Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martini 914 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Saturday noon I had the car out and drove it around the block. smile.gif

Now 48 hours later we have had 24 hours of snow and somewhere between 10 and 20 inches depending on the drifts.... headbang.gif
914forme
Congrats on a very nice build and the new welder.

first.gif
Frankvw
Hi Mats ! Looking sharp. at least you already drove your 914, even though it was a short trip. Engine running fine ?
falcor75
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Mar 6 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Hi Mats ! Looking sharp. at least you already drove your 914, even though it was a short trip. Engine running fine ?

Engine is running ok, still havnt had it on the dyno to get tuned so I'm puttering below 3k rpm still.
mlindner
Congrats Mats, very nice build. thanks for sharing. Best, Mark
falcor75
Thank you Stephen and Mark. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Today I started setting up a digital dash on the small tablet I bought last summer to use in the car. I will also use it for navigation and to hold my favorite Spotify playlists.
(please ignore the top right temp sensor saying pressure sensor, havnt found where to edit that text yet)

Click to view attachment

Had to try a shot from the rear with the interior garage lights off. Not sure I will have it up there. Working on a solution to have it sit below the dash instead.

Click to view attachment

And this is the current weather, just below freezing and snowing. I'm kinda digging the look without the rear valance (correct word?) I might leave it off for awhile to flaunt my pretty silencer.
porschetub
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 9 2017, 08:16 AM) *

Thank you Stephen and Mark

Click to view attachment

And this is the current weather, just below freezing and snowing. I'm kinda digging the look without the rear valance (correct word?) I might leave it off for awhile to flaunt my pretty silencer.

Shame my 911 muffler is a bit ugly,might still remove mine after I blast and heatpaint my muffler,heard there is improved cooling without them,not sure if that's proven,I see pics of the GT's without them.
Mats what sort of rear body clearance do you have with the 7'' cookie cutters ?.
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 8 2017, 02:16 PM) *

Thank you Stephen and Mark. smile.gif

Today I started setting up a digital dash on the small tablet I bought last summer to use in the car. I will also use it for navigation and to hold my favorite Spotify playlists.
(please ignore the top right temp sensor saying pressure sensor, havnt found where to edit that text.

Had to try a shot from the rear with the interior garage lights off. Not sure I will have it up there. Working on a solution to have it sit below the dash instead.

Valance is correct. They were left off the factory 914-6 GT's.
falcor75
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2017, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 9 2017, 08:16 AM) *

Thank you Stephen and Mark

Shame my 911 muffler is a bit ugly,might still remove mine after I blast and heatpaint my muffler,heard there is improved cooling without them,not sure if that's proven,I see pics of the GT's without them.
Mats what sort of rear body clearance do you have with the 7'' cookie cutters ?.

On the drivers side rear its barely that I get one of my fingers (tiny fingers) between the tire and fender lip, on the passenger side I have a little more space so I can easily but my finger between the tire and lip.
Michel
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 1 2017, 05:20 PM) *

I see the Scart mufflers are made in France: are they available as one in

met Martin who owns SCART at last Phoenix club swap. He indicated he'd just set up a shop in LA somewhere .

This is s great build
914dave
Mats
The car looks great! I really like the narrow cars with the oil cooler opening. Can't really go wrong with the Martini livery. Nice job!
falcor75
3 confused24.gif
PanelBilly

On the drivers side rear its barely that I get one of my fingers (tiny fingers) between the tire and fender lip, on the passenger side I have a little more space so I can easily but my finger between the tire and lip.
[/quote]

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS BETWEEN THE TIRE AND BODY WHILE THE CAR IS IN MOTION!

Looks so nice. Wish I could see it in person
Cal
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 11 2017, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 02:35 AM) *

Very happy with the Scart muffler, the fit against the heater boxes was spot on, unlike the old Bursch snake pit that needed alot more effort to put in place.

Did you get the Scart Super Sound? Eventually I am getting one for my car. Can't wait to hear a video of it singing.

Brett

Yes I did.... biggrin.gif Will be awhile yet for any highrev singing as we still will have 3-4 months of winter to endure.....

I recently purchased a NOS banana muffler for my '74 2.0L but I'm seriously thinking of also getting the SCART SS muffler. Can you please post a video of the exhaust sound?
falcor75
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 16 2017, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 11 2017, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 11 2017, 02:35 AM) *

Very happy with the Scart muffler, the fit against the heater boxes was spot on, unlike the old Bursch snake pit that needed alot more effort to put in place.

Did you get the Scart Super Sound? Eventually I am getting one for my car. Can't wait to hear a video of it singing.

Brett

Yes I did.... biggrin.gif Will be awhile yet for any highrev singing as we still will have 3-4 months of winter to endure.....

I recently purchased a NOS banana muffler for my '74 2.0L but I'm seriously thinking of also getting the SCART SS muffler. Can you please post a video of the exhaust sound?

There are a few on the link below but its just idle and low revs. Dont have any driving videos yet....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5VYeigxJ2vFRlNJjAjvnVw

Oh and: 2 blink.gif
falcor75
Does anyone want to know what it sounds like when its run in anger?

smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGGdYYHBmTo

Anyone want to guess the engine hp?

2276, 10:1 compression, Web 86 b/c cam, 40 mmm ITB's and stock 2.0 heaterboxes.

Stiffmeister
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 19 2017, 09:15 AM) *

smile.gif

Sounds mean and crisp. Grattis beerchug.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(Stiffmeister @ Mar 19 2017, 07:27 PM) *

smile.gif

Sounds mean and crisp. Grattis beerchug.gif

Tack biggrin.gif
maf914

Mats, Just a guess, but with your fuel injection and stock heat exchangers, I'll say 140 hp, 145 ft-lb torque.
falcor75
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 19 2017, 11:00 PM) *

Mats, Just a guess, but with your fuel injection and stock heat exchangers, I'll say 140 hp, 145 ft-lb torque.

Thats a pretty good guess but it was a little bit more. smile.gif

IPB Image

158 hp and 158 ft lbs.

Head temps ran between 140-170 C the whole time so that should be ok too.
Dave_Darling
What is going on with that graph? I will happily buy your numbers (158 HP/158 lb-ft torque) but that graph is showing over 200 lb-ft and the torque doesn't cross the HP at 5250 RPM!

--DD
falcor75
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2017, 04:22 PM) *

What is going on with that graph? I will happily buy your numbers (158 HP/158 lb-ft torque) but that graph is showing over 200 lb-ft and the torque doesn't cross the HP at 5250 RPM!

--DD

The Torque is in Nm.....we damned metric europeans you know.... biggrin.gif

214 Nm = 158 ft lbs if my online converter is correct.
Dave_Darling
Ah, crap! I missed the units on the graph!

*hangs head in shame*

--DD
3d914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 19 2017, 10:15 AM) *

smile.gif

Sounds reeaally good. Nice job on a cool project.
maf914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 19 2017, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 19 2017, 11:00 PM) *

Thats a pretty good guess but it was a little bit more. smile.gif

158 hp and 158 ft lbs.

Head temps ran between 140-170 C the whole time so that should be ok too.

That is impressive. Very good. first.gif
raynekat
Mats....158x158. Perfect square numbers for a "boxer" engine. Should be a hoot to drive. Nice job!
pete-stevers
Great build thread!!! beerchug.gif
I hope mine are half as good when I get to them! happy11.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

48 hours of happiness was all I got. Noticed a leak under the car and figured it was the tuna can that had seeped a bit more oil after the dyno day. Smelled the oil....transmission oil.... barf.gif

Input shaft seal is leaking. AT least it seems to be replaceable without opening the transmission. Figures it would start leaking as I've already changed the gear selector shaft seal and have the double o-ringed speedo drive unit.

Oh well down in the garage after dinner. 1 hour and 32 minutes and the gearbox was out of the car..

Frankvw
Hi Mats, too bad a 2$ part (seal) caused this to your nice work, at least you got some wrench-time out of it ! :-)
Good luck with the fix !
falcor75
Ordered two new input shaft seals today. Is there a good DIY guide to pulling the old one and installing the new one somewhere? Prefered tools?
Frankvw
There are special picks to do the job, a bit like a hook that is jammed in the seal, and then is pulled out, of course this destroys the seal, but you will never re-use it anyway. I know some people scew in a screw and use that to pull on.
falcor75
Had a productive last week and weekend.

Gearbox is re-sealed, refilled with Swepco 201 and juggled back into the car. All the surrounding parts mounted and done. Tore down both front struts and changed them for 911 struts with the later ball joint version, got rid of the annoying passenger side balljoint wiggle that would have been a MoT failure. Re-bled the brakes all around.

Then I had one of those Surreal "omg am I really doing this" moments....I put the windshield wipers and sunvisors back in the car. I've had those parts laying around for so long..and now they're on the car.

I'm just an alignment away from being able to get my car road legal! w00t.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Drove the car legally on the road today for the first time since 2013.
(trips to and from repair shops are legal even if the inspection due date has expired)

Took it to an alignmentshop about 10 km's from where I live and I could tell on the way there that the front was very toe out.

Once there we started adjusting. Everything went ok except for one thing.
Drivers side rear cannot be adjusted to Toe in, currently it sits at 6 mm toe out, started at 9 mm toe out.

At the moment I'm not sure what is going on.... If its the control arm thats bent or
the outer mount itself thats somehow misaligned. icon8.gif
jd74914
Wow, 6mm toe out is a lot. Do you have turbo tie rods with the thick washer? It may be as easy as removing the washer.
falcor75
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 20 2017, 04:56 PM) *

Wow, 6mm toe out is a lot. Do you have turbo tie rods with the thick washer? It may be as easy as removing the washer.

Toe out is on the rear wheel, fronts are fine.
jd74914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 20 2017, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 20 2017, 04:56 PM) *

Toe out is on the rear wheel, fronts are fine.

Missed that. The rear not coming in really sucks.
falcor75
ITS ROADLEGAL !!!! biggrin.gif

After four years of restoration I can now legally drive my car on the road!!
Such a freaking fantastic feeling ! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Ok I still need to sort the rear alignment but nevertheless its now ok for two years forwards. The inspection guy told he was a bit dissapointed that the paint was flaking off on the heat exchangers since the rest of the car was so nice. rolleyes.gif Exhaust CO-value was borderline (4,5% legal limit and it measured 4,4-4,5) but he said he was confident I'd have that fixed untill next time.

Shadowfax
Awesome news! Car looks terrific. beerchug.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

Waiting for our turn....

IPB Image

Going for an elevator ride, checking suspension movement, wheel bearings, brakes, rust and everything else. All lights, had to adjust the passenger headlight a bit to get it correct.

IPB Image

Driving home again, the tablet displays my rpm, lambda value, CHT values, fuel trims and anything else I want to see from the ECU.

IPB Image

Took a litle break for some photos before we went home. Still got a silly grin on my face. biggrin.gif
LowBridge
wow... Loved keeping up with this build and it is a fantastic looking 914. Congrats on getting it "legal" for the road beerchug.gif

Now you just need to drive it like you stole it evilgrin.gif driving.gif
falcor75
Well the nice thing about the inspection is that I got a chance to take a few seconds movie of the car in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfxqOpWzvM...eature=youtu.be

I really like how the Cookies turned out..... wub.gif
Coondog
Congrats and thank you for the thread.
Camaro Mike
Congratulations! The cookies look great as does everything.

Yes, thanks for taking us along for the journey.
AZBanks
Congratulations. The whole car looks great. I hope you enjoy driving it as much as we enjoyed reading about it.
Spoke
beerchug.gif

Congrats. The car looks beautiful.
infraredcalvin
Nice work! Inspiring!
falcor75
IPB Image

Been dealing with the alignment issues for the last three weeks.
No matter how I elongated the mounting holes for the outer bracket I couldnt get toe in.
Weekend two weeks ago I snapped and demounted both rear trailing arms, putting them side to side revealed the left one being 5 mm longer from the pivot axis to driveshaft center. Found the culprit!

IPB Image

Ordered a used trailing arm from Germany, got it friday last week. Tore it apart after work and then drove to my blaster/powdercoat guy an hour away the same evening and got it painted and pretty. Managed to get my spare hub machined for 5 bolts for to use longer studs Got that fixed early this week and tuesday and wednesday I got the suspension back on again.

Today thursday I had booked an alignment, This time I had 4 degrees of toe IN on the rear left wheel. Sucess!! We adjusted it out to 1 mm toe in and that was that.
After lunch today I went for the first extended drive around 80 miles or so.

IPB Image

Once home i celebrated by putting on some new parts I had laying waiting.
*Tarret front drop links to the swaybar went on.
*New targa latch cups in the rear trunk
*Gas dampers for the rear trunk lid
*Spokes front led position/indicator boards
*BBS Mesh copies with new Nokia tires. (long distance driving wheels)

Feeling all set for this saturdays upcoming 500 mile roadtrip. smile.gif
raynekat
Well done Mats.
I'll bet you're happy to have this alignment issue behind you finally.
Just the wide open roads to enjoy your car now.
Looking good.
PlaysWithCars
Congratulations. Sounds like you have a fun weekend trip planned.

I can't help but scratch my head though. How does a trailing arm become 5mm too long or too short? Was it bent from some prior incident? confused24.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 12 2017, 05:03 AM) *

Congratulations. Sounds like you have a fun weekend trip planned.

I can't help but scratch my head though. How does a trailing arm become 5mm too long or too short? Was it bent from some prior incident? confused24.gif

I'm guessing a previous owner lost a round of "lets jump that curb" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.