idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.