Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17" rims and ride height?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
hey all -

I've put some 17" rims on the car and am not that happy with the increased ride height. Running 205/50 17's on the front and 255/40 17's on the rear - sorry no pix as she is up on jackstands <again> at the moment....

There have been some others who have posted up pix with the taller 17" rims, what are you all doing to get the car back down on her lines? The rear height adjustment is pretty straightforward, but the front needs adjustable height options = $$$$

what's the current line of thinking here? can you post some pix of your cars as they sit?

thx

td
carr914
I think 50's are too tall for 17" Fronts. Front Ride Height is done by the Torsion Bar Adjustment
McMark
T.C., you can adjust the torsion bars, but you run into the bump stops pretty quick. Raised spindles are the $$$ option.
quadracerx
Ok....Ill bite...Who makes raised spindles? Are they 914 specific or for 911 or 944?
tadink
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 5 2013, 03:10 PM) *

Ok....Ill bite...Who makes raised spindles? Are they 914 specific or for 911 or 944?

Anybody give these a try?

The Rebel S Racing (RSR) Products Front Coil Over Kit enables you to convert your Bilstein strut housings to coil overs! It can be used to replace torsion bars or work with them.

• Allows ride height to be adjusted with ease.
• 2.25" ID Coil springs (NOT included) allow for spring rates greater than what is available in torsion bar sizes.
• Progressive or Tender/Main spring combinations can be used resulting in a modern comfortable yet very well handling ride.
• Upper spring hat features our proprietary design sealed thrust bearing which proves to be the cleanest solution in steering/spring rotation. Allows for maximum camber adjustments to be made.
• Square threaded design is stronger and more resistant to dings, dirt, and binding associated with the traditional Bilstein RSR struts. Square threads actually lock the spring perch in place under load, this is backed up by a nylon tipped set screw for extra security.
• Shortened seal caps allow for 19mm more suspension travel.
• All components are anodized for great durability and appearance.
• Fits all 911, 930, 912, 914 with Bilstein front strut housings

Kit includes: (2) T6-6061 Square Threaded Tubes (2) Upper Spring Hats with Sealed Thrust Bearings (2) Adj. Lower Spring Perches (2) Weld-on rings (2) Shortened Seal Saps with new seals installed.

NOTE: Springs and Bilstein Struts are NOT included. Use with 2.25" ID Coil springs - Eibach or Hyperco recommended.

Elliot Cannon
17 inch rims with a lower profile tire shouldn't really raise the ride height that much. I've had 17 inch rims on my car with 205/50/17 tires for 8 years and was able to adjust the ride height with the torsion bar adjusters with no problem.
andys
17's with the same tire sizes you list.

Andys

Jgilliam914
I am not sure what you had on before the change to 17" wheels but this is what I do know. I had 15" with 205-50 with 225-50 then changed to 225 -45 to 245-40 on 17" rims. Ground clearance went up 3/8 of a inch because these wheel and tire combinations are close to 3/4" taller. You wouldnt know it by looking at it. I have not had the pleasure of knowing if there is any bump stop issues since I am now just getting around to putting it all back together again. RSR style spindles and front suspension would lower your ground clearance in the front but the cost factor is quite high and I see no benefit unless you plan on making it a track car
shoguneagle
Ride level in final essence makes the car look good or bad. I think there are other considerations that do affect and have to be considered which include suspensions, tires, body stressing, etc.

My questions involve what was on the car prior to the 17inch rims and tires. In addition, type of front and rear suspensions, springs, torsion bars, sway bars, .shocks, etc make important considerations into the basic problem you have defined.

The size of the tires in front seem to be ok and should give some tire movement in the side walls; the rear seems a little too much and will not give any side wall movement.

I am running 205/55-17 Cup II in front (7 inch width); Rear has 235/50-17 Cup II (9 inch width). I am running increased sidewall to provide me a softer surpension/ride; I need more flexibility for an otherwise stiff suspension. Profile level is a little high in the rear but I can live with it.

Steve
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif
raw1298
205/35 17 on the front, 225/40/17 on the rear. Front was lowered before I bought the car.
Elliot Cannon
I seem to recall reading a long time ago that the stock tire diameter when inflated was about 25 inches. Pretty much what I've had on my car for a long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.