Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another tranny q: leak/missing bolt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
Thanks for everyone's input on transmission flush and jack points. I replaced the fluid with some conventional GL-5 (and yes ... I made sure that I could remove the fill plug before I drained it), and I think it made a difference in the smoothness of the shifting. A big part of this improvement may be that there was only about a litre of oil in there.

I have a transmission leak and thought that once I got it up in the air I could have a better look at it. I may have found the problem - I think there's a studded bolt missing/broken off in the rear cover. See photo - shouldn't that hole to the right contain a bolt/nut like the other two?Click to view attachment
BajaXJ92
blink.gif

That is one leaky trans!

Check out this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=202947

Even if it doesn't end up needing a rebuild, Dr. Evil's DVD will actually teach you how to reseal it at the same time.

Good luck! smile.gif

Edit- By the way, that might not all be gear oil. Is the bottom of your engine covered in oil as well?
john_g
No, the engine bottom is clean. I'm 99% sure it was all tranny oil. And yeah, it's messy. sad.gif
Dr Evil
That is an aligning stud, not a broken stud. Not the source of the leak smile.gif Clean oil tends to show you where your leaks are and seals need to be replaced.
john_g
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 1 2013, 06:50 PM) *

That is an aligning stud, not a broken stud. Not the source of the leak smile.gif Clean oil tends to show you where your leaks are and seals need to be replaced.

Thanks, Doc. beerchug.gif I'll clean the whole area and look for the leak. I suspect it's in the rear. Can the rear seal be replaced w/o dropping the engine and transmission?

Being on the west coast and unable to travel to the east for the clinic, I should purchase the rebuild Dvd if there are any still available.

Leak aside, the car shifts pretty smoothly.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(john_g @ Feb 1 2013, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 1 2013, 06:50 PM) *

Thanks, Doc. beerchug.gif I'll clean the whole area and look for the leak. I suspect it's in the rear. Can the rear seal be replaced w/o dropping the engine and transmission?

Being on the west coast and unable to travel to the east for the clinic, I should purchase the rebuild Dvd if there are any still available.

Leak aside, the car shifts pretty smoothly.

I have DVDs left. The rear seal can be changed in the car, it can be tricky, ask questions here. No sealant. For DVD you can PayPal $30 to (make my 914 go) at yahoo.com, remove spaces and brackets in address. If you get stuck needing a rebuild, people ship to me often wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.