Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martini 914 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
falcor75
IPB Image

Some trial assembly today. biggrin.gif
Bulldog9
If you used JB weld or other such metal epoxy, heating evenly with a torch should melt the epoxy & allow to be pulled off. Check with Elephant though. I used the Rebel Racing Bushings, and this is what they recommend. I didn't have to remove mine, but the instructions that came with the bushings gave this advice.

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 10 2014, 02:22 PM) *

This weekend was 2 steps forwards and then 1½ backwards... headbang.gif

Glued the races for the front A-arm bushings on the A-arms on friday in preparation for
mounting the front suspension on saturday. Got the parts back from surface treatment
early saturday and proceded to mount the ball joints on the Aarms. Left went fine....right went....wtf is this!

Click to view attachment

Aaaah of course, another trace of the hit to the front right corner that some PO never fixed correctly. Getting another A-arm is managable, will cost me about $150 to get one and get it mediablasted and powdercoated. Sadly tho the bearing races are stuck to the old one and not coming off. I've emailed Elephant racing hoping to purchase a pair of loose races.

Annoyed with this I started on the rear suspension arms instead, drilled
and tapped the holes for the grease nipples, and my M6 thread tap broke off in the last hole.... I left Mr Murphy in the garage and called it a day at that point... dry.gif

falcor75
IPB Image

Got the last painted parts home today. piratenanner.gif
trojanhorsepower
Looks great!
falcor75
IPB Image

Anyone that can spot something missing in this picture... headbang.gif

zambezi
-6 engine mount
falcor75
I was more thinking of the missing fuel line hole... oh well I'll just drill a new one.
cary
I was thinking it was the clutch tube hole.
falcor75
IPB Image

Been some work done the last weeks and I made a Christmas special catchup post on my website so I'll just post a link to that since I'm to lazy to rewrite it all again.

http://matsgarage.com/?p=511

Merry Christmas and a happy new 2015 to you all. drunk.gif
SixerJ
How did I miss this thread? Subscribed & nice work
maf914
Yes, great thread, and I missed it as well. Great work, Mats, and best of luck with your car. Merry Christmas!
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Happy new year!

Though I'm six months behind my original schedule it still feels pretty awsome having gotten this far.

beerchug.gif
thieuster
Just found this thread (coming from the carpet thread). What a great job!

Menno
falcor75
Thanks! smile.gif welder.gif
falcor75
Watched PMB's video on rear caliper overhaul and proceded to take mine apart, turns out they must have been overhauled at some time during the cars lifespan.

Pistons were like new underneath the torn dust caps. Seal surfaces between the halfs were still nicely gold coloured. I'll replace the piston seals and dustcaps and reassemble and paint them black with some high temp paint.

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Nice work! piratenanner.gif

John
falcor75
IPB Image

Got the last pieces for the pressure side of the fuel pump.

IPB Image

First piece of carpet installet. I chose to mount them with doublesided foam tape instead of glueing them in place.

IPB Image

Starting to look ok. But the red handle for the rear heater fan will probably need to be replaced for a new one.

IPB Image

OCD means changing bolts that look alittle sad for new ones despite that noone will ever see them.

IPB Image

Spent a few hours today with putting the rear calipers back together. Again, PMB's video made it alot easier.
mepstein
You can sand and buff that red knob and make it look like new.
raynekat
Falcor:

Hey....can you hurry and finish this project?
I've got an ivory white 914 that I'm working on as well.
Trying to get some ideas from your work.
smile.gif
Ha....just kidding.
Looks great and keep up the good work.
And keep warm up there in Sweden during your winter.
falcor75
IPB Image

Is it just me or shouldnt the cone on the clutch cable face towards the firewall pipe?
BIGKAT_83
Nice job on the fuel pump mount. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Click to view attachment
falcor75
IPB Image

Rear brakes and hardlines mounted

IPB Image

Engine decklid painted (the black pieces) and mesh grille installed with new rubber lining.

IPB Image

Lower and upper front targa seal installed.

IPB Image

Glued the top vinyl in aswell.
falcor75
I'm starting to get close to the point to start dismantling the tins from the engine and fix it up cosmetically. (I will not be splitting the case or removing the heads etc)

I want to hang the engine from my engine stand but I dont have the yoke, I've seen some hang it up anyway while others say not to do it without the yoke.... Paying €300 for a yoke I'll use once isnt in my budget at the moment...

What's the wisdom of the forum?
mgp4591
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2015, 04:00 PM) *

That's what SHE said... w00t.gif

Sorry... it's late in my work day and I'm more than ready to go home slap.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 23 2015, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2015, 04:00 PM) *

That's what SHE said... w00t.gif

Sorry... it's late in my work day and I'm more than ready to go home slap.gif

LOL!
Thanks for the laugh... lol-2.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

Got my dash back from the upholsterer....sooo smooth!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Closeup, he had to lay one seam to either side of the bulge and one across the top but it turned out great. He also did the lower piece but I didnt get any pics of that.

IPB Image

Also got my fresh air box back together. Used some 15x5 mm straight foam cell adhesive strips to seal the motor against the housing and the rest of the seals are from 914Rubber's airbox rebuild kit. Not sure why I cant get the box to clean up, annoying with one half looking ok and the other half looking dirty.

Now I'm just waiting for my electrical harness to be finished being refurbished by Kroon Wire Harnesses. They have replaced all the crimped on connectors and exchanged some damaged wires. If you need help with your wiring harness I recommend them warmly. Kroon Wire Harnesses
I love that dash! Nice.
falcor75
IPB Image

Doors have been added, panel gaps are ok on the passenger side and slightly off on the drivers side, will just have to live with that or get a less molested driver side door.

IPB Image

And I can reveal a bit about how the car will be decorated later on... blink.gif

IPB Image

More parts back from powdercoat, the pile on the right failed pre paint inspection and needs some attention

IPB Image

...there were cracks....

IPB Image

Trying to align the hood, the new front bulkhead seal seems to be too tall for the
GRP hood as it make the middle of it bulge up out of alignment.... sad.gif

IPB Image

The blackstriped electrical snake...

IPB Image

New fuse panel (yes it was painted black before it was installed)

IPB Image

Airbox went back in after the harness slithered into place.

IPB Image

Along with the flapper valves and hoses.

IPB Image

Cables everywhere...

IPB Image

Slowly coming together, the plastic face on my left gauge has a defect in it, needs to be sorted at a later date.

IPB Image

And on sunday I tried to release the magical smoke, I failed. biggrin.gif
Still working on installing all the electrical stuff back into the car but it felt like a major
step to have the lights light up again.
Cairo94507
Your car is coming along very nicely. Keep posting pictures please. first.gif
CptTripps
Dash and face look amazing. You're going to love that....and hate it when any dust gets on it. Alcantara is a bitch to keep clean.

....but I'm doing the same thing in mine, so who am I to judge!
francar
great thread. Very nice work clap56.gif
falcor75
Since last update lots of small stuff has been completed.

IPB Image

New fuel pump wiring installed.

IPB Image

Rear glass and seat belts rollers installed.

IPB Image

Fuel system completed up to the Engine bay.

IPB Image

Engine bay rubbers installed, teedious!

IPB Image

Front end starting to look complete. The new seal for the bulkhead is a Little to tall for my lightweight hood, not sure what to do about that just now...

IPB Image

I've also been on a Swedish 914 meet, in total 6 914's where 4 was drivable and two under restoration. This one is a factory GT!

IPB Image

The drivers...totally worth driving 4 hours one way to see these cars in the flesh. wub.gif

falcor75
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Trying some different layouts of my decals. drooley.gif
turk22
I like the bottom one!

beerchug.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(turk22 @ May 26 2015, 08:43 PM) *

I like the bottom one!

beerchug.gif

I second it
jkb944t
Bottom one looks best to me too!

You are making some great progress, really enjoying this thread. I really like white on a 914!

Jeff B
r_towle
Mats,

How far are you local 914 experts from the 914/6 located in southern Sweden, near the border....seems southwest of Stockholm?

Any local guys who might want to go take a look at it for the community and post your findings?

There is a thread on the main page here regarding a 914/6 sportomatic for sale....its that car.

rich
falcor75
Thats about 4 hours one way from me but very close for the host of the 914 meet I posted from above. Ill make contact with them and ask them to look at the sportomatic thread.
thieuster
QUOTE(turk22 @ May 26 2015, 10:43 PM) *

I like the bottom one!

beerchug.gif

Yeah, but with the MARTINI text facing (= readable) towards the RH side of the car!

Menno
r_towle
QUOTE(falcor75 @ May 27 2015, 11:56 AM) *

Thats about 4 hours one way from me but very close for the host of the 914 meet I posted from above. Ill make contact with them and ask them to look at the sportomatic thread.

thank you

rich
pete000
Love the dash, how did they do that?
falcor75
I'm not quite sure how he did it but I've dashed the lines where there are seams done and the continus line there we filled the cavity with a high density foam and stretched the fabric over the foam to produce a smooth surface.

Click to view attachment
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Yesterday I had some help to start laying down the stripes....

Click to view attachment

This was as far as we got yesterday...

falcor75
Click to view attachment

And todays work. smile.gif
Mikey914
Looking real good. I love the look of fresh rubber amd interior parts on fresh paint!
falcor75
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 1 2015, 12:02 AM) *

Looking real good. I love the look of fresh rubber amd interior parts on fresh paint!

Thanks Mikey, and thank you for what you're doing for all of the 914 Community! pray.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(thieuster @ May 27 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(turk22 @ May 26 2015, 10:43 PM) *

I like the bottom one!

beerchug.gif

Yeah, but with the MARTINI text facing (= readable) towards the RH side of the car!

Menno

agree.gif agree.gif
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Got a package in the mail with some long awaited parts.... blink.gif screwy.gif
thieuster
Nice! But what's with the other edges of the cams? It looks as if they are not smooth! Or am I wrong?

Menno
falcor75
There's some minor burrs from the lasercutting, I'll smooth that down before I do the final assembly...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.