Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire clearance - inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
hey all -

I have some new wheels - 17" - and am having clearance issues.

they have a 7.5" backspace -

I tried 1.5" spacers and not enough - I was rubbing on the inside TUB WALL.

so now have 2.0" spacers - will it be enough?

I"ll mount them up in the morning - but I suspect I'm not the first lemming down this path....

thoughts?

td
brant
I think 4.5 to 4.75 is the acceptable back space.
so I'm guessing you will need 3inch spacers

Randal
QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 30 2013, 05:33 PM) *

hey all -

I have some new wheels - 17" - and am having clearance issues.

they have a 7.5" backspace -

I tried 1.5" spacers and not enough - I was rubbing on the inside.

so now have 2.0" spacers - will it be enough?

I"ll mount them up in the morning - but I suspect I'm not the first lemming down this path....

thoughts?

td

What size wheels (width) and tires you running? Also is the set up square or staggered from front to rear?

The Gotti's I'm running have a bit more than 5" backspace and don't need any spacers in front or rear. Of course it's easy to get the right back space with three piece wheels as you can add whatever width you need on the outside rim, but get ready to change your flares, like I did, if you start running big wheels.
tadink
thanks guys -

I have GT flares and so am not worried about the outboard end of things, only the inside.

There is considerable rubbing on the inside during hard cornering as it sits now - so 1.5" is clearly not enough. Sounds like I'm in the market for 3" spacers...groan.

I'll have 2" available soon, just sayin!

td
brant
heck if you already ordered the 2's, try them and see
Mike Bellis
This is easily calculated with a tape measure and a straight edge. Take off the wheel. Jack up the suspension so it takes the weight of the car. Put the straight edge vertically on the stud face of the rotor. Measure from the inner fender to the straight edge. You need to have the back space of the rim + 3/8" minimum. A taller side wall will require more space. A shorter side wall can get away with less. This is also dependent on having the proper width tire for the rim. I'm guessing you have a 225 on that 7.5" rim.
bulitt
Go to the hardware store and get about 20 5/8" nuts and about 20 washers.
Stack the nuts and washers on three studs, mount the wheels, hand tighten the lugnuts and lower the jack until you can check the clearance - but don't let the weight completely off the jack.
So add or remove nuts/washers until you have the clearance you desire.
Then take the stack of nuts and washers off and measure the thickness. Now you know what spacer you will need.

Your camber setting is going to impact your clearance.
tadink
hi guys - thanks for all the comments - the 3/8" at least value is what I'm looking for.

In order to answer the question "how much space do I need so the tires won't rub on the inner fender well" - my camber setting will make a difference, as will the deflection of the tires under hard cornering, yes?

If I set up with 1/2" clearance between the tire and inner fender, will that be enough?

A picture below shows the offset / backspace of the wheels / tires I'm dealing with - the tape reads 7.5" from inner sidewall of the tire to the back of the wheel.Click to view attachment
tadink
QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 31 2013, 08:19 AM) *

hi guys - thanks for all the comments - the 3/8" at least value is what I'm looking for.

In order to answer the question "how much space do I need so the tires won't rub on the inner fender well" - my camber setting will make a difference, as will the deflection of the tires under hard cornering, yes?

If I set up with 1/2" clearance between the tire and inner fender, will that be enough?

A picture below shows the offset / backspace of the wheels / tires I'm dealing with - the tape reads 7.5" from inner sidewall of the tire to the back of the wheel.Click to view attachment

UPDATE: So, to answer my own question - I've put 2" spacers on wheels with 7.5" backspace - and now have a bit over 1/2" between the tire and tub-wall. I said inner fender before which probably screwed up everyone's thinking - sorry 'bout that. Unless the tires deflect under heavy cornering or the body roll is significant, I think I'm ok now.

I think the answer is, you need about 5" or less of backspace to clear the body - I've got 7.5" - 2" = 5.5" now....I'll run this a bit and check for rubbing.

thanks for your thoughts - beer3.gif

td
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.