Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot tranny flush?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
Okay, I need Dr. Evil and the other tranny gurus here to chime in. My current teener has only been in my possession for 6 months. I was going to replace the transmission fluid tomorrow because I have no idea how long the PO had the old oil in there, or what he had in there. Since it's 39 years old, I was wondering about the wisdom of having a hot flush done to clean out all the old oil and crud. What say all? Waste of money, or good way to start?

By the way, it currently shifts okay - some grinding if I shift into second too fast, but I know that that's not unusual for a 901.
scotty b
huh.gif That title might get the wrong kind of attention John huh.gif
draganc
make sure you can unscrew the filler plug before you drain the fluid!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(john_g @ Jan 31 2013, 09:20 PM) *

Okay, I need Dr. Evil and the other tranny gurus here to chime in. My current teener has only been in my possession for 6 months. I was going to replace the transmission fluid tomorrow because I have no idea how long the PO had the old oil in there, or what he had in there. Since it's 39 years old, I was wondering about the wisdom of having a hot flush done to clean out all the old oil and crud. What say all? Waste of money, or good way to start?

By the way, it currently shifts okay - some grinding if I shift into second too fast, but I know that that's not unusual for a 901.

What exactly is a Hot tranny flush? I know the 5-minute oil change shops have killed a lot of engines with there so called BS engine flush.

And your tranny grinds into 2nd because the dog teeth and syncro band is worn out.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 31 2013, 06:57 PM) *

What exactly is a Hot tranny flush?

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Just change the oil. No magic, no fancy stuff. If there is tar in there, you will not get it out without splitting the case. You dont need to worry as the crap stays at the bottom since there is no pump.
ThePaintedMan
Similar to a straight flush.... but with extra parts. biggrin.gif Still beats four of a kind.

I don't know what a hot flush means, never heard of it. I say just change the fluid first. If you still have shifting problems, as mentioned by others, its probably mechanical (synchros).
bandjoey
And don't forget.....regular old Dino Fluid...No Synthetic Fluid

Ask the experts and several recent threads on tranny fluid here
john_g
Thanks - that's what I kind of thought, and don't worry about the type of fluid - conventional GL-5 w/o the LSD additives.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(john_g @ Jan 31 2013, 11:00 PM) *

Thanks - that's what I kind of thought, and don't worry about the type of fluid - conventional GL-5 w/o the LSD additives.

IPB Image
02loftsmoor
I was woundering about that cheer.gif

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 31 2013, 09:01 PM) *

IPB Image

vw505
What about changing it after a short time in te highway, just to make it flow out a bit faster.
Dr Evil
Did I stutter???

"Just change the oil. No magic, no fancy stuff. If there is tar in there, you will not get it out without splitting the case. You dont need to worry as the crap stays at the bottom since there is no pump."

You can do that, but it is not going to do you much good and then you will be working with hot exhaust, hot oil, hot tranz, etc. That is a loss of productivity wink.gif
vw505
Good point.
yeahmag
I can't stop giggling every time I see this topic...

cheer.gif
76-914
A "hot flush" is also known as a "courtesy flush" and is employed when sitting in the stall next to someone after a spicy diner.
flippa
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 31 2013, 06:37 PM) *

huh.gif That title might get the wrong kind of attention John huh.gif

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 31 2013, 07:01 PM) *

[img]

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 1 2013, 10:42 AM) *

I can't stop giggling every time I see this topic...

cheer.gif

I was a little scared to open this thread. With this title, it sounds like it belongs in the Sandbox.
Steve
It's not any worse than the Doc's tranny clinic!! There's a bunch of people lining up in another thread to go to Canada to get there trannys checked out by the doctor. There making a big party out of it!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.