Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1973 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
'73-914kid
I keep flip flopping on selling my 914..and now it's becomming more evident that it's time for a change.. Off to 911 territory I believe.

So, For sale, 1973 914-4

This car started out from the factory as a base model black 1.7 in 1973. It was repainted at one point in yellow.

Engine:
-2143 cc type 4, recently rebuilt. I have put probably 16,000 miles on the engine since I built it, and 220 hours or so. It has run flawlessly the whole time. Most of these miles were freeway miles.
- 96mm AApistons and cylinders
- rebuilt and ported heads with stainless valves and chromoly retainers.
- 74mm crankshaft
- Schneider solid cam, new FEBI lifters, Chromoly pushrods, 911 adjuster, whole shebang.
- 40 IDF webers with Tangerine racing cable linkage. The carbs were recently jetted to be perfect, both in synch, and jetting.
- MSD-6AL and mallory unilite distributor.
- Kerry hunter header, and magnaflow muffler. Sounds awesome on the road.

Engine bay:
-Every surface was cleaned and painted satin black
-Custom engine bay sound pad was made. (Picture to come later of it installed)
- All wiring clean and spiral wrapped. Everything looks professional and proper.
-Stainless braided fuel lines/ -6 AN fittings throughout

The motor is extremely healthy, leaks no oil, and gets about 28mpg on the freeway. Oil changes were done with Brad Penn every 3,000 miles, and valves are done at 8,000 miles religiously.

Gearbox:
-Rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago using 3 new synchros and dog teeth, and 2 good used synchros and dogteeth.
- All bearings were checked for freeplay, and replaced as necessary
- Completely leak free
- All shift bushings were replaced with custom delrin bushings. This is one of the best shifting side shift 901's I've ever driven.
- Brand new Sachs clutch kit installed when gearbox was rebuilt.
-Brand new CV joints.
- Custom short throw shifter.

Brakes:
- 911 front struts with Volvo 240 series 4 piston calipers, with custom Coleman rotors and hub adapters. These things STOP fast.
*note, the picture of the brakes shows the 911 setup, I have since replaced everything with the volvo setup.
- Rebuilt 914 calipers on the rear, new pads and rotors
- new ATE 19mm MC
- New stainless lines all around
system has been completely flushed using ATE super blue.
The pedal feel and braking capacity is almost perfect for my taste, as well as many others who have driven the car

Suspension:
-Bilstein HD strusts/ shocks all around
- 200 LB rear springs, 22 MM front torsion bars
- 23 MM front sway bar, custom adjustable down links
-Elephant racing polybronze front bushings, custom fit Delrin rear bushings. Now squeak, and greasable.
- Lemforder turbo tie rods, and new ball joints

Interior:
- Rebuilt pedal cluster
- 914 AP carpet kit, along with the carpet on the firewall.
- FatMat installed throughout the car for sound deadening.
- Stock seats, but I also have corbeau forza's and race harnesses that will go with the car.
- Roll bar/ door bar setup. Custom fabbed. Acts as a harness bar and long stiffener.
- Custom center console with speakers, and CHT, oil temp/pressure gauge in the face.
- Custom gauges by Al Garcia, along with an Autometer monster tach. Incredibly accurate and smooth.
-Clutch tube was repaired and re-welded in.
- new clutch cable and throttle cable.
-All seals replaced on the Targa top, window, door, seals. Car does not leak at all when washed.
- Dash has been recovered in a high quality thick felt similar to that used on a 917, and the upper dash has been recovered in foam and vinyl.
- electric windshield washer pump/nozzles added
- manual Hirshmann antenna. great reception.

*note, the prototipo will not be included with the car. The car will be sold with a stock 914 wheel.

Wheels:
-Brand new VTO 15x7 minilites. These are almost an identical offset to cookie cutters, but a little farther offset. They look sweet IMO. again, these are brand new wheels..

Exterior/ Body:
This is the only let down on the entire car.
- The fenders were pulled by the previous owner, and the rear fenders were cut/ welded and spliced in to get more width. They are subtle, but look nice
- There is ZERO structural rust on the entire car.
There are a few places where the paint has bubbled, and surface rust has formed. I would say that the car needs a full respray, but other than that, the body is very straight. No sag anywhere.
- 914 AP front LE valance. Looks great on the car.
- Pilot foglights

This car has been my baby, and I regret to even having the thought to sell it at this point..but I can always get another 914 I suppose. Please keep in mind that I do not HAVE to sell the car; I am entertaining offers for it though.

I'm looking to see $13,500 for the car at this time. I may consider offers, but right now I'm firm at that price.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

There is a lot more to list on the car, but that's all I've got in me right now. Literally every nut and bolt has been turned on the car. If anyone has a question, or would like more photos, please dont hesitate to ask.

I have autocross the car 4 times, and it would make an excellent weekend/ autocrosser. It handled exceptionally, and had plenty of power. It would also make an excellent daily driver if you didn't have very far to go. Even with the webers, it starts up every time, first try.

Thanks for looking, Ethan
'73-914kid
Here's a video of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q4mgF60nyA
Thestigz06
Aw c'mon Ethan!!! Sorry to hear buddy. To all that are interested, bump for a super sport and well sorted out 914
oldschool
first.gif That is a very nice running car, I have driven this car and all I can say is.....well worth it...good luck kid.
'73-914kid
I took some more pictures showing the trunk, engine bay, and front trunk:
It also shows my modified rain tray. This allows me to run the taller intakes along with the rain tray to protect everything. Perfect for a DD.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
KaptKaos
Sounds like a great car. Here's a icon_bump.gif for your car.

I realize that this is unsolicited advice, and I sincerely hope you'll take it in the manner which it is given with the best intentions.

You're a bright kid with a good future. If you listen to the older guys here, you'll always hear stories of regret about the car that they shouldn't have sold. Happens to everyone. I hope that you understand how much you'll miss this car.

If the commuting is really that bad, if I were you, I'd buy a cheap daily and keep this one for fun. A cheap toyota, honda, vw or something plain jane that gets good mpg. Something you can run into the ground and not care about.

I worry that you have too much of yourself in this car, and that you may realize that too late.

Regardless of how you proceed, I wish you the best.
oldschool
agree.gif I sold cars I hope I still had. headbang.gif
'73-914kid
Thanks for all the kind words guys.. I have decided to keep the car and make it as quiet as possible as is.. OEM muffler will be going on, and I'm going to make an intake silencer..

BTW, if anyone has an OEM banana muffler they want to get rid of..let me know
KaptKaos
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 5 2013, 04:13 PM) *

Thanks for all the kind words guys.. I have decided to keep the car and make it as quiet as possible as is.. OEM muffler will be going on, and I'm going to make an intake silencer..

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Great news! You're too young to be bothered too much by the NVH of these little cars. Enjoy!
IGTARD
$ 10 K cash welcome.png
rhodyguy
my thought was "what the hell is he thinking about?". all of the hard and expensive work is done. the boxster you want will be much cheaper in 2 years. that damn bus. i was hoping to hear the webers open up in 3rd. looking forward to the 'quiet' setup for the webers.

k
oldschool
G icon_bump.gif reat news.....
hot_shoe914
Glad you decided to keep it. The 914 is more comfortable than a Boxster and gets better gas milage too. Ask me how I know. If you decide to put it back on the market let me know, I have an early"2000" Boxster that I would trade and possibly throw in a rusty 914 with a fresh 2056.
euro911
Glad to hear you decided to keep it, Ethan aktion035.gif

I'm one of those 'old guys' that has 20/20 hind sight ... there have been many cars that I wished I had kept.
carr914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 5 2013, 07:13 PM) *

beerchug.gif
'73-914kid
Thanks for all the kind words guys, i really appreciate it.

Regrettably however, the car is back up on the market. A family friend offered me his 1968 911 for a reasonable price, so the 914 is back up for sale to fund it.

Updates since i posted the add:

Fresh oil change with 200 miles on it
Stainless steel magnaflow muffler installed on the header combo in place of the flowmaster
Velocity stacks added, and carbs retuned for a perfect AFR. Mpg increased to around 34.

-Ethan
'73-914kid
Here are some more pictures I took today. please excuse the snow...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

And a few others I found from a while back:

IPB Image
IPB Image
'73-914kid
Pre-Weekend bump. May consider reasonable offers...
billh1963
I recognize that silver car!

Free bump!
IGTARD
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 5 2013, 04:13 PM) *

If you change your mind again let me know. welcome.png
'73-914kid
Bump-

Car is for sale again unfortunately. Looking at buying a 911, so I need the cash.
'73-914kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-uonfgYvJg

Here's a more recent video that gives a better representation of the sound.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2013, 01:21 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-uonfgYvJg

Here's a more recent video that gives a better representation of the sound.

They let you guys run without helmets? Interesting.
'73-914kid
It was a "demo" at the California Festival of Speed. It ended up being something where people came out and messed around..a lot.... They didn't require a helmet as it was a "taste of the autocross" I ended up throwing a helmet on after this video.
budman5201
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2013, 08:54 PM) *

It was a "demo" at the California Festival of Speed. It ended up being something where people came out and messed around..a lot.... They didn't require a helmet as it was a "taste of the autocross" I ended up throwing a helmet on after this video.

Still have your car for sale?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.