Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 Done right.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
cary_todd
Adding pictures.

It is time for me to sell my beloved 914 sbc conversion. Building it was the hardest thing I have ever done next to my 4 year degree. I used every weekend for 1.5 years, in a pole barn on a gravel floor.
I bought the drive train from Steve H. at Renegade Hybrids. I have included some of his descriptions of the engine and 915 transaxle below.
After I bought the parts from him, I searched for the right car to put them in. It’s in a 73 yellow 914 with fiber glass flairs and minimal rust. I have almost all of the chassis stiffening kit in, but did not do the sections where the swing arms need to be dropped and then realigned.
Short List (which will grow longer as I recall things)
Tank red-coated. Carter Electric Fuel Pump.
Fuchs 16 inch wheels. Still nearly new tires.
Renegade Hybrids cooling kit, green stripe hose, new impeller in the water pump. Nice coolant neck.
911 SC front suspention with the aluminium cross member.
911 Carrera front rotors very low miles and them and the pads and calipers.
911 SC rear calipers and rotors, low miles too. Rear calipers are zinc coated rebuilt by PMB. Not cheap.
911 Brake MC.
Stainless steel lines.
915 transaxle low miles works perfect, as is possible with the cable shifter.
The cable shifter is the 800 dollar one.
New 911 CV axles and boots.
Dynoed at 246 rwhp and 300foot pounds.
Low profile intake. New cap rotor plugs and wires.
There is a dent on the passenger side door but I have it covered with a vinyl “Iron Cross” meatball… looks good.
No air of course, but ALL the hard stuff needed to build this car is done. She is my daily driver in good weather.
I guess you guys know what it takes in money to build these cars, and I did mine as right as I could. Only major thing left I would say is to finish out the chassis stiffening. Small job for someone with a welder.
Below are the details about the drive train.

The 915 conversion package I have was specifically designed for use in a 914 with a chevy V8. It's currently installed in one of my 914 V8 conversions, and cost a little over $10,300, I have the receipt from Renegade. The whole package has 2003 miles on it and I'd take $5000.

Basically, it's a complete transaxle conversion package from the transaxle, to the heavy duty axles, to the cable shifter. It is all top of the line and includes very expensive options like a custom 10:31 ring and pinion that makes the gear ratios perfect for a V8, it cruises at 76 mph in 5th gear at 2500 rpms, and 1st gear pulls very nicely. In a stock 915 first gear is pretty much unusable with a V8, and fifth gear is way too short on the freeway. It also has a 60% limited slip differential. The ring gear has been flipped internally to work in the 914's mid engine configuration.

It was built on a late aluminum, 915.68 that incorporates the 930 pinion bearing to provide more support for the bearing race, which is a weak spot for earlier 915's

The whole assembly is complete, from the custom transmission mount, to the axle and clutch packages. It has also been modified to use an electric speedometer. It has the hardened starter ring gear as well. The heavy duty axle package is really necessary once horsepower is increased and includes the axles, boots, CV's and adapters. It also comes with the custom clutch linkage which works great.

All the transaxle work was performed by California Motorsports, arguably the best Porsche gearbox company there is.

The engine was built by Renegade and runs really well. It was completely balanced and is very smooth at high RPMs.

This is a complete running and driving package that includes everything except the radiator and hoses. The engine has around 20k miles on it and runs synthetic oil. I just took it to Moab Utah with friends and it ran well from sea level up to 7000 feet. The engine package also includes the custom exhaust which gives the engine a great sound, but isn't too loud. I'll also throw in the high torque mini starter, the electric speedometer, and it already has the crankshaft pilot bearing installed.
It's running an elgin pro stock cam which suits the 914 really well. Picking the proper cam is one of the trickier parts of doing a V8 conversion. A 2000 pound car has a lot different needs than a 4500 pound truck. It still has a good idle, but pulls well at the upper RPM range. I just checked my notes, and the engine has 22,450 miles, and the transaxle has 2003 miles
(Please Add 5K miles to these numbers)

The block casting number is 3970010, it is a 350 cubic inch motor. The car is an original Renegade in house conversion, done before they moved here to Vegas several years ago.

The headers are coated and it's running dual supertrapp mufflers. I didn't expect them to sound as good as they do. One of my biggest complaints with many conversions is how they sound. A lot of them are so loud they are uncomfortable to drive. They reverberate into the passenger compartment and just don't sound right. This setup is quiet enough to have a conversation with a passenger, even with the top off, but it sounds good enough that you'll catch yourself rolling down the window to hear the exhaust if you are doing some spirited driving. This is the only conversion car I've had that my wife will ride in.

By the way, I'll throw in the custom center console if you want it. Renegade built it to be the perfect height with the shifter.

This engine/trans setup is really great for a car you plan to drive a lot. It has a much lower RPM on the freeway than most other setups in 5th gear, which will really help fuel economy, and it has a true first gear that pulls well to close to 50mph. There really aren't any compromises. Yes, you can build a 450+hp monster, but the truth is that even with 350hp the cars are brutally fast and have a similar power to weight ratio to a new Z06 corvette.

If you are only going to have one 914, this drivetrain gives you a really nice combination of power, economy, and comfort. It's not easy to get all those qualities into one car. It actually gets better mileage than a 914-6, but is much, much faster.

Ok, I will post pictures of this car as she sits now, but remember please this is a running driving car, and I am just asking slightly over half of what I have into it. I want to sell it fast, and though this may seem silly, I can’t just keep dropping price for ever. You guys know, that when we build cars, we have to do it because we want to, not because we ever expect to get our money back.
Here is a quick run down of what these items cost.
915 Transaxle (I am guessing 5000, though it was 10k to build custom)
Radiator 1000
Motor (1000)
Nice Chassis 2000
Brakes 1000 easy
I want to sell this car. I am in a hurry and have other priorities. Car is located in North West Arkansas 72903. Clear title. Tagged. Start it and drive it home.

Asking $10000. You get a nice car, and a free motor, free wheels, free tires, all of my free work.

Please email me directly at cary_todd@yahoo.com or call or text my cell 479-285-9556.

Thanks.
cary_todd

I have more photos, some on other computers. Please let me know if you are interested I can send them.

Chris H.
Turned your pics for you.... looks like a nice car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BKLA
bump for a screamin' deal!
cary_todd
I will help buyer with shipping, or what ever I can do.
boxstr
Do ou have more ou can send.
Thanks
Craig
cary_todd
Some things I have forgotten about.

Rebuilt Pedal Cluster.
Rennsport Aluminium Pedal board.
Console around shifter loaded with temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges.

btw, car runs 170 degrees all year round. It once got to 175 on a very hot arkansas at 80mph. Took a while for it to creep up there. Like an hour.

Ignition switch, starter switch and radiator fan toggles switches on a plate where radio use to be.

Dash has one of those formed covers on it.

One factory key, I try not to use it for anything other than unlocking the steering wheel.

BAck of he car has the 911 reflector, I use a thin screw driver to open the trunk.

Genuine 16 inch fuchs spare goes with car.

New yellow top battery, mounted in the frunk.

Fire extinguisher mounted to the harness bar. Harness on both driver and passenger side.

Modern fuse box upgrade.

Koni struts on the rear, were on the car when I got it. in good shape.

Sway bars front and rear. I think the rear sway bar is rubbing too hard, get a creeky sound when I go over speed bumps.

New 200lb springs.

Lug nuts are the light weight aluminium ones.

Full 5 lug conversion all around of course, not redrilled.

Wheel spacers all around, with the word "turbo" on them.

Wheel bearings in good shape, have regreased them.

Bumper tops in very good condition, someone had painted them yellow before I got the car. They are now trim black and look good.

The flare job is actually pretty good, but if you wanted to do a show winning paint job then you would have to give some places some attention.

The dent in passenger door is not too bad, and hard to notice under the Iron Cross meatball. It looks pretty good actually.

Rear view mirrors on both sides of the car.

Some rubber seals replaced but not all of them.

Carpet kit is not in car, but I busted out all of the loose sound deadening material in the floor and did some rust repairs before I installed the in cabin log and cross member reinforcments.

Bob Nardi leather steering wheel.

Super trap mufflers. Car sounds great. No radio. None needed.

I would drive this car anywhere my middle aged body would let me. Never broke down, no issues with driving, ever.

Sorry I can not be faster with pictures but they are on a computer two hours from here I am trying to get them.
bulitt
Trans alone is worth 5-6k as he says!
cary_todd
Keep remembering stuff and then forgetting.

Rear swingarms are reinforced as well.

Windshield is excellent.

new bulbs everywhere but the cluster, including new headlights.

Billet output flanges on the transaxle to fit the new 911 axles and cv joints.

Still trying to get more pictures for you guys.

cary_todd
Ok. Adding what pictures I can.
cary_todd
I have a 25M zip file of pics I took today if anyone wants it.
cary_todd
Would anyone like to call and talk about this car? I am a single guy with 4 cars and a motorbike, and no garage. It makes life difficult. 479-285-9556. I love her but she needs to go.
cary_todd
ZF 60% Limited Slip by the way. Folks, I think I am going to have to go to ebay. I hoped to let it go to a 914 person on the board where I have learned so much, but she has to go!

sixnotfour
wow, that's a good deal, Good Luck with the sale....If only I didn't promise the wife buying back my first 914-6 was the last...

Great 914-8..I always wanted a V-8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.