Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone ever break a bilstein?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
so, going down my bumpy road into town sunday morning - I rounded a corner and went over a bump and BANG - something gives way in the rear. I pull over and look around and can't find anything - so I continue on my way and there is a noticeable clunk on each bump coming from right rear - can't tell just where.

I pick up the chicken wings (no shortage!) and head back up the hill and the clunk gets worse and I start to notice some handling - shock absorber weirdness.....almost home, and then the right rear tires starts to make contact with the inner wall of the car and the apparently "not cut far enough" remnants of the rear quarter panel.

Jacked her up - pulled off the tire and wow - it appears the bilstein has failed! Top plastic torn part way off, puddle of oil below. What gives? I don't see anything else amiss under there - do they just fail like this?

I can push down on the right rear and there is only spring - no shock absorption whatsoever, and the clunk. Not sure what is clunking actually - maybe the guts of the shock?

they were a new-ish set of shocks, I'm told by the PO, and running well up to the Bang-clunk experience. I guess I'm in the market for a new shock?

thoughts? confused24.gif
tdClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Kinda rare. But... "Tire Rubbing"??? How's your inner suspension ear?
monkeyboy
Looks like you blew the lid off it. I have seen off road shocks do that, but only when the massively bottom out.
tadink
weeeeellll there is more to the story -

I think that the top nut came off, then when I went over a bump the shock top pulled out and rattled around loose - the weight of the car must have kept stuff sorta in place - but I imagine there was some torque on the strut and that must have blown a seal.

the strut top was pulled down a few rungs on the spring - have a look at the pic.

morale of the story - let's all go our and check the tension on those nuts!

<do I get bonus points for working out a "McGiver-solution" on a spring-tensioner?>

so, one blown shock, I'll pick up a pair so I have a matched set. sigh.

cheers all - its only money! beer3.gif

td

Click to view attachment
eric9144
Bilstien HQ is in SoCal, nearly next door to where I work, they do repair and revalve work there, you might want to contact them. Might be cost effective to go that route...

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA. 92064
1-858-386-5900
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.