Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: auto trans axle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
I said it was a stupid question. I have not seen a 944 auto transaxle. Would it be possible to put one in a 914 and bolt up a motor? An old mechanic said it would work.

Bernie confused24.gif
Red-Beard
Old as in having senile dementia?

The 944 was a front mounted engine with a transmission behind the engine and a differential in the rear of the car.

No, it will not fit.
Mueller
Are you sure?, i really thought the 944 used a transaxle similar to the 928.
(motor in front with a torque tube connecting the two, the driveshaft was inside the torque tube)
I've never seen the bell housing, but I'd say that it's possible they used the same pattern as an Audi and I know adapter plates are available for those.
bernbomb914
he said they were transaxles

Bernie
Red-Beard
Ok - for once I'll admit ignorance - and call it a night.

J tongue.gif
Mike9142.0
The 944 auto is in the back. The bigest problem that I see is that the starter is mounted on the torque tube up front. The trans has no place for the starter to mount.
Lawrence
You could always attempt a Sporto conversion... ;-)
Drums66
If you really and truly want to do that? I've heard some Mechanic's say find a 411 vw or 412 with an auto trans, it should bolt right up! wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 16 2003, 09:55 PM)
Are you sure?, i really thought the 944 used a transaxle similar to the 928.
(motor in front with a torque tube connecting the two, the driveshaft was inside the torque tube)
I've never seen the bell housing, but I'd say that it's possible they used the same pattern as an Audi and I know adapter plates are available for those.

i too thought that for better handling/weight distrobution, the trans was out in the back
bernbomb914
I was told you cant flip the ring gear. no space in the housing.

Bernie
Aaron Cox
why would one want a 944 trans anyway? why not a 915 flipped? or a 915 w/ flipped ring gear etc.....why not a 930?
Aaron Cox
also...just out of sheer curiosity....what trans did a 917 have? and a 908 or 910 or a 904? what did these cars have...midengined right?
bernbomb914
We were talking about an automatic trans. The bugs use type 3 autos for drags up to 500hp very strong.

Bernie
Aaron Cox
sorry, my bad----- auto trans
Mike T
I have seen a 914 with an Audi 5000 automatic transmission in it. It also had a Supercharged 2.0 engine. It was an SCCA autocross car. Ran E-Modified. It was also at least 10 yrs ago. Don't know any other details.

Guys name was William Crescenzo from Kansas City MO.

I bet Kennedy Engineered Products would make an adapter for it if they don't already. I know they make a Chevy V8 to Audi transaxle adapter already.

Mike T
dan10101
Just so its solid, the 944's do have a rear trani, very simular to ours. My dad mistakes my spare trani for his, from time to time.. I would think that it might be possible to do a conversion, but the 915 trani makes more sense.

Ok, this is andrew saying this, not dan... stupid computer swaping
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.