Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funky noise from the front end....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Need help. I have been chasing an odd sound for some weeks now and am no closer to figuring it out.

I can only descibe it as a fairly loud rubbing sound that's frequency coincides with my speed. Seems localized to the front pax side. But is intermittent. Once it starts making the sound, appling the brakes makes no impact to the sound. Moving the steering wheel makes no impact to the sound. Only after I come to a complete stop, and then take off again does it go away.

The only thing I can find that seems to start the rubbing sound again is after traveling at a speed greater that 40 mph or so. But once again, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I have also noticed it (sometimes) beginning after going over a bumpy road or a hard turn.

Background info:
-Replaced the pax side inner and outer wheel bearings last week- no impact
-Driver's side wheel bearings have only have approx 15k miles on them.
-In the past month I installed a new 19mm M/C and new SS brake lines. Anything hear that could have caused this?
-As far as I know, the front suspension and steering assy have never been touched.
-My tires and wheels have been on the car for quite sometime, so nothing new there.

At this point I suspect something in the suspension, but what is messing with me is the the relatively high volume of the sound and that its frequency is timed with the speed of the car.

sorry for the long blog....... headbang.gif

thanks in advance givemebeer.gif
r_towle
check your calipers to make sure they are clean, and release pressure all the way...

set it on stands and spin the wheel after applying the brakes hard and see if the rubbing sound is still there.

Check the back side of your rotor for rust and a non smooth condition, replace as needed.

check your pads and apply brake grease to where the pads come in contact with the caliper to ensure that they slide freely.

good luck.
jr91472
thanks r_towle,

Unfortunately, I cannot make the rubbing sound while the car is on stands. But you have given me something to think about.

Regarding the rotors - there is no rust on either face of the rotor but the edge is very rusted. I am referring to the surface of the rotor that facing the ground (like the tread on the tire). So much in fact that when removing the calipers last week (wheel bearing change out), I had to pry the caliper off the rotor.

Exactly how to I ensure that the caliper is releasing all the pressure?

I should have mentioned as well the right now the car is pulling to the left when breaking. I had assumed I needed to rebleed the pax side caliper again. Another symptom?

anyone..... icon_bump.gif
qa1142
Check for rub marks on your brake lines
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.