Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I admit that I am out of my league when it comes to electical wiring, theory, and reading diagrams, so I have a question....

I am going thru the wiring on my 75 L-jet. I replaced the OEM fuse box and just kinda kept going. I towed this car home 18 months ago, so I have no idea what works and what does not.

Anyway, I see a heavier gauge wire in the gas tank area (tank is out). The wire is Black with a Red stripe. I followed it back to the relay board and figured it has something to do with the fuel pump. The color diagram on PP leads me to the FP relay and then on to a white wire labeled 12.
Click to view attachment

The PO has the fuel pump wired directly to the coil with a heavy red wire that I know was not OEM. And this mystery BLK/RED wire is cut on the Fuel Pump end. Any ideas why the PO did this? Will I need a new relay, maybe?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Clark
Spoke
Where is the fuel pump located now? Under the gas tank or in the engine compartment?

The wire you successfully traced back to the relay board is for the fuel pump when it is located under the gas tank. The positive terminal of the fuel pump goes to the black/red wire. the negative terminal of the fuel pump goes to chassis ground.
timothy_nd28
I'm guessing that he aborted the Ljet FI system, and installed a carb low pressure fuel pump. The dual relay thats mounted near the ECU brain, controls the fuel pump.
malcolm2
This wire had been cut. it had no connector. Car is a 75 1.8 with L-jet and the pump is under the tank. All the FI stuff was installed when I got the car, so no evidence of carbs. Not sure about the DUAL RELAY tho. I don't see that mentioned in the Haynes book either.
timothy_nd28
Dual relay looks like this
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Pin 88d feeds power to your fuel pump
timothy_nd28
or the dual relay could look like this, different styles exist.
Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 5 2013, 01:01 AM) *

Dual relay looks like this
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Pin 88d feeds power to your fuel pump

Wait a minute....I think it is either currently connected to the FI harness or still in the bag when it came back from Bowlsby. I'll dig around and find it, then probably have more questions.

Now I'm getting somewhere. I hope.... unsure.gif
timothy_nd28
If you can, post some pictures of your setup
Dave_Darling
The dual relay should be hanging off the battery tray.

--DD
L73

ahhh the L-Jet headbang.gif I ran the L-jet for five years on my 75 1.8 before i gave up and went to the Dellorto 36s... How is you Air Flow Meter ?? That is the heart and soul of the L Jet... Big silver thing driver side in the engine bay... Open the black lid and you will see a needle...with the key on ...if you move that needle your fuel pump should start pumping if the wires are hooked up right....
I have a bunch of parts if you need them.....
malcolm2
QUOTE(L73 @ Feb 5 2013, 04:17 PM) *

ahhh the L-Jet headbang.gif I ran the L-jet for five years on my 75 1.8 before i gave up and went to the Dellorto 36s... How is you Air Flow Meter ?? That is the heart and soul of the L Jet... Big silver thing driver side in the engine bay... Open the black lid and you will see a needle...with the key on ...if you move that needle your fuel pump should start pumping if the wires are hooked up right....
I have a bunch of parts if you need them.....

car is totally stripped down. I rebuilt the engine about a year ago and i have been cleaning up rust since it was done. I am now putting stuff back together and finding other stuff that doesn't look right or had been disconnected by the PO.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I can dry fit everything together and test it.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 5 2013, 03:08 PM) *

The dual relay should be hanging off the battery tray.

--DD

I do remember that now. I guess that is what the zip tie is for. I found the relay in Bowlsby's bag.
malcolm2
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 5 2013, 02:27 PM) *

If you can, post some pictures of your setup

No engine yet, just now getting the wires back into each trunk. welder.gif Done welding and beginning to assemble. Trying to find all the parts I took off 18 months ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.