Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: took her for a short ride tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
took her out for about a 8 mile drive tonight! I can't believe how much better the shifting is when you add a little lube to the joints! Shifts great. Accelerates great. Right parking brake adjustment was grabbing a little and driver's headlight needs dialed more to the center. Both headlights could stand to go higher. The dims are terribly dim. I don't know if I got my wiring wrong on the headlights? Also, the dimmer switch doesn't always go back to brights from the dim setting but I can hear the switch clicking when I try to switch it back to brights. I thought my fuel pump relay was not working from a month ago until I read a post today talking about the fuel pump only kicking on for 1-1.5 seconds when the ignition is first turned on. Back when I was commisioning the fuel system I never heard the fuel pump coming on and thought something was wrong with the circuit so I had installed a jumper in place of the fuel relay. After reading the post today I pulled my jumper wire and reinstalled the relay and walla! the fuel pump kicks on for a short cycle then turns off and the the engine stars and runs like it is supposed to do! I am soo happy. I will try to get the wheels aligned tomorrow if one of multiple shops is available tomorrow.
smile.gif cheer.gif beer3.gif piratenanner.gif
jdlmodelt
Sorry, pic. Haha!
JawjaPorsche
I love it when a plan comes together! beerchug.gif
jsayre914
Nice

driving.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 31 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Nice

driving.gif

My local mechanic told me I need to think about making the tires all the same size next. Any thoughts on that?
Spoke
The car looks good. Glad it's running too. LOL.

It looks like the front is lower than the rear. If you run same size wheels front/rear, it's probably good to run the same tires, too. 205/50/15 look good on the 914.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 31 2013, 09:41 PM) *

The car looks good. Glad it's running too. LOL.

It looks like the front is lower than the rear. If you run same size wheels front/rear, it's probably good to run the same tires, too. 205/50/15 look good on the 914.

Thanks Spoke, I will put some new ones on at some point. I have to replace my Honda Ridgeline tires next week due to a broken belt on one of them and they are around only 20% left anyway...so no big loss. but it puts the Porsche tires off for a while. Lots of tread left on the Porsche except for the different tire size between front and back.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 31 2013, 08:36 PM) *

My local mechanic told me I need to think about making the tires all the same size next. Any thoughts on that?

Yes definitely. I've never run a staggered setup myself so I can't say from experience, but it has got to change the handling characteristics.

I would do it before you spend money on alignment. Likely you will be changing ride height adjustments when you get tires with the same rolling radius at all four corners and this will change alignment. Might as well only spend time and money once if you are going to change tires soon.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 31 2013, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 31 2013, 08:36 PM) *

Yes definitely. I've never run a staggered setup myself so I can't say from experience, but it has got to change the handling characteristics.

I would do it before you spend money on alignment. Likely you will be changing ride height adjustments when you get tires with the same rolling radius at all four corners and this will change alignment. Might as well only spend time and money once if you are going to change tires soon.

That is good advice. I better go that route. I hate to do things twice. I guess I might get away with only changing the fronts or the backs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.