Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you attach the two springs for the glove box door?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
For the life of me I cannot get these two springs attached. I can get them on either in the hole on the door itself or the housing for the door, but not both. You can't possibly get your fingers behind the housing to attach the springs on both ends. This is driving me nuts. Somebody please help me before I lose my mind. Thank you. blink.gif
76-914
Long hemostats and lots of cussing. I would rather rebuild an engine than do this again.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2013, 09:44 AM) *
Long hemostats and lots of cussing. I would rather rebuild an engine than do this again.

agree.gif

One of the worst jobs on a 914 ...
headbang.gif
tumamilhem
Hemostats?
Bob L.
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 6 2013, 12:08 PM) *

Hemostats?

Surgical clamps. Like delicate needle nose pliers with a locking handle.
andys
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 6 2013, 11:08 AM) *

Hemostats?

Hemostat; common name: Roach clip sunglasses.gif

Andys
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 6 2013, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 6 2013, 11:08 AM) *

Hemostats?

Hemostat; common name: Roach clip sunglasses.gif

Andys

lol-2.gif

I agree as well. I took mine off part way to get to the nuts for the dash pad. It took me nearly an hour and a half to get ONE spring back on. Good luck!
tumamilhem
Damn. :/

Well which end you you guys think is better to start with? When taking the door off, put the spring on the door itself first or the hinge?
toolguy
I found the easiest way [for me] was to remove the pivot screws, get the springs in their holes, and then put the pivots back in. . there is no magic way. . it is a pain in the butt.

It wasn't mentioned, and IIRC, I did it with the fiber box removed . .
tumamilhem
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 6 2013, 02:05 PM) *

I found the easiest way [for me] was to remove the pivot screws, get the springs in their holes, and then put the pivots back in. . there is no magic way. . it is a pain in the butt.

It wasn't mentioned, and IIRC, I did it with the fiber box removed . .

I have the pivot screws and door off. I'm trying to figure out which holes to put the springs in first - the ones on the door or the ones on the hinge? Then use the hermostat to try to attach to the other holes.
Elliot Cannon
I didn't even bother with them. I left them off. The door stays up when I open it and stays down when I close it. No problem.
GeorgeRud
Perhaps you need to use the special Porsche approved glovebox spring tool (914.555.1212), available by special order only from Germany for only $478 Euros! biggrin.gif

Truly, hemostats are your friend when doing jobs like this!
pete000
I also agree, it is easier to hook both springs on with the screws removed and then finagle it into place and then put the screws in.

I imagine the door was placed before the dash was installed in the body as an assembly at the factory making it a bit easier.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 6 2013, 02:44 PM) *

Perhaps you need to use the special Porsche approved glovebox spring tool (914.555.1212), available by special order only from Germany for only $478 Euros! biggrin.gif

Truly, hemostats are your friend when doing jobs like this!

Damn you, Porsche! headbang.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 6 2013, 05:14 PM) *

Damn you, Porsche! headbang.gif

Considering how easy it is to get to just about every other inch on these cars, this really is the only major headache I've come across.

Much better than getting to the upper starter bolt on a Mustang or trying to reach the distributor on an old Chevy (WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUT IT AT THE BACK OF THE ENGINE?) smile.gif
Jeffs9146
this really is the only major headache I've come across.

Becides the master cylinder resevore pipes?? I thought they were a major headache!! blink.gif
914itis
The easiest way was to leave off the springs after 2 hours . Works fine for me .
FourBlades
Hello aftermarket kit for easier to attach springs?

How it would work I have no idea...

John
Valy
Screws off and connect to the box first.
You may want to tape the box end in place it else it will detach after few tries (or just first one).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.