Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How good are the Late Model Eurovans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Well I am looking for something to drive everyday. i currently drive a standard 2008 Audi A4...the POS model. Bought it as a certified used from the dealer. Paying $400 for 4 more years; gotta get out of it.

I have two kids hitting puberty and both into sports, friends and doing stuff. I have been told the Audi is small and boring. So I need some room...plus I'm 6'4.

I like the late model Eurovans, like from 2000-2003. GTS model looks kinda cool with three seat rows; 6 seats.

Have an auction contact so I can hopefully get a good deal. Looking to keep a $7-8k budget and keep miles down.

Also thinking 2003 or so Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar Forerunner?

I did a search but didn't find anything specific.

Experiences? Opinions? Alternatives?

Tom_T
Can't speak from direct ownership experience, but we did test drive a new I-5 powered Eurovan based Winnebago Rialta, & it had about 100 new demo miles on it & the AC was out! Also the Audi I-5 was pretty useless pulling the weight of the camper rear box up the OC Canyon roads near that I-5 Camping Land set of dealerships.

We later test drove a VR6 one in AR during a family trip, where everything worked well & it had much better pulling power.

IMHO go for the VR6 powered Eurovan Westfalia Multi-van/Weekender or Winnebago full camper (a bit larger unit & both are pop-top campers, so you can also go camping & on trips with your kids. We did so with 2 kids up through teens & that included an annual long 4-6k XC trip too.

There are a few VR6 Rialtas around (a Class B or C Full-on Camper IIRC), but they're sorta big & less mpg for DD use, but you'd be the popular Dad with the "hospitality Suite" at all the kids' games & practices! biggrin.gif

The VR6 will also give you some modest towing capacity for around-the-house projects' materials, small boat/jet-skis, etc.

I'd also suggest you look at old Consumer Reports for which years had what problems, and ask a good local VW/Audi independent mechanic which years to look for, what typical problems & have him PPI whatever you're getting (if auctions, maybe he can go with you?).

VW & Audi were NOT stellar quality during the 80's & early 90's - so you have to go into it with open eyes, as we did when we bought our 88 Westy Vanagon new, & it has ended up costing 2-3x as much in maintenance as our also new bought 85 BMW 325e 2dr coupe since that time. Ours is an Auto/AT for my wife's DD, & both kids learned to drive in it, before moving up to manual trans.

I think Eurovans were slightly more reliable after the Vr6 came along.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
underthetire
my 01 GC was by far the best most reliable car i've owned. Just get the I6, not the V8. 4.7's dont last as long. I'd go 02-04 in those, they changed a couple things to make them even better. I got 270K out of mine when the AC went, so got rid of it. Expect 16-17 MPG is all though.
JamesM
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 30 2013, 02:25 PM) *

I have heard nothing but bad about Grand Cherokees, everyone I have known that owned one had pretty massive problems $$$

The regular Cherokees have a better reputation, never had a major problem with the one I had and it was an 87.
a914622
The 2000-2003 are not to bad. I would go with a manual and the vr6 if the buget is there. Same size as the vanagons they replaced.

But the options you have given i would see if you can find a 2 wheel drive 97-2002 4runner with the 4 banger manual. Good milage (24ish vers 15-16 for the v6 4wd) they are 4 door and you can run the hell out of them.

jcl
Tom_T
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 30 2013, 05:02 PM) *

I have heard nothing but bad about Grand Cherokees, everyone I have known that owned one had pretty massive problems $$$

The regular Cherokees have a better reputation, never had a major problem with the one I had and it was an 87.

My brother-in-law had nothing but trouble with his 87 Cherokee with the Renault based motor. IMHO stay away from them all in that era.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:11 PM) *

The 2000-2003 are not to bad. I would go with a manual and the vr6 if the buget is there. Same size as the vanagons they replaced.

But the options you have given i would see if you can find a 2 wheel drive 97-2002 4runner with the 4 banger manual. Good milage (24ish vers 15-16 for the v6 4wd) they are 4 door and you can run the hell out of them.

jcl

"Same size as the vanagons they replaced."? Nope. They're so big they won't fit on most lifts, and the Winnebago versions are even worse. I've worked on VWs for 40 years, and a Eurovan is the ONE VW I would NEVER own. EVER. Well, maybe the Phaeton, too. Try 11+ hours for a clutch. Try removing the complete right front suspension to replace the POS plastic pipes for the rear seat heater. ALL the replacement pipes are metal, what does that tell you? The instrument clusters fail with astonishing regularity, and late model VWs won't even start with a bad cluster. If the timing chain components fail (and they do, somewhere around 100K miles, more or less, it's the clutch job plus about 5 more hours. Gotta pull the tranny to get to the timing assembly. It takes around a half an hour to remove the bottom pan, working on the floor, just to get to the oil filter on the 5 cylinder versions. Fuggadaboutit!

The Cap'n
a914622
Crusty
They are the same lenth width and height as a vanagon. I have had my vanagon parked side by side with a 2001 eruvan. Only the roof shorter on the eurovans cuz the windsheild placment.

Of the 3 choises i would go with a 4runner as stated above.

jcl
underthetire
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 30 2013, 05:02 PM) *

We have had 3 of them, from 2001-2004 in the family. Almost no issues with any of them. Dad has an 07, no problems with that one either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.