Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slick siphon trick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
My parts car had half a tank of gas I needed to drain. Thought I'd share a little trick to make a super quick and easy siphoner. Nothing revolutionary, but if you haven't seen this, it's good to know...

I took a piece of hose, and poked a hole in the side near one end. Put the other end in the gas tank. Stuck an air nozzle in the hole... Hit the air for a couple seconds to start the siphon, and dropped the end in a bucket. Viola.

FAT DANNY
nice.
Cairo94507
Very cool little trick. beer.gif
euro911
Inserting the air nozzle downwind in the hose (pointed towards the bucket) creates a vacuum in the section upwind of the nozzle, hence in the hose coming out of the tank.

I forget who made it, but I used to have a long nose air nozzle that had an additional port in the handle allowing me to connect a hose to siphon from a can of paint thinner - sprayed the paint thinner out of the nozzle at high velocity. It was great for cleaning stubborn greasy parts or into hard to reach nooks and crannies

Need to locate another one idea.gif
rick 918-S
[s] first.gif
malcolm2
Very smart idea. Anyone old enough to have a waterbed? And be lucky enough to move it from apartment to apartment?

The fill kit came with a nice siphon that attached to the sink. Turn the sink on and the water bed hose was attached perpendicular and the flow caused a siphon. Took a long time, and used alot of water, but most of the water did finally come out of the mattress.
bulitt
My waterbed was on the second floor. Would hook up a garden hose to the bed and throw it out the window and connect it to the faucet on the side of the house. Turn the water on until it filled the hose, pinch the hose, disconnect the faucet and release the pinch. Came out fast.
r3dplanet
Venturi effect!
Spoke
Nice. That's some nasty gas. icon8.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 4 2013, 07:09 PM) *

laugh.gif You got that right! It reeked bad. I don't know how long it was in there, but at least eight years. icon8.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 4 2013, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 4 2013, 07:09 PM) *

laugh.gif You got that right! It reeked bad. I don't know how long it was in there, but at least eight years. icon8.gif

Looks fine to me. confused24.gif
JmuRiz
Looked like gas with Stabil in it to me...
Krieger
That really sucks!
rhodyguy
pulling old gas is the perfect application for a facet pump. they'll fill up a large gas can pretty quicky, don't walk away while it's pumpin'.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.