Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to club/ Need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914socal
Hello all,

I am a new member so take it easy on me!

I just pulled this car out of a garage about a month ago. This is an original 1973 2.0L 914. The Vin number matches, color code and engine number as well. I just bought this off the second owner who hasn't driven it since 1986 where it sat in his garage untouched.
I towed it home put on some tires, some new shocks,battery, fresh gas and checked the oil. I drove it to work the next day and put 70 miles on it. Everything works on the car and i am enjoying every second i get to drive her. I live in southern California and looking for a good mechanic to go through the motor a little better after sitting for so long.

Oh ya, I have to say this car has been a true Southern California (OG) garage queen, when I say no rust there is no rust and this including rockers and hell hole!! aktion035.gif

Please help and can't wait to be a member of this community.
Kirmizi
welcome.png
You live in southern Cal, I think you could find a bunch of local "good mechanics" for the price of some beer and barbeque
Steve
welcome.png
Nice find!! First thing is the fuel lines. If you still have the plastic fuel lines get rid of them. Fuel fires are the worst with these cars. Next is the brakes.
Buy a Haynes a manual and enjoy!! They are great cars!!
914socal
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 2 2013, 07:44 PM) *

welcome.png
You live in southern Cal, I think you could find a bunch of local "good mechanics" for the price of some beer and barbeque

I hope beer and BBQ will do it!
914socal
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 2 2013, 07:45 PM) *

welcome.png
Nice find!! First thing is the fuel lines. If you still have the plastic fuel lines get rid of them. Fuel fires are the worst with these cars. Next is the brakes.

I understand on brakes, good to know on fuel lines and that will be on the top of the list. Thanks
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

Nice score but you have to do something about that blue eye shadow... poke.gif
cary
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 2 2013, 08:47 PM) *

welcome.png

have to do something about that blue eye shadow... poke.gif

I was thinking the same thing ...............cute
914socal
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 2 2013, 08:47 PM) *

welcome.png

Nice score but you have to do something about that blue eye shadow... poke.gif

LOL, agree.gif
Steve
QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 08:32 PM) *

welcome.png

I understand on brakes, good to know on fuel lines and that will be on the top of the list. Thanks

Here's a link to the recommended metal fuel lines. i would also check every fuel line under the tank and on the motor.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158
driving.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 08:39 PM) *

......... I towed it home put on some tires, some new shocks,battery, fresh gas and checked the oil.

Checked the oil or changed the oil? If it's still 1986 oil, might want to change that smile.gif .

Oh yea, ... welcome.png
billh1963
First....congratulation on the nice score! Looks like an appearance group car.
Why can't I ever find one like that?

Second....you must like living dangerously. Assuming that your post describes everything you did to the car the old oil has broken down, rubber lines are probably rotten, fuels lines and injector seals are ready to turn your car into a rolling BBQ, etc. you get the picture.

Take some time to change those items for your safety and post some more pictures!
carr914
QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 11:31 PM) *

welcome.png

Beer works good around here! beerchug.gif

welcome.png

Here's an easy fix for the Blue Eyeshadow

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness. Get your checkbook ready!

Change those old fuel hoses now. Make sure they are rated for fuel injection. You don't want this to happen to you.
ripper911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 3 2013, 08:04 AM) *

welcome.png

welcome.png

agree.gif easier than trying to match the rest of the old paint.

Mine is a little different, same concept. But not exactly factory correct.
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Check around for the "good" body shop(s) in your area. Any one of them can match the paint. Job done "right".
SLITS
Most any Sunday, you are invited to Slits' Asshole Garage, Riverside, CA., home of the ham-fisted, backyard, shade-tree mechanics. Saturdays by appointment!

Our motto ... "It may be running now, but just wait till we get our hands on it!"

Cocktails as early as 9 AM.

I hope this post has inspired a high level of confidence in our abilities. We have all the necessary tools, BFH, soft wire, duct tape, JBWeld, pliers and pipe wrench.

Also home of the biannual G&R All 914 Rusty Parts Swap Meet and Animal Flesh Roasting Festival. Look for the 24th reincarnation of this momentous event sometime in late April.

We are PCA approved as if we care.

Join the rest of the NARP Porcupines for our annual Route 66 run April 5 -7th. Our motto is, "We party in obscure parking lots". Powered by Cassadores Tequila.

first.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 3 2013, 08:05 AM) *

Most any Sunday, you are invited to Slits' Asshole Garage, Riverside, CA., home of the ham-fisted, backyard, shade-tree mechanics. Saturdays by appointment!

Our motto ... "It may be running now, but just wait till we get our hands on it!"

I hope this post has inspired a high level of confidence in our abilities. We have all the necessary tools, BFH, soft wire, duct tape, JBWeld, pliers and pipe wrench.

Also home of the biannual G&R All 914 Rusty Parts Swap Meet and Animal Flesh Roasting Festival. Look for the 24th reincarnation of this momentous event sometime in late April.

Join the rest of the NARP Porcupines for our annual Route 66 run April 5 -7th. Our motto is, "We party in obscure parking lots". Powered by Cassadores Tequila.

first.gif

9AM??? What happened to drinking all night? Man you're getting old... beer.gif
oldschool

first.gif

Ron I did not know that you work on Sundays there.
carr914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 3 2013, 11:05 AM) *

first.gif

Make sure you have your Chastity Belt on - these guys like Brokeback Style sheeplove.gif laugh.gif
turk22
welcome.png

Car looks great, amazing find! Love to see those 73 2.0's...

QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 10:39 PM) *

Hello all,

I am a new member so take it easy on me!

I just pulled this car out of a garage about a month ago. This is an original 1973 2.0L 914. The Vin number matches, color code and engine number as well. I just bought this off the second owner who hasn't driven it since 1986 where it sat in his garage untouched.
I towed it home put on some tires, some new shocks,battery, fresh gas and checked the oil. I drove it to work the next day and put 70 miles on it. Everything works on the car and i am enjoying every second i get to drive her. I live in southern California and looking for a good mechanic to go through the motor a little better after sitting for so long.

Oh ya, I have to say this car has been a true Southern California (OG) garage queen, when I say no rust there is no rust and this including rockers and hell hole!! aktion035.gif

Please help and can't wait to be a member of this community.

Rusty
Welcome! Congrats on the find!
914socal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 3 2013, 05:04 AM) *

welcome.png

welcome.png

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not a bad idea. I can do a wrap on it until I paint the blue eyeshadow!
914socal
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 2 2013, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 08:32 PM) *

welcome.png

Here's a link to the recommended metal fuel lines. i would also check every fuel line under the tank and on the motor.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158
driving.gif

Thanks for the link.
914socal
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 3 2013, 02:10 AM) *

QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 2 2013, 08:39 PM) *

......... I towed it home put on some tires, some new shocks,battery, fresh gas and checked the oil.

Checked the oil or changed the oil? If it's still 1986 oil, might want to change that smile.gif .

Oh yea, ... welcome.png

Yes, I did do that when flushed the radiator! I didn't mention I did a basic tune up. She does need a little more attention, time is just an issue so I want to try and find mechanic who you all trust..
SLITS
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 3 2013, 10:17 AM) *

first.gif

Ron I did not know that you work on Sundays there.

Jamie,

That's the day that Glenn, Jim and I work on various projects. You are always invited to show up. And I have not forgotten about your engine. Just waiting for time and space (finishing Glenn's 3.0 conversion someday).

Ron
carr914
QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 4 2013, 12:10 AM) *

Yes, I did do that when flushed the radiator!

What?
Rusty
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 4 2013, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(914socal @ Feb 4 2013, 12:10 AM) *

Yes, I did do that when flushed the radiator!

What?

blink.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.