Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martini 914 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
falcor75
While I'm waiting for the motor to be done I'm fixing small issues...

IPB Image

The light weight front hood kit I bought from Camp914 has never been working properly, the struts were too weak to hold the hood up so I finally got tired of it and set to fixing it.

IPB Image

Moving the hinge bracket to this location gives it a much better angle to hold the hood up. Drilled new holes and mounted the bracket with M5 countersunk screws and nyloc nuts.

IPB Image

Tadaa! No more shamefull broomshaft to hold the hood up. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Another thing thats been bugging me is the brake pedal feel. I suspected I hadnt gotten all the air out of the brake pressure valve.

IPB Image

One 12 inch steel braided brake hose with male M10x1 in each end later and I can bleed the valve easily with two M10 bleed nipples on it, remount it on the firewall, reattach the hardlines and then bleed the rear calipers as normal. For apparent reasons I havnt driven the car yet but the pedal feels firmer.

IPB Image

195/55-15 on a 7x15 rim is a bit wide for the front trunk board to fit in place.

IPB Image

Spare wheel from a 944 will have to do.

IPB Image

And a small side project for my garage as SWD didnt want it in the livingroom.
falcor75
IPB Image

New parts from 914rubber arrived today, the new front trunk seal, heater valve hoses, raintray hoses, trunk targa cups and the door jamb vents.

IPB Image

Fit and finish was perfect. Good job Mark! smile.gif
barrym
could you measure the gas struts and see what the writing on the side says for how many kilos its supposed to hold please ?
Cairo94507
Way to go. Nice to knock off items like that. Car is looking very nice.
falcor75
QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 23 2016, 10:47 AM) *

could you measure the gas struts and see what the writing on the side says for how many kilos its supposed to hold please ?

The strut is 30 cm extended and 20,5 compressed. Theres no text on it at all but when compressed and held against a bathroom scale is shows 8,5 kg's.
falcor75
https://www.facebook.com/170137546413331/vi...02990469794696/

New engine was started and run in today by the engine builder. smile.gif
raynekat
Nice "recovery" Mats from your previous bad luck with the engine. Sounds great!
2mAn
those little touches go VERY far on older cars! How big is this big four going to be?
falcor75
It's a 78 stroke and 96 bore so 2276. Should give at least 150 hp.
SixerJ
Looking forward to more pics and details chowtime.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Aug 12 2016, 08:56 AM) *

Looking forward to more pics and details chowtime.gif

The specs from what I remember:
DPR 78 mm crank,
Web 86b/c cam with new lifters
H-beam rods with ARP bolts.
Keith Black pistons
Bored stock 2.0 cylinders.
New flywheel with Kennedy pressureplate and clutch
Cr-Mo Pushrods
1700 heads welded and machined to 2.0 914 spec + porting + all new hardware.

falcor75
IPB Image

Previously I had the ignition coils mounted on an aluminium bracket sitting ontop of the engine. But I didnt like the cluttered look of it with all the connectors attached.

IPB Image

So now I'm mounting the coils on the rear wall of the engine bay. Using aluminium M6 rivnuts to attach the coils to the sheet metal.
jd74914
That look is better!

Are you mapping for ethanol content changes? It looks like you have a Continental flex fuel sensor mounted on the suspension console.
falcor75
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 19 2016, 09:03 PM) *

That look is better!

Are you mapping for ethanol content changes? It looks like you have a Continental flex fuel sensor mounted on the suspension console.

Yes its an ethanol sensor but to start with I will be running straight 98/99 octane premium fuel in the newly built engine so while the sensor is fully wired up to my ECU its readings will not be used in the fuel map.
barrym
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 24 2016, 02:01 AM) *

QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 23 2016, 10:47 AM) *

The strut is 30 cm extended and 20,5 compressed. Theres no text on it at all but when compressed and held against a bathroom scale is shows 8,5 kg's.

thankyou !!!!
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Almost crate opening time! w00t.gif
76-914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 31 2016, 01:55 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Almost crate opening time! w00t.gif

Now that's the proper way to ship an engine! Someone can see the light at the end of the tunnel. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Claus Graf
Good work!
falcor75
Well as some of you know I've had issues with how my 2270 engine was built so today it was sent back to the builder to be fixed. But here's some nice pics from this spring when I drove around the block with the stock 2.0 for the first time with all the panels on, the only thing missing is the doorcards. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also got Spokes front LED in white/amber waiting to go on but I'll wait with mounting those untill the car has been inspected and passed the "mot" test.

76-914
Looks great! Ant wait to find out what the builder discovers. popcorn[1].gif
raynekat
Car absolutely looks great.

The stripes really work with the white background and lack of badging on the car.

Once you get that engine finished up and installed, you'll be "back in business" again.
Keep up the great work Mats!
falcor75
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2016, 06:57 PM) *

Looks great! Ant wait to find out what the builder discovers. popcorn[1].gif

Hopefully he wont discover much of anything. He finished building the engine only 3 weeks ago. But he built it with 5.6" rods without telling me that would make the engine 15 mm's wider than stock, he also didnt use my donor 1.7 case and instead used a buss case which I wasnt too thrilled about. He's been understanding to my disapointment and will take the engine back to install 5.4" rods and use the case I sent him.

So I'll have to wait a bit longer but in the end it will be worth it.
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Engine is back!

Click to view attachment

Gearbox was happy to see engine back in the garage...

Click to view attachment

I'm happy to see them both back in the car. biggrin.gif
Frankvw
Good to see you have the engine, Mats. All worked out fine ?
falcor75
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Nov 28 2016, 07:26 AM) *

Good to see you have the engine, Mats. All worked out fine ?

...ummm....yeah.... At least I have the engine how I wanted it now.
falcor75
https://youtu.be/fPetao_syGY

Today we made some noise and got the idle and low revs tuning set up good enough to ba able to put it onto a trailer and eventually take it to the tuners.

Need to check the #3 cylinder temp sensor because it wasnt following the #1 cylinder sensor at all temperature wise....
Frankvw
Hey Mats, happy new year to you. Good to see this small video. That exhaust sounds good !
falcor75
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jan 7 2017, 09:34 PM) *

Hey Mats, happy new year to you. Good to see this small video. That exhaust sounds good !

Thank you Frank, it sure does....cant wait to hear it do more than 2000 rpm, at 2000 it will have almost another 5k to go before the revlimiter cuts in. drooley.gif
Maltese Falcon
Amazing T4 build and perfect Livery...now in the mood for a martini/ Grey goose please biggrin.gif
falcor75
Would that be shaken or stirred Sir? biggrin.gif

I've pulled the old roll bar out to try to get it ready for blasting and powdercoat but first
I rescued these old tech inspection labels from it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 7 2017, 12:43 PM) *

https://youtu.be/fPetao_syGY

Today we made some noise and got the idle and low revs tuning set up good enough to ba able to put it onto a trailer and eventually take it to the tuners.

Need to check the #3 cylinder temp sensor because it wasnt following the #1 cylinder sensor at all temperature wise....

Now that is music to the ears beerchug.gif
914_teener
Love the period inspection stickers.

Sorry if this is a repetitive request:

Can you post the details of the induction that you are running?

Thanks!
falcor75
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 8 2017, 06:29 PM) *

Love the period inspection stickers.

Sorry if this is a repetitive request:

Can you post the details of the induction that you are running?

Thanks!

Empi Type 4 manifolds
http://www.scatvw.com/intake-manifolds/

40 mm Throttle bodies from www.thedubshop.net / http://vwspeedshop.com/

Throttle linkage from Tangerineracing (needs to be modified a bit to fit)

+ whatever airfilters and IDF pattern intake trumpets you feel like using.
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Pulled of the passenger side intake manifold to get the the #3 spark plug.

Click to view attachment

Removed the culprit temo sensor and I've sent it back to the vendor to hopefully be exchanged.

Click to view attachment

Very happy with the Scart muffler, the fit against the heater boxes was spot on, unlike the old Bursch snake pit that needed alot more effort to put in place.
bretth
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 02:35 AM) *

Very happy with the Scart muffler, the fit against the heater boxes was spot on, unlike the old Bursch snake pit that needed alot more effort to put in place.

Did you get the Scart Super Sound? Eventually I am getting one for my car. Can't wait to hear a video of it singing.

Brett
falcor75
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 11 2017, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 02:35 AM) *

Did you get the Scart Super Sound? Eventually I am getting one for my car. Can't wait to hear a video of it singing.

Brett

Yes I did.... biggrin.gif Will be awhile yet for any highrev singing as we still will have 3-4 months of winter to endure.....
falcor75
Well I got my faulty CHT sensor replaced and this weekend I've been running the engine on low revs and letting it heat up properly to check that both the air flap thermostat and oil cooler thermostat opens as they should. I've also verified that when the ecu sends 0 degrees ignition thats what the engine gets, also checked that the 27 degree mark lines up with the ignition locked to 27 degrees. Also been working on syncing the itb's as best I can with a synchrometer. The resulting airflow ended up at (6) (5) (5.5) (5.5) at 1000 rpm idle.

Over the next few days I'm going to drain the fuel tank to replace it with fresh fuel since the fuel thats in it has been sitting since may last year.
Larmo63
No heat baffle above the muffler?

Maybe I missed that part of the thread.

Beautiful car!!!

beerchug.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 31 2017, 05:33 AM) *

No heat baffle above the muffler?

Maybe I missed that part of the thread.

Beautiful car!!!

beerchug.gif

Ummm...yeah about that..... unsure.gif

I kinda forgot to put that back.....which I've noticed now as I've been running the engine that the trunk floor gets warm-ish. Got a solution for it tho, will hopefully show it in a day or two. smile.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment
Slowly working thru my pre dyno checklist, draining the old gas from last years dyno attempt and will replace it with fresh fuel. The old fuel I put into the wifeys Saab and then I still had about 25 liters left so I had to call a friend over to put those in his car since I had no place else to put it.

Click to view attachment
Then onto the issue with the missing heat shield. I took a few measurements and drew one up in Solidworks, bought some 2 mm sheet of aluminium and then bribed the laser boys at work that cut the shape for me. Did the bend myself at home between two screwed together 2x4's. Using the rear sway bar holes as mounting points Then I will also add a couple of connections to the lower bumper mounting bolts aswell to keep it from rattling around.
jim_hoyland
I see the Scart mufflers are made in France: are they available as one in the USA ?

And, beautiful build, thanks for sharing.
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 1 2017, 02:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Slowly working thru my pre dyno checklist, draining the old gas from last years dyno attempt and will replace it with fresh fuel. The old fuel I put into the wifeys Saab and then I still had about 25 liters left so I had to call a friend over to put those in his car since I had no place else to put it.

Click to view attachment
Then onto the issue with the missing heat shield. I took a few measurements and drew one up in Solidworks, bought some 2 mm sheet of aluminium and then bribed the laser boys at work that cut the shape for me. Did the bend myself at home between two screwed together 2x4's. Using the rear sway bar holes as mounting points Then I will also add a couple of connections to the lower bumper mounting bolts aswell to keep it from rattling around.

Looks good!
EdwardBlume
Looks really good. I was a part of LPR and GGR back in the day. Don't remember this car, but there were many back then.... Great to see it your hands. aktion035.gif
falcor75
Question: Should I paint the heat shield silver (high temp paint) or keep it bare aluminium?
Dave_Darling
Bare is easiest. It shouldn't corrode, and even high-temp paint isn't perfect.

--DD
falcor75
Whooohoo ! I won a €500 Euro gift certifiqate to one of the local Tools/garage equipement shops for being voted "Project of the month". Will use it towards a new Tig welder. Perfect in time for my birthday. biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 7 2017, 12:45 AM) *

Whooohoo ! I won a €500 Euro gift certifiqate to one of the local Tools/garage equipement shops for being voted "Project of the month". Will use it towards a new Tig welder. Perfect in time for my birthday. biggrin.gif

That's awesome!! Congratulations!! biggrin.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/model TIG are you thinking of? Just out of curiosity, do you have the Miller/Lincoln/Thermal Arc stuff we typically see in the USA or more European brands like HTP/Kemppi?
falcor75
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2017, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 7 2017, 12:45 AM) *

That's awesome!! Congratulations!! biggrin.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/model TIG are you thinking of? Just out of curiosity, do you have the Miller/Lincoln/Thermal Arc stuff we typically see in the USA or more European brands like HTP/Kemppi?

Thanks Jim.

The most common brands at least here in Sweden are Esab and Kemppi.
At my work the welders use mainly Fronius and Kemppi Machines, we have a few Esabs too I Think.

Since I was limited to using the certifiqate in their own store I had no choice but to go for their own brand. Its a rebranded chinese build machine but I've cheecked it out and for hobby use even some experienced welders Think its more than ok.

http://verktygsboden.se/tigsvetsar/tiginverter-200-acdc

200A, AC/DC Inverter. I picked it up yesterday and also bought a better weld "Gun" package since the stock one felt really cheap.
jd74914
Interesting. I'd never heard of Kemppi, and saw a ton of their machines in a Polish shop which was what made me curious since they seemed to really like them.

The one you got looks pretty nice! It looks like it has all of the pulse, balance, and taper features you want to weld aluminum. Congratulations again!
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Spent yesterday afternoon assembling the cart, sharpening tungstens and then laid my first beads.....Now I just need lots and lots of practice... welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.