Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm free again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Short story.

End of 2011 I was let go from my position as an insurance adjuster. Merry Christmas to us. Spent all of 2012 on UE looking for work. UE ran out, and that week there was an add in the local paper for a manager position for a Tire-Lube Express manager at our local "mart" big box store. The wage being paid was, annualized, $200 a year more than UE was paying. For a department manager. Nice. Really? But it was work, health benefits were very reasonable, and the cobra insurance while on UE was eating us alive. It took 3 wks of UE to make the monthly health insurance pmt. But now I had work. 40 hrs a week, every weekend, and the shift was an afternoon to evening, so 10:30 to 7:30. Forever. Wed and thur was now my weekend. Nancy is not so crazy about these hours. I haven't been on my snowboard with her yet. Haven't been on a snowboard period. Not to many autox events on Wed and thur either.

Thursday last week I had an interview at a local auto dealership that also sells RV's. My background in insurance adjusting included doing estimates on RV's. My recent work experience included direct counter sales, parts inventory, supervising shop work. They need someone to run their parts and service department. They choose me.

Yesterday I received an offer from the dealership. This is a great thing.

I gave 2 wks notice today, and start up at the dealership on the 18th. Salary + $ bonus. Starting I should make about 1/2 what I did as an adjuster, but much more than "mart" was paying.

Bonus: now I work 1 saturday a month, and "normal" 8 hr days m-f. Nancy is much in favor of this. Base and % of bonus are negotiable for year #2. Work hard, learn fast, prove myself, make more. Thats all fine by me.

Super bonus: I now have an autox season again.

MegaBonus: We don't have to move from our cozy town of 8000 to find work thats worth doing. Nan keeps her job/home based business. AND- I'm close to Dad, as his only son, to keep a eye on him and help him out as he gets less young and less able. He lives 2 blocks from the dealership, and a 5 min drive from me. He turns 84 this year.
Cairo94507
Congratulations. We are certainly living in tough times for a host of reasons. I am glad that you stuck in their and it is turning around for you and your family.
FourBlades

Congratulations David, that sounds like a big improvement. piratenanner.gif

I am sure you will kick ass in your new job.

John
Mary Shortridge
Congratulations!!!
carr914
Good for You! thumb3d.gif
JawjaPorsche
When one door closes, another opens. Congratulations on hanging in there! beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Congrats! Maybe you can help me find my next RV! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
That is great news! You have one of the coolest houses. I would have a real issue having to move out of there. Glad you were able to score this and stay close to your dad.
rhodyguy
and close enough to have lunches with your pop. sadly, i don't have those opportunities. cherish them while you can.

congrats on the new position.

k
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

My son is on unemployment , Dec. 4 when I broke my hip he took over for my wife

he was at the Hos. & Rehab EVERY day great help to her but maybe more to me.

I can't put a price on that, the wife had this bad flue that's going around now. He

shoveled the snow went to the store , picked up RX's . I told him how proud of him I

was. His Ans.was not any where as proud of you as I have been all my life.

Dave slap.gif

billh1963
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Feb 5 2013, 11:12 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

My son is on unemployment , Dec. 4 when I broke my hip he took over for my wife

he was at the Hos. & Rehab EVERY day great help to her but maybe more to me.

I can't put a price on that, the wife had this bad flue that's going around now. He

shoveled the snow went to the store , picked up RX's . I told him how proud of him I

was. His Ans.was not any where as proud of you as I have been all my life.

Dave slap.gif

beerchug.gif
MrHyde
Its great when things just seem to work out... congrats on the job. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif Stay healthy, stay happy...
PeeGreen 914
Awesome news beerchug.gif
tscrihfield
Great news! Glad to hear! beerchug.gif

Thomas
greenie

You hung in there when things were tough, great news for you and your family!

Congratulations!

Gint
Grats! Sounds pretty good.
lonewolfe
Congratulations on your new job and thank you for sharing your what you've experienced over the last year or so. It sounds like you're on your way to great things. I know experienced automotive department managers can end up making a very nice living for themselves. I like how you did what you needed to to and seem to have kept a positive attitude. As a father, I know your Dad is very proud of you!
You seem to have a great attitude and that will take you a long way in life! I wish you the best of luck with the new job. Who knows, you might be doing this in a Porsche dealership someday.
aktion035.gif

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Feb 5 2013, 05:35 AM) *

Short story.

End of 2011 I was let go from my position as an insurance adjuster. Merry Christmas to us. Spent all of 2012 on UE looking for work. UE ran out, and that week there was an add in the local paper for a manager position for a Tire-Lube Express manager at our local "mart" big box store. The wage being paid was, annualized, $200 a year more than UE was paying. For a department manager. Nice. Really? But it was work, health benefits were very reasonable, and the cobra insurance while on UE was eating us alive. It took 3 wks of UE to make the monthly health insurance pmt. But now I had work. 40 hrs a week, every weekend, and the shift was an afternoon to evening, so 10:30 to 7:30. Forever. Wed and thur was now my weekend. Nancy is not so crazy about these hours. I haven't been on my snowboard with her yet. Haven't been on a snowboard period. Not to many autox events on Wed and thur either.

Thursday last week I had an interview at a local auto dealership that also sells RV's. My background in insurance adjusting included doing estimates on RV's. My recent work experience included direct counter sales, parts inventory, supervising shop work. They need someone to run their parts and service department. They choose me.

Yesterday I received an offer from the dealership. This is a great thing.

I gave 2 wks notice today, and start up at the dealership on the 18th. Salary + $ bonus. Starting I should make about 1/2 what I did as an adjuster, but much more than "mart" was paying.

Bonus: now I work 1 saturday a month, and "normal" 8 hr days m-f. Nancy is much in favor of this. Base and % of bonus are negotiable for year #2. Work hard, learn fast, prove myself, make more. Thats all fine by me.

Super bonus: I now have an autox season again.

MegaBonus: We don't have to move from our cozy town of 8000 to find work thats worth doing. Nan keeps her job/home based business. AND- I'm close to Dad, as his only son, to keep a eye on him and help him out as he gets less young and less able. He lives 2 blocks from the dealership, and a 5 min drive from me. He turns 84 this year.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.