Full Version: Bruce Weiner microcar auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markyb
http://www.handlewithfun.com/over-view.cfm

43K original miles on a Malaga red '76, some other nice microcars
SUNAB914
Bill, has been looking for a 76.
JawjaPorsche
Here is the car. Estimate: $25,000-$35,000 US !!!!!! $150 to bid!

http://www.handlewithfun.com/lot-details.c...p;category=cars
Mark Henry
$150 bidders fee rolleyes.gif

Nice car if it is what they say it is, but no where near $25k-$35K price estimate...Oh and don't forget the 15% commision tacked on top of the winning bid.

It includes its original and correct factory options, including the Blaupunkt AM/FM radio; the Performance Group, which includes the Fuchs forged alloy wheels; and the Appearance Group, which includes various leather accoutrements.
[quote]

Radio is dealer added, not factory.
There is no real leather in a 914...I guess maybe they mean the shifter boot. biggrin.gif

Is a '76 2.0 only 84hp?
I also wonder when it ran last?
JawjaPorsche
The 2.0L option that was produced from 1973 through 1976 put out 91hp. Is this a California car, I know the hp was less.
tod914
95 hp 73-54 2.0. 88 hp for 75-76. Those lower numbers came up on a few advs. Wonder where they are getting them from. That car looks amazing.
Chris H.
Tod,

Plaid seats....you don't think that's...."The Car" do you? You know what I'm talking about... biggrin.gif .

BTW the lower HP numbers are due to the more restrictive exhaust system I believe...
tod914
Excellent point Chris. That may very well be. Wasn't that 25,000 miles or so at the time? Just found emails from Bob DiLeonardi on that car Chris. Dating back to March of 2001. Joe wanted $12,500 at the time. That was top dollar back then. That label on the air cleaner looks familair. Can't seem to place it though. I still have my plane ticket sitting in a drawer. lol At least you got to see it. Any chance you have any photos of it?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 10:14 AM) *

95 hp 73-54 2.0. 88 hp for 75-76.

Those are the factory spec, DIN HP.

The 73-74 2.0s made (I think) 91 HP SAE Net. I don't remember what the 75-76 2.0s made under SAE measurement.

--DD
tod914
Thanks for the clarification Dave. Was wondering about that.
Chris H.
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 12:53 PM) *

Excellent point Chris. That may very well be. Wasn't that 25,000 miles or so at the time? I can't recall that guys name. I no longer have any photos or correspondce from him. That label on the air cleaner looks familair. Can't seem to place it though. I still have my plane ticket sitting in a drawer. lol At least you got to see it.

So in case anyone doesn't know...Tod likes REALLY NICE 914's. There was a Malaga Red '76 that was in Chicago for several years in the early 2000's. It had 28k on it and looked EXACTLY like this car. At that time it was LIKE NEW. Plaid seats were identical. The owner at the time (not the current owner) was a little flaky to say the least...Tod was going to buy the car and it was sold out from under him AFTER he bought a plane ticket to fly in. I had a similar experience...it was for sale again, I called about it, it was sold...then it was for sale again...I gave up.

Anyway nothing against the car or the current owner...or anyone really.... This had to be 8-10 years ago. Just an interesting "learning experience"...

In fact if it's the same car in the same condition it might fetch $$$within the price range expected by the auction.
euro911
Looking at some of the other items they're auctioning, found this in the 'Lots' section

Click to view attachment

When I was 12, we stuck a Honda tank like this on a Schwinn Stingray bike that we stuffed a West Bend 5.5 HP motor in. It didn't toast bread, but it hauled ass shades.gif
markyb
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 4 2013, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 12:53 PM) *

Excellent point Chris. That may very well be. Wasn't that 25,000 miles or so at the time? I can't recall that guys name. I no longer have any photos or correspondce from him. That label on the air cleaner looks familair. Can't seem to place it though. I still have my plane ticket sitting in a drawer. lol At least you got to see it.

So in case anyone doesn't know...Tod likes REALLY NICE 914's. There was a Malaga Red '76 that was in Chicago for several years in the early 2000's. It had 28k on it and looked EXACTLY like this car. At that time it was LIKE NEW. Plaid seats were identical. The owner at the time (not the current owner) was a little flaky to say the least...Tod was going to buy the car and it was sold out from under him AFTER he bought a plane ticket to fly in. I had a similar experience...it was for sale again, I called about it, it was sold...then it was for sale again...I gave up.

Anyway nothing against the car or the current owner...or anyone really.... This had to be 8-10 years ago. Just an interesting "learning experience"...

In fact if it's the same car in the same condition it might fetch $$$within the price range expected by the auction.

Looks like a repaint maybe? It appears to have clearcoat, if not, that is some fine original paint. Weiner owns/owned the company that made Double Bubble, looks like a nice profit margin in bubble gum that helped him collect all of these.

Video from Fox News regarding the auction and museum:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2130005583001/w...n-of-microcars/

I hope it sells high, I own a '75 with A/C, red, plaid seats, luggage rack, clean like this one except some dings in the body (soon to be fixed with paintless dent removal)
rgalla9146
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 10:53 AM) *

Excellent point Chris. That may very well be. Wasn't that 25,000 miles or so at the time? Just found emails from Bob DiLeonardi on that car Chris. Dating back to March of 2001. Joe wanted $12,500 at the time. That was top dollar back then. That label on the air cleaner looks familair. Can't seem to place it though. I still have my plane ticket sitting in a drawer. lol At least you got to see it. Any chance you have any photos of it?

That engine appears very complete and original except for the ignition wires.
I'll bet the reduced HP is due to air injection parasitic loss and emissions detuning.
Nice looking car. California version ? dunno... I saw all that extra plummin' on cars in NJ way back.
BIGKAT_83
Thats 20 miles from my home.

Bob
JawjaPorsche
Also Georgia has a new one-time-only, 7 percent tax up front, based on the vehicle's fair market value. Sounds like you could have bought a nice 6 after paying all the add ons.

I see where this 76 cost over $8200 new. My 73 cost just over $5000 new. In three years, the price went up 60%! No wonder they had a hard time selling them.

[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Feb 4 2013, 12:39 PM' post='1814813']
$150 bidders fee rolleyes.gif

Nice car if it is what they say it is, but no where near $25k-$35K price estimate...Oh and don't forget the 15% commision tacked on top of the winning bid.

[quote] It includes its original and correct factory options, including the Blaupunkt AM/FM radio; the Performance Group, which includes the Fuchs forged alloy wheels; and the Appearance Group, which includes various leather accoutrements.
[/quote][quote]

Radio is dealer added, not factory.
There is no real leather in a 914...I guess maybe they mean the shifter boot. biggrin.gif

Is a '76 2.0 only 84hp?
I also wonder when it ran last?
[/quote]
tod914
Is that Georgia fee on top of out of state tax? Or does that only apply if it's going to be registered in Georgia?
JawjaPorsche
Good Question. This is the first year and nobody seems to know exactly what is going on. sad.gif

Here is link:

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/234824...ed-by-title-tax

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 03:27 PM) *

Is that Georgia fee on top of out of state tax? Or does that only apply if it's going to be registered in Georgia?

dcheek
Got my vote for the color. I hope it gets top dollar.
Dave
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 4 2013, 03:41 PM) *

Good Question. This is the first year and nobody seems to know exactly what is going on. sad.gif

Here is link:

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/234824...ed-by-title-tax

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 03:27 PM) *

So, say you won it at $20K
That's $20,000 + 3,000 + 150 = $23,150.
Add 7% $23,150 + 1,620 = $24,770.

Say you won at $30K
That's $30,000 + 4,500 + 150 = $34,650.
Add 7% $34,650 + 2,425 = $37,075.

I hate auctions, I haven't been to one in years just because of these back door fees.
Chris H.
That's ridiculous...fees fees fees. Kind of like refinancing a mortgage these days...can't "juice" the loan so they just charge you right up front and don't even hide it.

FYI IF this is the same car that Tod and I wanted to buy it sold for about $16k back in 2003-04...very high price at the time for a black bumper car. Not so much of an issue any more...but the BBB's were a real issue at the time.

BTW it's not a California model because it would have a CAT and a lot more junk in the engine bay. It would also have bumperettes, which make the bumpers even HEAVIER biggrin.gif ... (mine had them).
tod914
This has been bugging me. I knew I seen this car at some point in the past. The current milage is showing 43,615. When I inquired about this car when it was for sale back in May of 2009, it was showing 43,552 on the odometer. I think this car was put on Ebay at some point, but was originally in Pano. I posted photos from the po which show both the grill badges, decal on cleaner, and blue spark plug wires. Car was from CT. Vin number 4762901469. So, definetly not the same one out of Chicago that Chris and I were drooling over. 10/75 build date. The car was very nice, but not quite the same caliber as the Chicago car or Dave Cheeks. Looks like it received an excellent detailing. The red flags for me at the time were the car was suppose to be original paint, but the paint by the vin tag seems very rough/textured. Also appears to be overspray on the right corner of the rain tray.

If anyone is serious about bidding on the car, I'm happy to foward you the cooresponce from the gentleman I spoke with back in 2009. Was mainly done over the phone, but he did send me quite a few photos.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Might be the same car. There is a white like checkmark on the engine sound pad in the same spot as your picture and auction picture.

See Black Arrow in both pictures.
tod914
Good eye. What's your thoughts on the pebbly paint by the vin?
JawjaPorsche
I don't Know maybe it has been wrecked and repaired there? Maybe our paint experts on this forum can give their two cents.

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2013, 09:41 PM) *

Good eye. What's your thoughts on the pebbly paint by the vin?
JawjaPorsche
Paint experts: Take a look at this door jam and guess what happen here. This is a jam from a car with less than 44K miles.
markyb
look at the plug wires in the pics, definitely the same car, exact same positioning of the wires
the paint looks like a clearcoat in the tag area, and not factory quality
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(markyb @ Feb 4 2013, 10:43 AM) *

Ha, you totally beat me to posting this by a day! Perhaps not a car that will go for as much as its estimate but still quite nice none the less, lots of very cool lots and items going up for sale though, especially some of the vending machines... milk vending anyone?! beerchug.gif
IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 5 2013, 06:16 AM) *

Paint experts: Take a look at this door jam and guess what happen here. This is a jam from a car with less than 44K miles.

I am no paint expurt Tod, but that could be just adhesive residue or a ratty edge to the DOT label? the plastic labels shrink slightly over time and could leave this telltale condition.
markyb
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Feb 5 2013, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(markyb @ Feb 4 2013, 10:43 AM) *

Ha, you totally beat me to posting this by a day! Perhaps not a car that will go for as much as its estimate but still quite nice none the less, lots of very cool lots and items going up for sale though, especially some of the vending machines... milk vending anyone?! beerchug.gif
IPB Image

A crazy item, probably a cafeteria machine? this guy has some quirky stuff, it's probably better for me that I'm out West during this auction, I get a kick out of those little cars, always had an eye out for a really clean Isetta....
tod914
Amazing collection. 90% of those cars I never knew existed. Shame in a way to see it all auctioned off. Anyone here get a chance to see the museum?
JawjaPorsche
The auction was this past weekend. Does anyone know the winning bid on the red 914?
Sold for $24875.00.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(914 @ Feb 19 2013, 10:03 AM) *

Sold for $24875.00.

Wow! Thank you! When you pay that much for a 914 do you drive it or keep it as trailer queen?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.