Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martini 914 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
raynekat
Lookin' good Mats.

I like the stripes with the Martini on the angle (middle one).
It will look great whatever you choose.

Keep up the great work. smile.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

sorry for spamming almost the same pics but I'm just soo really pleased with how the stripes are turning out on the car... wub.gif
mepstein
I like the stripes a lot.
EdwardBlume
Dig the stripes. Very Martini!
falcor75
IPB Image

Got an hour in the garage last night and got the old crank seal pulled out, measured the crank axial play with 3x0,34 mm schims in place and got 0,1-0,11 mm of play so that should be ok. Put in a new seal and torqued everything up.

I know the pressure plate looks crap but its just surface rust, both clutch and pressure plate only have a few thousand miles on them according to the receipts I got with the car.
thieuster
Familiar sight! That's what I was looking at only a few weeks back. Have a good look at the flywheel.

BTW, I like the look of the braided hoses/sleeves over the thick wire on the background! Looks classy.

About the Martini striping: are you going to add the word Martini as well, or will you keep it like this? I would have considered adding the word, but when I look at the car 'as is', I am not so sure. The stripe logo is so iconic!

Menno
falcor75
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 11 2015, 07:40 AM) *

Familiar sight! That's what I was looking at only a few weeks back. Have a good look at the flywheel.

BTW, I like the look of the braided hoses/sleeves over the thick wire on the background! Looks classy.

About the Martini striping: are you going to add the word Martini as well, or will you keep it like this? I would have considered adding the word, but when I look at the car 'as is', I am not so sure. The stripe logo is so iconic!

Menno

Yes I understand what you mean about the stripes, without the "Martini" logo its a very nice clean look. I wont add the logo right away as I kinda like it like this...dont want to rush and do something I regret.

This weekend I will hopefully finish putting the last stripes onto the engine lid aswell and then I can call that finished...for now. The goal is to have the engine back in the car by the end of the month and then start laying out the new ecu-harness.
falcor75
Click to view attachment

While torquing the inner nut with the rear sway arm in the horizontal position I just had to see if I had clearance with the 7x15 Cookiecutter and my 195-55-15 Nankang NS-2R tires and it seems to fit perfectly.

Click to view attachment

Mmmmm.....gooold... blink.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Engine is in! piratenanner.gif
thieuster
Looks fantastic! Keep posting these pics

Menno
gereed75

really really nice build, Has that techno clean look going on. aktion035.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

New battery holder lasercut, bent and welded up. Still unsure where to position the battery tho. Either the stock location or lower down on the passenger firewall.

Any suggestions?
barefoot
With that height for your battery box, you may have to mount it much lower to be able to remove the battery, stock boxes much lower side walls.
Cairo94507
If not in the stock location, may not be possible given the height of your battery, then the lower in the car the better. Car is looking very nice BTW. biggrin.gif
arkitect
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jun 26 2015, 11:50 AM) *

Mats,
What type of carbs are you using? Looks similar to the Weber IDF's but velocity stack top is different.

Dave
falcor75
Dave: they're not carbs they're IDF pattern throttle bodies with injector ports (the round holes visible below the stacks) The stacks themselves will eventually be switched to taller full radii stacks.
914_teener
Great thread and great work.

I was wondering that myself.

Looks like crankfire and ITB's What are you going to use? Microsquirt or was it already set up when you got the car.

Can you tell us about the induction system and ignition you plan on using?
falcor75
I'm using a crank trigger and minicam sync from Mario @ thedubshop.net
He also sells the ITB's I have but I bought mine from the UK.
For fuel and spark I will be using 4 LS2 coils and a set of 350 cc Bosch injectors from a Saab 9-5 Aero.

All this will be driven by a swedish developed EFI system called Maxxecu, its kinda like Megasquirt but a but more "coherent" if that makes any sense....not alot of addons needed instead its all included in one package. Onboard wideband, E85 ready, bluetooth built-in etc. ( http://www.maxxtuning.eu/maxxecu/ )

Future wise the goal is to build a new 2276 longblock with around 10:1 compression running E85. The whole fuel system has been replaced using Chris's stainless lines and E85 compatible Gates hoses.
falcor75
Well today I installed the Tangerine shift adjuster and the shift rods. Since I've never really driven my car much I dont remember how it should feel, Shifts are a bit notchy and stiff but at least I can find all the gears.
falcor75
IPB Image

New sparkplugs going in.

IPB Image

ECU in place

IPB Image

Battery in place

IPB Image

and then....there's the wiring......Yay! headbang.gif

IPB Image

Getting the dash top in place and putting the plastic nuts in place is a dream job...not.

IPB Image

Got some Vintage Gold plastidip on the remaining Cookies aswell. Thinking of trading my set of 3 Fuchs for a set of BBS RS or Mahles.
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Touchdown! blink.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif wub.gif
Scott S
Very cool!! You are making me miss my old car!
beerchug.gif
thieuster
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 10 2015, 07:40 PM) *

Wow, great! Tell me more about the plastidip thing. Difficult? AFAIK, it's reversable without negative consequenses. Am I correct?

Menno
falcor75
No the plastidip is quite easy.

Degrease your wheels and mask off any area you dont want to paint.
First layer goes on very very thin, allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes.
Second layer goes on normally thick, it wont cover everything yet.
Again let dry for about 5 minutes.
Third layer should cover the base surface completely, fourth layer goes on pretty much just after the third has dried alittle. Remove the masking while the paint is wet (just be carefull) There's plenty of youtube videos showing the process. The paint will peel off easily if you're not happy with it, just find an edge and pull. smile.gif
falcor75
CRAP!

ok....so how bad is a wobbly exhaust stud on the #3 cylinder?

Engine out, apart and repair bad or buy a new head bad?

sad.gif

Kinda lost my momentum when I noticed this earlier.....
DavidSweden
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 29 2015, 09:02 AM) *

CRAP!

sad.gif

Mats,
Your car looks great. I am in Gothenburg so I will look forward to having a good look at it some time in the future.
I am not sure what your last post means have you a bad thread on the exhaust stud?
I had this problem with one of the exhaust studs on my 912, I the hole welded, bored out and a helicoil installed it was like new and it didn't cost an arm and a leg
falcor75
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 29 2015, 07:21 PM) *

CRAP!

sad.gif

Mats,
Your car looks great. I am in Gothenburg so I will look forward to having a good look at it some time in the future.
I am not sure what your last post means have you a bad thread on the exhaust stud?
I had this problem with one of the exhaust studs on my 912, I the hole welded, bored out and a helicoil installed it was like new and it didn't cost an arm and a leg

You are welcome up here anytime if you want to have a look before I get it drivable, wont be till next year I can drive it tho... I'm 90 km's north of Gbg.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 29 2015, 09:47 AM) *

CRAP!

sad.gif

Mats,

You are welcome up here anytime if you want to have a look before I get it drivable, wont be till next year I can drive it tho... I'm 90 km's north of Gbg.

Thanks for the invitation, I would like to come by. I have time this week up until sunday, does that work for you?
falcor75
After sleeping on the issie I've decided to finish all the ECU wiring before I pull the engine to get the exhaust stud fixed. That way pulling the engine will feel like a bit of a reward for finishing the wiring.... (yeah I'm wierd like that....) screwy.gif

Dave_Darling
Probably the easiest solution would be to drill and tap for an oversize exhaust stud. There are 8/9 mm ones, and I think 8/10 mm ones as well. I'd bet that Mittlemotor carries them.

--DD
falcor75
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 30 2015, 04:49 PM) *

Probably the easiest solution would be to drill and tap for an oversize exhaust stud. There are 8/9 mm ones, and I think 8/10 mm ones as well. I'd bet that Mittlemotor carries them.

--DD

Yes that will work, I'll just have to get the engine out and take the head off and get it done somewhere. Might get the heads flowmeasured while its out and have them both checked out.
falcor75
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 29 2015, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 29 2015, 09:47 AM) *

CRAP!

sad.gif

Mats,

Thanks for the invitation, I would like to come by. I have time this week up until sunday, does that work for you?

I had a visit from David today and there was I think almost two hours of 914 talk. I think he liked what I've done so far. beerchug.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

Today I pretty much finished up running the lines for the oilcooler and got to see the front end assembled for the first time. The bottom valance is kinda screwed up from being patched a few times but it'll do for now. Eventually I'll get a replacement one.

IPB Image

I also got some adapters for the ITB's, they'll let me use any IDF style air filter.

IPB Image

Also got the LS2 coils and made a bracket for them.
raynekat
Looking really good there....
falcor75
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 9 2015, 02:26 AM) *

Looking really good there....

tHANKS smile.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

ECU mounted

IPB Image

Injector connectors

IPB Image

Engine harness routing

IPB Image

TPS connector

IPB Image

Wires wires and more wires.... blink.gif

IPB Image

WB O2 connector.
914forme
Wow excellent work on that wiring harness!!!
falcor75
Thanks smile.gif
phillstek
Nice build, man! I really like your vision for the car and the way you’re putting it all together. You should be well pleased with yourself.
thieuster
Looks stunning! Keep posting this sort of pics! I really like 'em.

Menno
mrfourteen
Was the 914 meet at Niklas Ekström home near Malmo?
He has some nice rolling stock.
falcor75
That's correct, he's got a nice little aircooled and watercooled fleet. wub.gif
mrfourteen
I have a similar build to yours in process.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2215168

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Oct 8 2015, 09:15 PM) *

falcor75
QUOTE(mrfourteen @ Oct 9 2015, 06:42 PM) *

I have a similar build to yours in process.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2215168

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Oct 8 2015, 09:15 PM) *

I know, I'm subscribed to your thread. Yours looks awsome! smile.gif beerchug.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

Merry Christmas! santa_smiley.gif
thieuster
Classy, very classy.

I have nothing to match that - only perhaps that I wish you all a Merry Christmas from a blowtorch hot (!) part of Europe. No need for winter tires!

Menno
DavidSweden
Looks good Mats, when will you fire it up?

Maybe I could come over and take a closer look if you are around over christmas and the New year.

David
falcor75
Houston, we have cranking rpm... biggrin.gif

Got some work done today. Pulled the intakes off, removed the plugs and checked the plug gaps. All good. Proceeded to mount the oil filter, fill the engine with oil.
Then I built a remote start switch and hooked it up. *drumroll* It cranks! smile.gif

IPB Image

Nice with a built-in oscilloscope in the tuning software.

IPB Image
falcor75
IPB Image

Oil pressure is up.

And today I also verified that I have spark on all four cylinders and that my timing light was dead on arrival. Waiting for new intake gaskets before I can button everything up again.

Oh and the engine harness was finished today. Wired up the E85 flexfuel sensor and
cut and tucked the last remaining spare input/output wires.

falcor75
https://youtu.be/8FGpixyAc0w

Its alive! aktion035.gif

Granted firing it up revealed a few issues to be solved.

1. The new hi torque starter doesnt disengage quick enough, you can hear the slight whine in the beginning of the video till it disengages.

2. Turning the key off doesnt kill the engine, it keeps running and I have to kill it via the laptop interface to the ecu. I'm not sure why this happens.

Click to view attachment

This is how I've hooked up the ecu, switched power from the post on the relay board to a separate relay that controls the power to the ECU.

3. Third issue is an oil leak from the left side valve cover. Suck having to pull the heat exchanger down to get access and fix it. Do I need to drain the oil before removing the valve cover?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.